1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

THe sprit of Elijah

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by psalms109:31, Apr 17, 2010.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Malachi 4:5

5 "See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the LORD comes.

2 Kings 2:9
    When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, "Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?" "Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit," Elisha replied.

2 Kings 2:15
    The company of the prophets from Jericho, who were watching, said, "The spirit of Elijah is resting on Elisha." And they went to meet him and bowed to the ground before him.

Luke 1:17
    And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

I for one don't believe in reincarnation.

Is the spirit of Elijah himself reincarnated in John the Baptist or is it the Holy Spirit that is in Elijah filling John the Baptist?

2. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The "spirit" was the Holy Spirit "with power" was the anointing of the Holy Spirit and not Elijah's spirit. John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit from his mothers womb even. Now with that said Elijah did make a personal appearance with Moses in the New Testement....Matthew 17:1-9 After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.
    Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah."

While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!"

When the disciples heard this, they fell facedown to the ground, terrified. But Jesus came and touched them. "Get up," he said. "Don't be afraid." When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus.

As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus instructed them, "Don't tell anyone what you have seen, until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead."

#2 Jedi Knight, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
  3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No, it speaks of the kind of ministry, that there would be one with the kind of ministry that Elijah had. In other words, John the Baptist would be like Elijah in in his ministry and preaching.

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

I would agree. My main reason for this, in contrast to Jediknight's view, is that scripturally we do not have the Holy Spirit ever being called as the spirit of any man.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's also two other passages.

I believe that John the Baptist has the same job as Elijah - bringing the people to God.

Here's a good commentary that explains what I believe, but says it better than I can.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

.....i.e. 'in like manner', IMO.

Similarities (and I'm sure there's more):

Both Elijah and John had rustic lifestyles and dress (2 Kgs. 1:8; Matt. 1:21);

Both preached judgment (1 Kgs. 17:1; Matt. 3:7 – 10);

Both denounced a king (1 Kgs. 21:19; Matt. 14:4);

Both were brought down by a woman;

Both prophets experienced great success at one point in their work.

Both became discouraged (1 Kgs. 19:4, 10; Matt. 11:2 – 3);

Both were followed by a greater prophet—Elijah by Elisha and John by Jesus (1 Kgs. 19:9; Matt. 3:11 – 12).

http://www.wilmettechurchofchrist.org/bulletin/2009/2009 03 08.pdf

Contrasts:

Elijah never died - he was taken up to heaven in a fiery chariot – whereas John was martyred by Herod.

Elijah performed many remarkable miracles. John, as far as we know, performed no miracles at all.

http://revdhj.wordpress.com/2008/07/26/the-spirit-and-power-of-elijah/

#6 kyredneck, Apr 17, 2010
  7. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

opps double posted

#7 Jedi Knight, Apr 17, 2010
  8. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Allen the point was that he had the ministry of the Holy Spirit not just somebody talking stuff. Today there are those who are STILL waiting for Elijah to show up because they think it ment HIS "Elijah's" spirit "or person" and missed the point of the text similarly as what you are doing. John the Baptist had the same spirit and power "ministry" on his life...... they we just passing the baton.

#8 Jedi Knight, Apr 17, 2010
  9. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

The anointing of the Holy Spirit is just that "teaching" as 1 John points out. That is the ministy of the holy spirit and we preach what He"the spirit" teaches us.

10. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Forerunner

Malachi 3

1 "See, I will send my messenger, who will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant, whom you desire, will come," says the LORD Almighty.

2 But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner's fire or a launderer's soap. 3 He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the LORD will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness, 4 and the offerings of Judah and Jerusalem will be acceptable to the LORD, as in days gone by, as in former years.

Malachi 4:5-6 (New International Version)

5 "See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the LORD comes. 6 He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers; or else I will come and strike the land with a curse."

Is Elijah promised as a forerunner for the first or second coming or both?

#10 psalms109:31, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2010