1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Star Spangled Banner

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Salty, Oct 13, 2010.

1. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I'll give you that. It's a very stately tune.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So has anybody learned the words lately?

3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I am not in a position to give a view about the words of each, as I am British. But musically, I agree with Jaigner.

The pitch range of "The Star-Spangled Banner" goes from B-flat just below middle C, to F over an octave and a half higher, and is a huge one. Offhand, I can't think of a hymn tune with a range as large as that. The music for "America the Beautiful" has a range of just over an octave.

I would agree also that the melodic line of "America the Beautiful" flows more naturally than that of SSB.

And I say that, even though the music for SSB was written by a British composer, John Stafford Smith, not for the US national anthem, but for an English drinking song, "To Anacreon in Heav'n" :)

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Drinking song eh.....then I like all the more! Probably sounds better after a coupla pints. :love2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Anacreon_in_Heaven

5. billwald

billwald New Member

6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bombs bursting in air

An interesting bit of military trivia: The fifth line of SSB: " And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air..."

The bombs were not supposed to burst in the air. Apparently, the British Ammo Ministry were having quality control problems with their bomb fuses--the burn rate was very unpredictable--bursting in flight instead of on target. They may have damaged some eardrums but not many ramparts and walls.

We have had a system called: Assault Breaker, not unlike the older "grapeshot; but "airbursts" would have a use in tactical nuclear scenarios.

The SSB can still makes tears in eyes of those who defend the U.S. Constitution--uniformed or otherwise.

Peace,

Bro. James