1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Subject of John 12:39-41

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Oct 18, 2014.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,
    40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.
    41 These things said Esaias, when he saw his glory, and spake of him.

Who is Christ speaking about? He says that this was spoken by Isaiah when Isaiah saw him in his glory in Isaiah 6. The historical context of Isaiah is a nation already hardened in rebellion against God and in danger of a prophesied coming judgement due to their hardness of heart. The same context is true in the gospel accounts as Christ has predicted another coming Judgement due to the same hardness of heart.

Hence, he is speaking about those, especially those among the ruling class who had hardened their heart against Christ which preceded the attempt to have him killed.

However, does this condition described require a preceding "neutral" condition in regard to the human nature toward God? We think not! Man is by nature already predisposed to be at enmity toward God and this is proven in every child born of man. You NEVER need to teach children to do wrong - that comes by natural disposition (Rom. 8:7). No parent can truthfully deny that as it is self-evident to all around them if their parent is so deluded and incapable of recognizing it.

Exposure to the law/light brings this predisposed inclination to light and that is the very design God had for the law, to expose the fallen condition of man by confronting him with light.

Rom. 7:7 ¶ What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
    8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

The depraved nature lies somewhat dormant until it is confronted by light. The light of conscience, the light of the law both educate man in regard to what is sin. The dormant depraved nature responds one of two ways when confronted by light.

1. Attempts to remove itself from condemnation by attempting to obey the Law which is a futile exercise that never works but only increases the condemnation - religious hardening.

2. Rebels against the light by justifying itself, creating its own standard of right and wrong that fits its desires. searing conscience.

Apart from a DIFFERENT HEART the "old" fleshly heart always responds by hardening against the light either by religious hardening or outright searing of conscience by self-justification.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The passage in John 12 has always fascinated me for a number of reasons

First, John says they COULD NOT believe. He did not say they WOULD NOT believe, but could not.

So why couldn't they. John quotes Isaiah as saying God had hardened them and blinded them. And why so? Lest they see and understand and be converted.

The passag specifically says the hardening and blinding were acts of God, and the express purpose was to keep them from being converted.

Now, can I explain this?

Nope.

3. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In Romans 1:18-32 there is a devolution where God gives them over to an irreversible downward spiral.

4. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Luke 11:
    47 Woe to you! For you build the tombs of the prophets, and your fathers killed them. 48 In fact, you bear witness that you approve the deeds of your fathers; for they indeed killed them, and you build their tombs. 49 Therefore the wisdom of God also said, ‘I will send them prophets and apostles, and some of them they will kill and persecute,’ 50 that the blood of all the prophets which was shed from the foundation of the world may be required of this generation, 51 from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah who perished between the altar and the temple. Yes, I say to you, it shall be required of this generation.

1 Thessalonians 2:
    15 who killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets and also drove us out. They displease God and are hostile to everyone 16 in their effort to keep us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved. In this way they always heap up their sins to the limit. The wrath of God has come upon them at last.

Proverbs 29:10 The bloodthirsty hate a person of integrity and seek to kill the upright.

Matthew 23:15 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.

John 7:25 [ Division Over Who Jesus Is ] At that point some of the people of Jerusalem began to ask, “Isn’t this the man they are trying to kill?

2 Corinthians 3:
    14 But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. 15 Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. 16 But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.