1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Sum and Substance of All Theology

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by npetreley, Jun 15, 2004.

1. dttw_aic

dttw_aic New Member

"And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him." Luke 15:20

In the parable of the prodigal son, which is told to demonstrate the way God seeks the lost, who caused the son to be accepted by the father?

This verse tells us that it wasn't until the father, who represents God, saw the son, who represents lost man, coming to him that he had compassion on him. If we say that it was the son who caused the father to accept him, then it would mean that the son should bost, we know that this is not true, as you have said. Now we have a problem, because according to your logic, since the son made the action first, he was the one who caused his acceptance. From this we can see that such logic cannot stand up to the word of God. Even though the father had compassion on the son only because he first saw the son coming to him, it was not by the son that he was accepted, it was instead by the father. This is the case with all salvation.

I, through the gospil of crist seeing that I was living in sin, chose to seek God. When God saw me, even as far of as I was, he had compassion on me, came running to me, put his arms around my neck, and kissed me. This is how I was saved.