1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Ten Commandments

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Just from simply typing in the word "commandments" into my desktop Bible, I come up with all of these Bible verses.

I find it astonishing that supposed Christians could claim that anyone who believes we must keep the ten commandments must be in a "cult".

Starting with these 3 very basic verses that clearly say because we are under grace, this in no way means that we no longer have to keep the commandments...

It is obvious that too many Christians misunderstand what God's grace is all about and think it nullifies God's commandments.

Rom:3:31: Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Rom:6:2: God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Rom:6:15: What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

1Jn:3:15: Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

Mt:5:19: Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Mt:15:9: But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mt:19:17: And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Mt:22:40: On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Mk:7:7: Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mk:10:19: Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

Lk:1:6: And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

Lk:18:20: Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

Jn:14:15: If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Jn:14:21: He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Jn:15:10: If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

1Cor:7:19: Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

1Thes:4:2: For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.

Ti:1:14: Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

1Jn:2:3: And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1Jn:2:4: He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1Jn:3:22: And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

1Jn:3:24: And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1Jn:5:2: By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

1Jn:5:3: For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

2Jn:1:6: And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Rv:12:17: And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Rv:14:12: Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Rv:22:14: Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

To come to the conclusion that we no longer have to keep the commandments and that anyone who believes we DO have to keep them must be in a "cult" seems absolutely absurd to me in light of the multitude of Bible verses given to us.

Disguise it as they may... I believe it is an effort to cover up for a secret love of sin.

How could any honest person claim the commandments do no longer matter or that it is some sort of moral option that we have as to whether or not we want to keep them.

3. nate

nate New Member

Claudia do you keep all the laws of the OT or just the 10 Commandments?

4. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Nate,

I think we all know which commandments God is referring to in the New Testament

Mk:10:

17: And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?

19: Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well I preach you must keep the commandments and if they want to call that a cult then they are calling Jesus a cult for that is what He preached also and when it comes to we can't preach what The Lord preached we better take inventory of our preaching. Everyone that says you don't have to keep them if you question them they believe you can't lie, commit adultery, steal, etc but they want to call them by another name. Well thats alright with me as long as they keep them. I ask, which one can you break and go to Heaven or be saved. Tell me so I will know.

6. nate

nate New Member

I'm just wondering why Jesus skipped the first commandment in the verse that you posted. In fact Jesus never says remember to keep the sabbath holy. Also the commandment to not eat Pork is not in the Ten Commandments. I guess my question is how do you decide which OT laws one is to follow?

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God says "Love the Lord your God with all your heart".

The unbeliever challenges with "oh yeah!! Why do you promote that AS IF God is right??!! Do you really love God ALL the time with ALL your heart?"

They miss the point when they go down that road.

Christ said "IF you Love Me keep My commandments" John 14:14-15 He did not say "IF you Love me STOP others from trying to obey My Word".

I know this is a hard topic for some here - but lets be serious.

In Christ,

Bob

8. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

I'm just wondering why Jesus skipped the first commandment in the verse that you posted. In fact Jesus never says remember to keep the sabbath holy. Also the commandment to not eat Pork is not in the Ten Commandments. I guess my question is how do you decide which OT laws one is to follow? </font>[/QUOTE]Nate,

do you SERIOUSLY think Jesus would need to go through all 10 of the ten commandments in that list?

is it ok to worship idols since Jesus didnt mention that one in that list?

and all you are trying to do with bringing up the dietary issues is to skirt the issue here which is the 10 commandments.

The truth is that when presented to you THIS WAY... point blank... you all KNOW the Bible says to keep the commandments and its a shame how you will try and weasel around this issue.

we arent talking about old testament laws we are talking about the ten commandments...so just stop it

Claudia

9. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Amen to you Brother Bob! you cant lie, commit adultery and steal and still call yourself a Christian.

Claudia

10. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Right, its always "well do youuuuuuu keep all the commandments?" "Are you saying that youuuuuuuu have no sin?"

Claudia

11. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

I would submit that there is not one commandment of the Decalogue that is not echoed somewhere in the New Testament, and most several times.

In the words of the A-1 commercials, "Yeah, it's that important."

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no repeat of the commandment to do no work on the sabbath day. And the commandment to never worship idols is repeated and compounded to loving the things of this world; but there is no repeat of the commandment to not make "any likeness of anything," which would forbid photography, engineering drawing, and computer icons.

13. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

I thought the commandment against idolatry in the Old Testament was just that--about idolatry. And idolatry is condemned in the New. It couldn't have meant "any likeness of anything." God DID, after all, command the placement of two cherubim over the Ark, and the creation of a bronze serpent, remember? As I asked in another thread, would God command sin for any reason?

As for the commandment about working on the Sabbath, that is the only one for which I'm at a loss for either a repeat or an equivalent. I will look, though.

Michael

14. KellyWhite

KellyWhite New Member

Who besides the Catholics are a cult?

I was a Catholic most of my life and was shocked to learn it was a cult. At least it's the world's largest cult.

15. nate

nate New Member

But worshiping idols is mentioned elsewhere in the NT worshiping on the Sabbath is not.

Well I worship on Sunday because historically the Church has always worshiped on Sunday. I'm not skirting the issue. Scripture may well indicate we should worship on Saturday's but the One,Holy, Universal Church has always worshiped on Sunday. Thus just as Christ told the apostles "whatever you bind will be bound whether in heaven or on earth and whatever you loose will be loosed in heaven and earth." They loosed the practice of worshiping on Saturday.
    In Christ,
    Nate

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Luke, chapter 23

"56": And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check Exodus 20:4 and see if it does not forbid making "any likeness of anything," and then it goes on to say you shall not "bow down to them or worship them." But tha first statement is a complete thought.

As to God himself commanding the gold cherubim to be molded and placed above the mercy seat, that of course is saying if God commanded it, then it proves that does not violate the commandment. Okay, since God ordered the Israelites to kill all the Amalekytes-- men, women, children, even their animals-- then wiping out a nation of people, combatants and non-combatants, is entirely within the bounds of the commandment to not murder?

Face it-- we all "pick and choose," and have different reasoning in how we go about it. My reasoning is that NT Christians are obligated to the commands given in the NT, as they are therein stated. That's why I do not consider NT Christians to have liabilities of doing no work on the seventh (or any) day, "tithing" of mint, dill, money, or lambs, or to not have sculpture as art. Personally, though, I think it's definitely for the best that we not have statues or any images of biblical personages. I have seen Catholics bow to a knee in front of a statue of Mary, and I think that does violate a NT command.

18. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Matthew 22-36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
    37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    38 This is the first and great commandment.
    39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Can't you people see that if you do this "first" commandment, if you really love the Lord you will try to keep all that He told us to do.

Some of you act like Jesus died so that we can sin anytime and still go to heaven with no penalty. With no thought about crucifying Him all over again when we willfully dis-obey.

Don't you understand what the Spirit says??

Peace,

Tam

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I think that is what we been saying is it not? That if you keep the Two He mentioned in Matt then you will be keeping them all.

20. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

Absolutely. If God told them to kill the people, it was just, and just killing is not murder. However, making an image is making an image no matter what you do with it. The analogy doesn't work.

Michael