1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Theology Program?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by LaymansTermsPlease, Jul 27, 2005.

1. LaymansTermsPlease

I searched the bb here for posts on this, but couldn't find any.

Anybody purchased or listened to the free online versions of the courses at http://www.thetheologyprogram.com ?

Courses include:

- Introduction to Theology
    - Bibliology and Hermeneutics
    - Trinitarianism
    - Humanity and Sin
    - Soteriology
    - Ecclesiology and Eschatology

I found it while looking over the NET bible.

It looks like it is nicely geared for layfolk and claims to be evangelical, but non-denominational. They use Grudem as a textbook.

I'm a 35 year old layperson with no formal theological training (computer programming is my trade) who has been interested in introductory bible college/seminary type classes for a while. In college back in my youth, I simply took Accounting and Computer Science courses at a secular university.

My interest is purely desire for knowledge and growth (what I mean is I have no calling or anything). My limits of formal teaching type service is that I've helped teach 3rd graders in choir at church for a few years, and my wife and I have taught preschoolers in Sunday School for several years now. I can't imagine leading a group of adults (shudder) [​IMG]

Over the years, I've only listened to some free apologetics and philosophy classes by Ron Nash, etc at biblicaltraining.org, read some Luther, general church history, Erickson theology tome, etc.

On the surface, this looks like even buying The Theology Program video DVD sets (99 bucks per course) would turn out cheaper than picking up some non-degree-seeking-student program night courses at a local bible college (Belmont or something similar).

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

Thanks

2. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I've no experience with it.

But, re the faculty: Several instructors have the ThM from DTS and Wallace teaches NT at DTS. IMO DTS is a very good school. A ThM requires four years of grad study . Usually this is MDiv +1. But DTS offers no MDivs. I am saying that the ThM from DTS is quite enough to teach at this level or even, at times, in grad studies ( two of my Western instructors in the MDiv courses only had ThMs) If I am confusing, ask for a clarification.

Therefore, IMO , the instructors are well qualified to offer what they offer. And as they are from DTS, they are Conservative, premillennial! Looks good!

Bill Grover

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I hesitate to say this, but, other than the dispensational premillenialism, they'd probably be okay [​IMG]

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Laymans,
    Have you investigated www.seminaryextension.org?

It's a partnership of the six Southern Baptist seminaries. Courses are fairly cheap.

5. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    With only a quick glance, it looks OK to me. DTS is a solid, respected school regarding their treatment of scripture and the essentials of theology. It appears to be a video series from this guy Patton, likely made as he taught at his church, which looks like a Bible Church. So if they're $99, it looks like a good deal.

If you want to go deeper, check out Southern Evangelical Bible College, which has a distance program that you can study at home. If you're interested in philosophy and apologetics, there's none better than SEBC.
    www.ses.edu

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've looked over the notebooks offered on-line at no cost.
    (quite an arduous download for us dial-up folk :( )

They intentionally use IRENIC THEOLOGY.

Irenic theology is defined as: "Theology that is done peaceably, accurately representing all views, even when you oppose them."

No overt pushing of particular points of view.

Rob