1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"The time is at hand" OUR WEPON, NOT SCOFFERS!

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by JohnBaskette, May 23, 2007.

1. JohnBaskette

JohnBaskette New Member

I have read verses similar to “for the time is at hand.”, like verses often occure throughout the Scripture. THIS IS OUR AMMUNITION AND NOT SCOFFER’S AMUNITION! Here’s why:
    In RE 1:3; Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.”

Here is what I gleaned this morning, notice the phrase; “for the time is at hand.” It is an example of the Word applying to THIS & ALL TIMES.

INSTEAD OF GIVING THE SCOFFERS AMMUNITION; they say, “All things continue…” It should be our ammunition! B/C EVIDENTLY GOD, SPEAKING THROUGH JOHN DID NOT MEAN IN JOHN’S TIME!

On the contrary, ‘…for the time is at hand.” Is for this age or later…

John could have scoffed but it was obvious that Christ hadn’t returned. By “comparing Scripture with Scripture”, “rightly dividing”, or simply taking a verse in context he would have known this & have been encouraged!

LIKEWISE, WE SHOULD TAKE THINGS IN CONTEXT, WHILE KNOWING THAT MANY PEOPLE IN DIFERENT TIMES HAVE READ, “for the time is at hand.” MANY MORE PERSONS IF GOD WILL.

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes He did.

3. JohnBaskette

JohnBaskette New Member

Grasshopper, What do you mean?

Dear Grasshopper;
    What do you mean?
    I said obviously God didn't mean in John's time.
    You said "Yes he did".
    Please explain, because JESUS HASN'T RETURNED YET!

4. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Mat 26:64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

John Gill

and coming in, the clouds of heaven. So Christ's coming to take vengeance on the Jewish nation, as it is often called the coming of the son of man, is described in this manner, Mat_24:27.

John Lightfoot

Mat 24:30 -
    And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
    [And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man.]

Then shall the Son of man give a proof of himself, whom they would not before acknowledge: as proof, indeed, not in any visible figure, but in vengeance and judgment so visible, that all the tribes of the earth shall be forced to acknowledge him the avenger. The Jews would not know him: now they shall now him, whether they will or no, Isa_26:11. Many times they asked of him a sign; now a sign shall appear, that he is the true Messias, whom they despised, derided, and crucified, namely, his signal vengeance and fury, such as never any nation felt from the first foundations of the world.

5. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The large print is easier to read, but you don't have to yell, do you?

6. JohnBaskette

JohnBaskette New Member

Yes, I had 2 yell (Being bold)

I think I know why ya'll are not understanding. Grasshopper is a Preterist.
    That is why I put, JESUS HAS'N'T RETURNED" in bold. I'm not sure why SBCpreacher has a problem.

One thing the reader should know is that I was not writing in the Third person! I meant JOHN THE REVELATOR on Patmos.

REPLY QUALIFIER: If you are a heritic or belong to a cult no need to reply!

7. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

At that sake of not knowing whether you are aware of this or not, but ALL CAPS is considered by some to be rude. Certainly the very large bolded text would be considered to be even more rude that just all caps :). Internet ettiquette I guess :).

But you are right Grasshopper is a preterist or at least a partial-preterist :).

8. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry. It was somewhat an attempt at humor.

All caps usually comes across as yelling, and then when you add the very large bold print, it just amplifies. I was not intending to offend anyone.

9. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

What does “shortly come to pass” really mean?

10. JohnBaskette

JohnBaskette New Member

Ok, Preterist...

OK, Since I began this thread answerering what it means I'll get to that secondly.
    I hesitate to say "Amen" but, I will to the scripture that you quoted.
    Answer me this; have any of those things happened yet?
    Plainly, NO!
    Secondly, Obviously, "...Shortly come to pass" is not a short time by human standards b/c contrary to what preterists believe,
    Jesus HAS NOT RETURNED & SET UP HIS KINGDOM yet!
    * Instead of finding my original post thru the threads I'll paste it here: (It's about SILENCING SCOFFERS)
    <begin post>
    I have read verses similar to “for the time is at hand.”, like verses often occur throughout the Scripture. THIS IS OUR AMMUNITION AND NOT SCOFFER’S AMUNITION! Here’s why:
    In RE 1:3; Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.”

Here is what I gleaned this morning, notice the phrase; “for the time is at hand.” It is an example of the Word applying to THIS & ALL TIMES.

INSTEAD OF GIVING THE SCOFFERS AMMUNITION; they say, “All things continue…” It should be our ammunition! B/C EVIDENTLY GOD, SPEAKING THROUGH JOHN DID NOT MEAN IN JOHN’S TIME!

On the contrary, ‘…for the time is at hand.” Is for this age or later…

John could have scoffed but it was obvious that Christ hadn’t returned. By “comparing Scripture with Scripture”, “rightly dividing”, or simply taking a verse in context he would have known this & have been encouraged!

LIKEWISE, WE SHOULD TAKE THINGS IN CONTEXT, WHILE KNOWING THAT MANY PEOPLE IN DIFERENT TIMES HAVE READ, “for the time is at hand.” MANY MORE PERSONS IF GOD WILL.
    <End post>
    This post should encourage Soul Winners and Silence Scoffers.

11. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ok, I have read this through several times, and I honestly have no idea what your point is?

12. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Yes.

So God chose to communicate with man in words we wouldn’t really understand, we would just think we would? :BangHead:

Mar 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Then I guess the time really wasn’t fulfilled. That makes Mark and Daniel wrong along with John. Let’s throw Peter under the bus as well:

1Pe 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

And James:

Jam 5:8 Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.

Let’s not forget Paul:

1Co 10:11 Now these things happened unto them by way of example; and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come.

I think his point is that despite what scripture seems to say, it doesn’t really mean that.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I believe we are in the end times and have been since Christ walked the earth, they have not been completely fulfilled.

One portion of Scripture (among many) in support of that belief is Matthew 13 and in particular the parable of the wheat and the tares which Christ explained.

Matthew 13
    27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
    28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
    29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
    30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;
    38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;
    39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.
    40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.
    41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
    42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
    43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

HankD

14. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Literal translation:

Mat 13:39 and the enemy who sowed them is the devil, and the harvest is a full end of the age, and the reapers are messengers.
    Mat 13:40 `As, then, the darnel is gathered up, and is burned with fire, so shall it be in the full end of this age,

What age? It seems it would be the same age found in Matt 24:

Mat 24:3 And when he is sitting on the mount of the Olives, the disciples came near to him by himself, saying, `Tell us, when shall these be? and what is the sign of thy presence, and of the full end of the age?'

It would also seem to be the age Paul referred to:

1Co 10:11 And all these things as types did happen to those persons, and they were written for our admonition, to whom the end of the ages did come,

It was the Mosaic Age.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Admitedly a definite possibility but IMO it can't be conclusively proven.

HankD

16. JohnBaskette

JohnBaskette New Member

Dear SBCPreacher,
    Please forgive me for not seeing the humor. It's not Ur fault, it's just that it happens to often when peaople don't agree W/me ie; stop yelling! Thank you for replying and NOT bieng a heretic!
    In Christ, your bro, John. Have a great Lord's day-Sun5-27th

17. JohnBaskette

JohnBaskette New Member

How dare you or anyone say, God doesn't really mean it!
    Rightly divide, study to show youself approved!

18. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Good, glad we now agree. When God said something was near or at hand, He really meant it.

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For an Eternal Being outside of the time continuum, everything is "at hand"

HankD

20. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Then for the readers of Revelation who live inside the time continuum the term is meaningless. Thus you must conclude God was not trying to relay anything important to John by continually telling Him the events were at hand or near or would shortly come to pass.