1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Time is Near - He who is Righteous will be Righteous still

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Bob I snipped the scripture because the post had too many characters.

Your view is no better than mine, your view says a born again person cannot sin at all, and we know that is not true.

As for Paul in Romans 7, he cannot be speaking from the perspective of a saved person for several reasons.

#1 He says he is sold under sin in vs. 14. The Christian has been made free from sin.

#2 He said he serves sin in vs. 25. A born again Christian no longer serves sin, but righteousness.

Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
    18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Paul said he is captive to the "law of sin" in vs. 23. He says the law of the Spirit has made him free from the law of sin in Rom 8:2.

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Paul NEVER mentions the Holy Spirit in chapter 7, not once. But now in chapter 8 he speaks of the Spirit and how it has made him free from the law of sin he was held captive to in Romans 7:23.

So Paul was speaking from the perspective of an unsaved, unregenerated man in chapter 7. Of course this destroys the doctrine of Total Inability, because repeatedly he says he desires to do what is right in chapter 7.

Back to our discussion, 1 John 3:9 cannot simply be speaking of sinning, because all Christians sin. It must be speaking of living in continuous sin, which most commentators agree is what is being said here.

Here is what Albert Barnes wrote.

I tend to agree with this view. I believe a true Christian that is born of God can never fall away in unbelief. Oh, they might have a period, or even a short season of doubt, but I believe they will always recover their faith. It is certainly shown throughout scripture that true Christians had moments of doubt as when John the Baptist was in prison.

#21 Winman, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I am neither an Arminain nor a cal. So your point is moot.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Again, define the line, both going into an unsaved state and returning to a saved state, not some vague concept backed up by an out of context verse.

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My point is not that you have to be one thing or the other. My point is that Arminians don't have a theological basis for arguing in favor of the tradition of OSAS because we believe in free will both before one is saved and afterwards.

Which means we are left taking the Matt 18 warning about "forgiveness" revoked, and the Gal 5:4 problem of "Severed from Christ" and "Fallen from grace" to be a serious subject for consideration.

As well as the John 15:1-7 teaching about 'branches IN ME" that are removed - dried up - dead and tossed into the fire as worthless.

And this thread specifically deals with the Rev 22:10-11 subject where at a future point in time - the saints do not lose salvation any more and the lost do not accept the Gospel any more.

in Christ,

Bob

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh no I do not have to be either. That is a strawman.

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Romans 11 is the very thing you seem to be wanting to avoid.

11 I say then, they did not stumble so as to fall, did they? May it never be! But by their transgression salvation has come to the Gentiles, to make them jealous. 12 Now if their transgression is riches for the world and their failure is riches for the Gentiles, how much more will their fulfillment be! 13 But I am speaking to you who are Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle of Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, 14 if somehow I might move to jealousy my fellow countrymen and save some of them. 15 For if their rejection is the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead? 16 If the first piece of dough is holy, the lump is also; and if the root is holy, the branches are too.
    17 But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive, were grafted in among them and became partaker with them of the rich root of the olive tree, 18 do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you. 19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” 20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either. 22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I said -- My point is not that you have to be one thing or the other.

Are you posting to me or someone else???

If it is to me - I find your logic illusive just then.

in Christ,

Bob

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

My view is not that a born again Christian cannot sin.

My view is -

1. 1John 2 and details in 1 John 3 point to specific sin explicitly. Even naming sin in some cases.
    2. you cannot swap out "sin" or "sin not" with " do not fall away from being saved in unbelief " in 1John 2 or 1John 3. 1 John 2 proves it cannot work.
    3. John explicitly addresses "and if anyone does sin" so we know that it is possible as claimed by John - to sin after being a Christian.
    4. The new nature is not the same as the sinful nature - and a Christian has both.
    5. Paul addresses this warfare between the two natures in Romans 7 where "He serves the Law of God with my mind". In Romans 3 Paul explicitly states that in the sinful nature - we do not at all serve the law of God.
    In fact in Romans 8 Paul insists that those who have only the sinful nature do not subject themselves to the Law of God - "neither indeed can they".
    6. Rev 22:10-11 does speak to saints "holy being holy still" as you point out - not losing their salvation. But it says this is a future event "The time is near" - a new thing that is coming at which time the lost do not change - do not become converted. And also the saved will no longer change to become lost - but in the future time - will remain holy.

more on Romans 7 ...

in Christ,

Bob

#28 BobRyan, Nov 7, 2013
  9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Romans 7

5. Paul addresses this warfare between the two natures in Romans 7 where "He serves the Law of God with my mind". In Romans 3 Paul explicitly states that in the sinful nature - we do not at all serve the law of God.
    In fact in Romans 8 Paul insists that those who have only the sinful nature do not subject themselves to the Law of God - "neither indeed can they".

The problem in Romans 7 is only a problem for a saved person who "with my mind - serve the Law of God".

The problem in Romans 7 is only a problem for someone who fully affirms the Law of God "as holy just and good".

Paul says " I was once alive apart from the Law; but when the commandment came, sin became alive and I died;".

Apart from the law - from the ilght of what it really means - He thought He was "blameless" -- as "for the righteousness that comes from the law - found blameless" Phil 3.

This was how he viewed himself in his lost state. But then he was converted, he saw the real light of the Law of God and he realized that he needed salvation. He is converted and then "with my mind I serve the law of God". In Romans 8 Paul says the lost person does not choose to be subject to Law of God also "can not" conform/obey even if they wanted to.

The slavery in Romans 7 is only that which can take place in the life of the saint - apart from applying the remedy of the Holy Spirit in Romans 8.

Yes indeed. All agree that Romans 8 is pointing to the solution for the problem in Romans 7.

The debate/question is whether Romans 7 problem is one that the lost person has who considers himself "blameless" as Paul says of his lost state in Gal 3, or of the newborn saint who finally has the new nature , the will and desire to serve God but realizes He needs supernatural power to do it -because "in me dwelleth no good thing". That is in our human sinful nature.

in Christ,

Bob

#29 BobRyan, Nov 7, 2013
  10. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

The only thing that is not wanted to be avoided around here
    are the false "doctrines of men" from many centuries ago.

Satan and man have combined with their free wills to be King over all.
    I.E. The LORD God will not override anyone's free will choices.

Because of all of this, many have gone, continue to go, and will go into the great dumpster below.

However, the precious Holy Spirit will work in the BAC in trying to get him to believe the truth.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

I disagree with your interpretation of Romans 7. I do not believe Paul is saying he "mistakenly believed" he was alive without the law once. When was he without the law?, the law was 1500 years before he was born.

No, I believe Paul is speaking of himself as a child before he knew the law, because he explains that he had not known sin without the law. He gives the example that he would not have known "lust" except the law had said "thou shalt not covet".

Now, Paul did believe the law would bring life, if you keep the law you would inherit eternal life. But sin, taking advantage of the law convicted him as a sinner and he spiritually died.

This is the perspective Paul is speaking from, as an unregenerate sinner. He wants to keep the law, he knows it is good, but he has been convicted by it and it has worked death in him.

If Paul wanted to teach he "mistakenly believed" he was alive, he could have easily said that.

No, Paul declared plainly that he was alive without the law once, but when the commandment came, sin revived and he died.

You must be spiritually alive to die, this chapter absolutely refutes Original Sin, just as Jesus taught when the prodigal son repented, that he was alive AGAIN.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not everyone will agree with me on the two-natures at war in Romans 7 for the born-again saint who "with my mind - I serve the Law of God" -- where the solution is found in Romans 8.

But in Rev 22:10-11 we have agreement that the "holy will be holy still" is a kind of OSAS - and yet according to the text itself it is future. It is a future change according to the text, just as the text says about the future change where the lost no longer convert to become saved saints.

========================

Rev 22 NASB
    10 And he *said to me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near.

11 Let the one who does wrong, still do wrong; and the one who is filthy, still be filthy; and let the one who is righteous, still practice righteousness; and the one who is holy, still keep himself holy.”

Rev 22 KJV
    11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

Notice that this speaks of a future time when the wicked will no longer be converted to the Gospel and when the righteous will no longer be subject to backsliding into wickedness and rebellion against God and the loss of salvation.

-------------------------

Until that point in time though we DO have the changes - the wicked turn to righteousness and the saints fall from grace, severed from Grace, forgiveness revoked - lose salvation.

in Christ,

Bob

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Paul said in Phil 3 that "as a Pharisee" (which is not the state of an infant by any measure) "As to the righteousness that comes through the law - found blameless".

4 although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: 5 circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; 6 as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.

And in Romans 7 "I was once alive apart from the law".

In neither case does he say "mistakenly believed to be"

For apart from the law sin was dead. 9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. 12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it isno longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
    So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

the new nature "the inner man" is in harmony with the Law of God according to Paul in Romans 7. This is the 2Cor 5 state of the "new creation".
    22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.

"It is NO LONGER I who do it" shows that in his former state it WAS Paul choosing sin - but then a change came and now it is "NO LONGER I". -- the new creation rejects sin.

"What I WILL to do that I do NOT" here is free will being exercised CHOOSING to obey God - choosing the path of the saint - the new creation.

in Christ,

Bob

#34 BobRyan, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  15. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It would be most beneficial then for a new believer in Christ to die quickly, even pray for a quick death, so they will not have too many days to live and have their gift of eternal life snuffed out of them by the One who freely gave it by grace through faith.

It would be wise to apply a bit of God given logic to a position before fully embracing it as a matter of fact.

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

I remember Curtis Hutson saying if this were true, he would just continue to hold folks under when they got baptized and get them into heaven quick! :laugh:

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

You are supporting my argument, Paul was not unable to express what he really meant to say. As a Pharisee, he was blameless.

Folks think that all the Pharisees were horrible hypocrites, that is not true, many were sincerely devout and lived about as holy a life as a person could possibly do.

Look what scriptures say about John the Baptist's parents;

Luk 1:5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth.
    6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

Zacharias and his wife were GOOD people. They obeyed God about as perfectly as a man could do. Were they sinless? Of course not. And Zacharias knew he wasn't sinless and gave the offerings for his sins, and this is why he was judged "righteous" by God.

Paul was also a very good man as a Pharisee, and that is what he is saying here.

But in Romans 7 Paul is speaking of when he came to know the law:

Rom 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Paul tells us here he would not even have known what lust is, unless the law had told him not to covet. So when Paul speaks of the "commandment coming" in verse 9, he is speaking of that time when he learned the law and learned what sin is. This traditionally is when a Jewish boy is around 13 years old and learns the law. The Bar Mitzvah means "son of commandments" and is when the Jews believed a young man became accountable before God.

So, Paul is not confused here, and he is not telling us he mistakenly believed he was spirutally alive, he is actually telling us he was spiritually alive until he learned the commandments. When he learned the law he became accountable and was convicted by the law as a sinner and spiritually died.

And Paul didn't say he "thought" he died, he said he actually died, and that sin slew him. You have to be alive to die, and you have to be alive for someone to slay you.

Original Sin is false doctrine.

18. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeah, quick before they have their eternal life revoked! :tongue3:

If it were true, the gospel should be preached that once you receive Christ as Lord a Saviour, now pray you die quickly!!

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is no such doctrine as "forgiveness revoked." It is a false doctrine. Perhaps Bob himself made it up, I don't know.
    But this I do know.
    The theological basis for it comes from a parable.
    First, parables don't teach doctrine; they illustrate doctrine already taught.
    Second, parables never, never, introduce new doctrine. Bob has introduced this new doctrine via a parable which violates all principles of hermeneutics.
    Third, and repetition is good for the soul, parables are for illustration of doctrine--just as Jesus used them. He would teach, and then give a parable to support the doctrine. Often he had to interpret the parable to his disciples. But it wasn't new doctrine.
    OTOH, Bob is trying to introduce new doctrine via a parable which makes his man-made "forgiveness revoked" null and void.

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think that is a view a lot of people have until they "notice the details" in Matt 18 as taught by Christ.

Matt 18
    32 Then summoning him, his lord *said to him, ‘You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. 33 Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, in the same way that I had mercy on you?
    34 And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him.

Those who are alert to the principle of "forgiveness revoked' will instantly see that very thing happening here.

Those who embrace tradition against the Bible in vs 32-34 are not going to accept the words of Christ in vs 35 applied outside of the Parable.

35 My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart.”

Those who accept the teaching of Christ in the Gospels will instantly notice that he is applying that same rule to the saved saints who also have been fully forgiven - and are therefore under obligation to "forgive others AS they have been fully forgiven.

in Christ,

Bob

#40 BobRyan, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013