1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Translators intent??

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Pastor_Bob, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It had an article on the cover entitled, The Woman at the Well - What You Didn't Know! I believe it also had a picture of several young ladies hanging out in front of the local sandal shop.

Thank you. That is exactly my point!

2. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate this well thought-out answer.

3. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problem here, friend. This is a debate forum. One cannot be thin-skinned and survive in here. Thank you for being gracious.

4. standingfirminChrist

I echo Pastor Bob's words, rbell.

Many times in the heat of the battle we allow flesh to rule and we attack the messenger instead of the message. We should at this point stop and reflect on the writings from the pen of Paul when he wrote to the Galatians...

Walk in the Spirit and ye shall not fullfill the lusts of the flesh.

May we all in our endeavor to serve God serve Him in humbleness.

God bless.

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Sorry if you feel I was leveling this at you. Your question in the OP was valid I think. I agree with you regarding a Christian teen. As I said, I feel that the use of marketing to encourage young people to read the Scriptures is not healthy. If they are saved they will desire the Word of God.

I echo your thoughts, its the package that is the problem. I think trying to market the Gospel like this cheapens it just like all the Christian paraphernalia we see sold today like tee shirts etc.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

PastorBob, I see your point, but it's one that I'll have to disagree with.

As I said above, I found nothing outrageous about the covers you presented.

It is true that in years gone by we didn't have to do this, and whether it's necessary to do so or not, is debatable.

Our teens are more visual than ever.

#66 TCGreek, Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Sorry, trying to lighten the mood - guess I should have included a ;) .

8. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well put. I could not have said it better. You have succinctly stated the point I feel I was making all along.

9. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

How can you cheapen something that is free? God's word is for everyone. If it's wrong to print, package and sell the scriptures then it is just as wrong for the printers of the KJV as it is these.

Flashy does not necessarily mean gaudy and both are matters of opinion. That seems to be the case here. If it wasn't as attractive and targeted toward a particular group, then it might be okay. Where do we get the idea that an attractive cover and commentary relevant to a teen is somehow sinful?

Do we not serve a God whose creation is attractive? You want go tell Him that He shouldn't have created the Rocky Mountains because they are too flashy and too worldly. By His own words the majesty of creation is enough to point Him out to everyone in the world. Kind of a flashy way to attract us don't ya think?

Even better, you think streets of gold and crystal seas aren't going to be flashy?

What then is the problem with packaging God's word in an attractive binding? He packaged His whole creation attractivly.

You say it's worldly. Is it really worldly to want attractive things around us? Is having an ugly Bible going to lead us further down the road to pleasing God? Only if it gets opened and read. Is having an attractive Bible really going to lead us down the road to destruction? Only if one never cracks open the cover.

I can see nothing wrong with a Bible whose cover is attractive so long as it (the cover) points out the way to what's inside. Matter of fact, I'm beginning to wonder if my solid cover leather Bible is attractive enough. I rarely have anyone ask me what I'm carrying with that one. Perhaps something flashier would trigger some conversations with folk who ordinarily would not care one bit to speak to someone carrying a Bible.

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

It has nothing to do with being attractive. I have several Bibles with two; a Reina Valera 1960 and an ESV being in a nice two tone Italian leather. The problem is the philosophy behind all of this.

The creators of the biblezines went out and asked teens what they were reading. There answer was of course magazines. So they said lets make a Bible in the format of a magazine to get more kids to read it. But my opinion is that we do not take our cue by what kids want. Its that philosophy that is destructive.

You don´t need an attractive Bible to spark conversations, you need to simply pray for God open up those conversations and declare the Gospel whenever God gives you opportunity. You can´t make the Gospel attractive to spiritually dead people who think that the cross is foolishness. You simply tell them what God said and let Him draw them to himself.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

the "world" is defined as SIN...not the things OF the world. Remember...be IN THE WORLD but not OF IT (sin).

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since you are a moderator, you do know your images are bigger than allowed by BB standards, right? :)

How is this any different than not using scrolls...the original method of reading the Scripture?

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...they are marketed as Bibles because THEY ARE Bibles :BangHead:

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I hope you still read from a scroll, Pastor Bob...you know THE Word of God format! :rolleyes:

Is this national legalistic posting month?

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I did too, and I reported him for it. I have no idea how he can continue posting on the BB with as many times he has called out the salvation of others. It's pathetic.

#75 webdog, Mar 15, 2008
  16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...yet we see Christ and the apostles doing just that in Scripture.

17. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CBD offers sample pages for of each of the BibleZines [LINK]
    Why don’t you sample a few.
    Check out the other bibles bundled with material to make them more appealing . :godisgood:

Archeological Study Bible

Blackaby Study Bible

Concordia Study Bible

Defenders Study Bible

Everyday Life Bible

Family Keepsake Bible

God’s Word Bible

Hebrew/Greek Key Bible

In Touch Ministries Bible

Jewish Study Bible

Legacy Study Bible

MacArthur Study Bible

Nave’s Topical Bible

Orthodox study Bible

Pew Bible

Quest Study Bible

Reformation Study Bible

Student Bible

Thompson Chain Bible

Vintage Bibles

Wide Margin Bibles

Zondervan Study Bible

Extra Credit for anyone who can find a "K" a "U" "X" or a "Y" Bible.

This might make a good thread in the Games Forum. :laugh:

Rob

18. standingfirminChrist

They are not Bibles.

1. They only contain what that call New Testament verses... not the entire Bible.

2. The Bible does not have such junk added to it as the articles found in Revolve and Refuel.

If you think it is the Bible, you may need to go back and study what the Bible is.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Refuel: The Complete New Testament

How exactly is this different than the little KJV New Testaments with the Psalms?

Maybe you need to go back and study what the Bible is!

20. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Every one of those Bibles are Study Bibles. They are marketed as Study Bibles. Some people don't care for Study Bibles. A Wide Margin Bible is a format. Study Bibles are very different than Bible-zines. Study Bibles have study notes--what they don't have are things like: beauty secrets, quizzes, and things which would appeal to the flesh. You are comparing apples to oranges. A Bible-zine is NOT a Study Bible.

#80 Linda64, Mar 15, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.