1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The transliteration of baptizo

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Why did all the translaters of all the versions of the Bible never tramslate the word "baptizo" to "immerse" which is the meaning of the word?

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I would think it is because the real meaning of the word is "Baptism". Not until after the first century did Baptism take on new meanings by baby sprinklers, adult sprinklers and pouring.

The real meaning of Baptism IS immersion. It has just been corrupted. Baptism means more than immerse. It means a public showing that the person agrees with the doctrine being taught by the group that does the Baptising.

Baptism was not new in Christianity. It was used by many Jewish groups and people baptised by John the Baptist were simply giving a public showing that they accepted his doctrine. This is why many (or most) Baptists relate baptism to local church membership, because it shows the person accepts the doctrines taught by that local body of believers. If you cannot show that you accept the doctrine, then it hard to become a member. ...and of course, the person must have salvation before Baptism (which is, by default, part of the belief).

Therefore, if Baptism should be changed to indicate immersion by water, (at least where it is referring to water), then it probably should say "Baptism by immersion", so that the full meaning is expressed. Just dunking would not accurately describe what is going on. Yes, with historical changes in the meaning of Baptism, it might be a good idea to clarify. But, where do you end accurate translation and begin providing opinion. Even though it is true.

Would this be a good example of literal translation verses dynamic translation?

Just my thoughts on the matter.......

Others?

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe people are now stressing immersion,both to follow the Biblical method of baptizing,and to get away from the alterations practiced by the wide world of pseudo-christianity.

BTW, how many of you have tried to show a christianette the REAL way to Christ? I've been more successful with agnostics, Moslems, and the common complacent American than I have w/JWs, LDSs, SDAs, etc.

4. mioque

mioque New Member

It truly is a problem of the English tongue we are talking about here. In both Dutch and German the same word is used both for the 'sacrament' of baptism and immersing for example a piece of bread in gravy. Dopen/taufen = to dip, to baptise, to immerse.