1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Tree and Garden

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by npetreley, Nov 11, 2007.

1. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

The long version of "no I didn't really have anything to add." :rolleyes:

2. reformedbeliever

Well Bob, I think you already know this... but I'll say it anyway. :)
    2 Peter 3:9 was writen to the elect. None of the elect will perish....... He is not willing that one would.
    I like your new picture a lot better than the previous one....... although it was a great looking picture too! :thumbs:

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

It was just so that you would post another post just like this one.

Really WB if it is such a big deal...move to another thread. I saw it as starting a thread. You do not. Get over it...and go on. Its really very simple

4. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

And the short version of "No, I am not interested in applying my own standards to myself and I plan on misrepresenting the stated thoughts and beliefs of others".
    Save the drama and let's stay on topic.

5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

good post.. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

now you are getting it. :)

#65 Jarthur001, Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2007
  6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, that makes God the author of sin??

BBob,

7. russell55

russell55 New Member

Exactly. And you know what? I think most nonCalvinists would agree that God could have prevented Adam's sin, but he didn't, and that he had a reason (or purpose) for not preventing it. And most Calvinist would agree that sin enters creation by way of God's permission. Which means there isn't much difference between the two systems in the purposefulness of God's allowing sin, or in the means by which sin comes into creation.

The real difference in the two systems is the reason God doesn't prevent sin. The nonCalvinist usually says that God didn't prevent sin because he wanted humankind to have free choice. The Calvinist says he didn't prevent sin because wanted to redeem humankind.

8. reformedbeliever

Alex....... is that really your last name?

Why don't you show me where I misrepresented anyone? If you will quote me please?

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thank you. :)

10. Alex Quackenbush

So having had a collapse in your argument you are left with idle chit-chat? Is this what you have been reduced to? Seriously? Does the prick of your theological opponent's sword so easily wound that you scramble for ad hominem pursuits so immediately?

Again let's go back to the topic. Steady yourself man and stay focused.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, why did he admonish them as below, if they would all be saved????
    I know what you will say, it does not mean their Salvation, but I think it does. We all going to die anyway, regardless of what we do.
    Thanks for the compliment on the pic! :wavey:

BBob,

#71 Brother Bob, Nov 12, 2007
  12. reformedbeliever

Oh, I'm steady and focused. My question about your last name was not an ad hominem pursuit. If it is a sore subject, I'll not ask you again. Sorry.
    I'm steady and focused. I'm still waiting upon the proof of your accusation. Don't accuse someone without having the ability to back it up. C'mon man, stay focused. Steady now. Lets get back to the topic as soon as you substantiate your accusations. Thank you.

13. Alex Quackenbush

russell, feel free to show me where someone stated EMPHATICALLY, DIRECTLY of IMPLICITLY that "THE REASON" God didn't prevent sin is that He wanted humankind to have free choice.

First of all, humanity, before Adam sinned already have volitional capacity so God didn't need to allow sin to establish that reality. It already existed.

Secondly, and again, I have yet to read anyone stated the REASON God allowed sin was so mankind could have free choice.

I have read that because man already had freedom to choose God incorporated that choice to sin as part of the plan to provide redemption for mankind.

But what you have said is an extreme departure and very shadowy (at best) representation of the position of the non-Calvinist I have read here so far. I suggest you go back and review their statements on this topic and reconsider your characterization of their position. Your statement simply does not reflect what they have said.

14. russell55

russell55 New Member

It depends on what you mean by author of sin.

If, by author of sin, you mean that God is the agent or the doer of the evil deed, then no, God is not the author of sin.

If, by author of sin, you mean that God decided to permit sin, knowing that by his permission it would certainly come about, and that he had a reason for deciding to allow it rather than prevent it, then, then yes, God is the author of sin.

15. Alex Quackenbush

I used the word "apparently" the qualifiers removes my statement as an emphatic one. Are we at the point you are having to be lead to a dictionary to understand the use of the word apparently? When one uses the word apparently it means "to seem". It isn't a statement of certainty. Accusations are statements of certainty.
    Now, back to the topic.

16. Alex Quackenbush

russell,

The reminds me of the man who asked: Does this car belong to your wife?

And the man answer: If by "your wife" you mean the woman I am married to, no.

But if you mean by "your wife" the woman I have been seeing when the woman I am married to is gone", yes.

"Author of sin" only has one meaning. God is not the author of sin. At best this is a manipulation of words and a destruction of their genuine meaning and use in order for one to be able construct an intellectual facade in the attempt to produce a sentence to satisfy the wish to say something that is not true as if it were.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Ok, now maybe you can answer my question.
    1. You say that God allows sin, and I am sure you still believe He is Sovereign.

2. Why can God not allow "repentance" and still be sovereign???

BBob,

#77 Brother Bob, Nov 12, 2007
  18. reformedbeliever

You are welcome brother. I'm glad to see you looking good. It wasn't that long ago I was praying for your life. Thanks be to God that we don't have to worry about this life huh? I hope you are feeling as good as you look.

To me Bob, this is simply God's way of saying to be at peace with ourselves and God's promises. To stay to the task at hand, knowing that God will accomplish all that He promises. Of couse I believe in eternal security. :)

19. reformedbeliever

Ok, then prove why it is apparent to you that I misrepresent someone or anyone. A quote would be helpful. Again, don't make apparent accusations without having the ability to back them up.

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I know you do, but sure a lot of admonishing for the children that are the "elect".

My health is pretty good now, have blockage in front of heart but they can't put a stint in it. But man, I thank God everyday for what I do have health wise and salvation.

BBob,