1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Tree and Garden

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by npetreley, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Seems God had a reason. You seem to be saying because God punished Israel for sinning, He caused it.

Therefore, thou son of man, prophesy against Gog, and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against thee, O Gog,

So will I make my holy name known in the midst of my people Israel; and I will not let them pollute my holy name any more: and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, the Holy One in Israel.

BBob,

#101 Brother Bob, Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2007
  2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If this were the case, is where I don't agree.

God may punish for sins, but sin includes adultery, killing, etc and God does not will these things. You can't pick out a little sin, if there is such a thing and leave off the big sins.

BBob,

3. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

Best synopsis I've seen yet. It seems to me there are a whole lot of people who just feel a need to argue about something:BangHead:

4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Bob,

I agree there is good reason..and the reason can be found in the passage.

What I'm asking is this....

Many look at this verse...
    And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

and say we should always be friends with Gods people.

In fact we have seen when a nation goes and attacks the Jewish people, they are judged.

I'm asking will Gog be judged for the action of coming down on the land as seen in that verse?

#104 Jarthur001, Nov 12, 2007
  5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I do not know James, just to be truthful, for I don't know what Gog had done either. But Judas was a devil from the beginning and was allowed to betray the Lord. God used Judas for sure, for what he already was.
    Did He use Gog for a purpose, because of what he already was or had done, I don't know.

I can agree with God allowing something to happen, for sure He has. But for God to author sin, is too far for me. I understand the struggle you are having among yourselves, for you are discussing something that there are many unknowns. So, I don't want to disrupt your discussion. I just wanted to say my little part and let you fellows continue on with your discussion.

BBob,

#105 Brother Bob, Nov 12, 2007
  6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I would like to hear more about your angel theory. This may be why we are on different planets theologically.

#106 Amy.G, Nov 12, 2007
  7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

The reason for that longer post was to show my view of sin. Sin is a path away from God.

If a action is in Gods will, it matters not how we view it. We may see it as sin, but if God decrees it....it is Gods will for it to take place and in no way is it sin.

and yes...all paths away from God are sin.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I think the question is really, does God have the right to judge Gog for doing something God Himself manipulated Gog to do? Scripture says, "Yes".

Here is God manipulating Gog...

Here is God judging Gog for doing what God manipulated him to do...

If anyone wants to argue against scripture, be my guest.

9. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

I'm just now reading back through this thread to catch up. Can you clarify for me?--I thought the Calvinist says that God didn't prevent sin because He wanted to redeem the ELECT.
    Thanks.

10. russell55

russell55 New Member

Really? Then you should be able to give me the definition of it, right? What would God's relationship to sin have to be in order to make him the author of it?

11. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

No, that is exactly NOT what I said. I said, "God is completely sovereign." And then I elaborated and said, "He can also instead choose to force me to love Him, believe in Him and His precious son, and worship Him." and then continued with, "But I believe, instead, that He CHOOSES to allow ME a choice in the matter....and that He also knows exactly what my decisions will be....and then He CHOOSES to work those choices into His sovereign plan to serve HIS purposes.

And I reiterate that I do not think that LIMITS God in any way....and actually acknowledges his sovereignty and omniscience and omnipotence to a degree that my finite mind cannot fully comprehend.

I'm not much of a debater, because I don't like discord and argument (yes, I realize this is a debate thread! :thumbs: ). I enjoy--and attempt to employ--what I learn on this BB though, and the point to my post was to ask if it is possible for holders to calvinistic theology to agree with the premise that non-calvinists can believe in God's complete sovereignty and still believe that he chooses to give us a choice in the matter.......? And that when asked "how does He do that?", it's okay for US to also say, "I don't know; I'm comfortable with it though."???

But I guess your post here answers that question--because you do not believe that I mean it when I say that God is completely sovereign :tear: . I really would like to understand this calvinistic theology, and the more I am learning from the posters here, the more I want to understand. I personally think that I do not differ from calvinism in the teaching of God's sovereignty--I think the split occurs over how God chooses to apply/use/enforce His sovereignty. Thank you for your response.

12. russell55

russell55 New Member

Yes. Because Adam was subject to vanity (to use your words), God's permission of Adam's sin meant that Adam would certainly sin. The only thing that would stop Adam from sinning would be God preventing it, and God chose not to prevent it.

I don't think God ever prevents repentance, so I'm not sure what you are asking here.

13. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

npet, if I compliment you first :wavey: , will you please not hit me with your scathing humor quite so hard? :tonofbricks: I enjoy reading your posts (especially the scathingly humorous ones :laugh: ), and have found yours and Amy G's posts on this subject the easiest for me to follow and learn from.

So, that was the compliment, here's the comment/question: I believe that God has the "right" to do whatever He wants--and I think that is exactly what scripture teaches. So we agree on that. And the more I wrestle with these concepts, the more it's fully crystallizing what the calvinistic position is...and I'm apparently in complete accord with this aspect of calvinism. In the sense that God created everything, including imperfect man, He also created all the circumstances that made Gog the bad guy AND allowed God to judge him for BEING the bad guy. I "get" that. He created Adam, put that tree in the garden, told him not to eat from it, KNEW he WOULD eat from it, etc....so, in the sense that God created that entire scenario, YES, God, in His magnificent sovereignty also created the "whatever" (I'm not being flippant--I don't KNOW what term to use) that allowed sin. In that sense He IS the "author" of sin. Again, I "get" it (or at least I THINK I do!).

I guess my question is this, how does my belief that God actually gave Adam a real choice--through a mechanism of His omnipotence that I cannot comprehend fully (and thus cannot explain fully)--how does that restrict God from a calvinistic viewpoint to the degree that a calvinist thinks the non-calvinist has denied God's sovereignty?

14. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Wow. That's a wonderfully helpful post. Thanks! :thumbs:

15. Allan

Allan Active Member

Ok.
    They most certainly did have the option of freely choosing differently. However, God already knew what they 'would' choose when that choice was given by God to them. IOW - there isn't any choice given to man by God in which God does not already know the outcome of that choice made via the volition of man.

Man chooses himself how to respond to the choices God has set before him but that does not detract from the fact that God already knows how man will 'willingly' respond.

You bet! Since you bring it up, what happened to Joseph is one of the great places to see man resposibility and Gods sovereignty working in divine unison as the Scripture states:
    emphasis mine

God knew what His brothers 'would willingly do' to their brother if they were given that choice and God in the fulness of His knowledge used their choice THEY intended for evil as the means to bring about the Good that GOD intended to bring through and by Joseph.

Even you know that was uncalled for, huh?
    In any case, it is quite evident you either still do not understand the Non-Cal view, or you are willfully misrepresenting our view for a cheap remark. Please brother, show me ANYWHERE in this thread or the one closed (from which this one orginated) where ANYONE made ANY similar statement regarding your above comment.

So you hold that God is intimately involved in the actions of sin and righteousness in His creation? No need to answer cause I know you don't. I was just doing what you did in your above comment :smilewinkgrin:

No non-cal disagrees here. However, as has been shown on here by various other non-cals it has been illistrated how He does just that in our view regarding His soveriegnty and man responsibility (volition).
    :thumbs:

So from what I see in bringing this (my first posting) to its final conclusion is that it was not God's desire FOR sin specifically to be, but that He KNEW sin would be if a choice was permitted, and that permitting that choice is part of His purpose and plan for His good pleasure.

What are arguing against is the veiw where it was the intention of God to make His creation sin .

#115 Allan, Nov 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2007
  16. Allan

Allan Active Member

Of course you make a huge mistake here by assuming God is just arbitarily judging them for something He is bringing them to do of their own choice. They are/will be ALREADY in sin and rebellion before God uses them to bring judgment to Israel. Therefore God's judgment is certainly coming to them just God will use them as judgment against Israel. God will still bringing to pass their judgment but in His timing (purpose) that fulfills His plan in accordance with His good pleasure. God can choose when and where He will judge a thing (person or nation) and the manner in which He will bring that Judgment to pass, and at whatever time He so chooses (be it now or 50 years later)
    No one is arguing against scripture just your unscriptural approach the passages you proof text with. :wavey:

#116 Allan, Nov 13, 2007
  17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

arugue? How could they? I say case closed.

:)

18. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

please show me where and when any one has said this was arbitarily judging?

wait...let me change that.

Please show me where and when any one but YOU has said this was arbitarily judging?

This is what was asked by me. Will God judge Gog for coming down on the land?

This was answered by npetreley with verses from the Bible of all things.

The answer is YES.

And npetreley went on to fill in the point.

God caused Gog to come down on the land. God pulled them down.

no one but no one said this was arbitarily judging other then YOU.

again, please show me....if not.....you know what to do. :)

2nd....................

this one kills me...would not believe it unless I read it myself

Please show me where npetreley says any thing....anything at all....
    unscriptural approach the passages you proof text with

npetreley only said what?.....3 lines...so this should be easy.

If not...once again you step beyond and mislead

come now....lets see it

#118 Jarthur001, Nov 13, 2007
  19. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

What you have said does not deny with Gods sovereignty in any way

In fact, what you said is what all calvinist say. Well...not all, but most. :)

The choice was Adams choice. But God also knows the choice and set the arena where Adam would be when he made that choice. God forces no one to sin, but made the arena that lead to the sin, and God know the end when He made the arena. This happens to Adam and pharaoh and Gog and all of us.

20. Allan

Allan Active Member

Hmm... I didn't realize I addressed you James. Oh wait! I didn't :rolleyes:

Npet gave that implicatioin if not assertion in saying:
    "I think the question is really, does God have the right to judge Gog for doing something God Himself manipulated Gog to do? Scripture says, "Yes"."
    By his rephrasing of the question 'does God have the right to judge' a (person, nation, or thing) for doing what He manipulates them into doing, implies they have done nothing prior for God's judgment upon them. So YES, Npet has brought that aspect to bare when saying God can decide to judge them and then bring about the means to make them sin. Other than it being an arbitrary act it also poses (IMO) at least 2 other problems (which are still grounded in that arbitrary act) in Npet view:
    1. This implies they did nothing to warrent Gods judgment until God decided He just wanted to bring judgment upon them for no prior reason. So He needed to 'manipulate them' into doing something that would justify His decision to judge them.
    2. God 'manipulating them' just to bring judgment upon them, makes God the both the initator of their sin AND damnation. He is ABSOLUTELY wrong that God can bring judgment against a person or thing just because or for no reason, which by the way is considered quite arbitrary.

Figures.
    The specific word was not used but it was the crux of his argument. To judge them for doing exactly what God manipulated them into doing but for nothing prior to. My argument was that they were ALREADY to BE judge because of their continuence in sin and Gods drawing them down as a judgment against Israel was the culmination of God about to bring their own judgment upon them. God did not just pick them for no reason but according the npet argument that is exactly what God CAN do.

And if he would have left it at that, no problems.
    That is YOUR 2 cents, but wont by you a cup coffee nor change the implication if not his assertion that God can do it arbitrarily (for no reason but that He wants to) and did it.
    I did, so I guess you know what to do now huh?
    I did and it was.

Much like you just tried to do, huh?

#120 Allan, Nov 13, 2007