1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Trinity

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Dec 6, 2007.

1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My kids attend a Christian high school and recently had an interesting (and difficult) assignment in one their Bible classes. I thought I'd share with you all and see what you come up with. (Don't worry, you are not helping them -- they've already turned in their work.)

Part One - list five verses about God the Father, five verses about the Son and five verses about the Holy Spirit.
    Part two - from those 15 verses, develop the doctrine of the Trinity.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

If those 15 verses set forth the attributes that make for deity, and each of the members of the Godhead possess them---there you have your Trinity. :thumbs:

3. larryjf

larryjf New Member

That's not really enough info. to develop the doctrine of the Trinity. Showing that the three are God and that the three are persons would not discount polytheism. The assignment should have also asked for 5 verses showing that God is 1.

4. bound

bound New Member

Here Here! :applause:

5. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

That's true.

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is the right road -- "Sola Scriptura"!!

The key is the "God ALONE" texts that are applied to Christ, and the Holy Spirit - given that all already accept that the FATHER is God.

In addition you have the places where Christ is called God directly --

For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form," - Colossians 2:9

"But about the Son he says, "Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom." - Hebrews 1:8

"Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood." - Acts 20:28

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.... The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us." - John 1:1, 14

"Jesus said to them, 'My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working.' For this reason the Jews tried all the harder to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own father, making himself equal with God." - John 5:17, 18

"Thomas said to him, 'My Lord and my God!'" - John 20:28

Trinitarian formula -

Matthew 28:19, "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

Holy Spirit as 3rd person of the Godhead -

John 14:16, "And I (God the Son) will pray the Father (God the Father), and He shall give you another Comforter (God the Holy Spirit), that He may abide with you for ever."

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Question - Why is this exercise important?

Answer: because many who claim that tradition NEEDS to be taken as equal to scripture will argue that the Trinity doctrine is ONLY proven via tradition and you can't prove it in scripture THEREFORE all trinitarians MUST reject sola-scriptura arguments. And as we see - it is a false assumption to suppose that the doctrine of the Trinity is not provable - demonstratable "sola scriptura".

in Christ,

Bob

8. PK

PK New Member

Please see answer below.

#8 PK, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2007
  9. PK

PK New Member

T H E T R I N I T Y

Called God - (Father) Philippians 1:2 ; (Son)John 1:1,14; (Holy Spirit) Acts 5:3-4
    Creator- (Father) Isaiah 64:8; 44:24; (Son)Colossians 1:15-17; (Holy Spirit) Job 33:4,26:13
    Resurrects - (Father) 1 Thessalonians 1:10; (Son)John 2:19, 10:17; (Holy Spirit)Romans 8:11
    Indwells- (Father)2 Corinthians 6:16; (Son)Colossians 1:27; (Holy Spirit) John 14:17
    Everywhere - (Father)1 Kings 8:27; (Son) Matthew 28:20; (Holy Spirit) Psalms 139:7-10
    All knowing- (Father)1 John 3:20; (Son) John 16:30; (Holy Spirit) 1 Corinthians 2:10-11
    Sanctifies- (Father) 1 Thessalonians 5:23; (Son) Hebrews 2:11; (Holy Spirit)1 Peter 1:2
    Life giver- (Father)Genesis. 2:7; (Son) John 1:3; 5:21; (Holy Spirit) 2 Corinthians 3:6,8
    Fellowship- (Father) 1 John 1:3; (Son) 1 Corinthians 1:9; (Holy Spirit) 2 Corinthians 13:14
    Eternal- (Father) Psalms 90:2; (Son) Micah 5:1-2; (Holy Spirit) Romans 8:11

5 Verse for God - Genesis 1:1,26; 11:6-7; Deut 6:4; Ps 45:6-7

10. AAA

AAA New Member

The Trinity doctrine states that "GOD is 1".

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Deut 6
    4 "Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!
    5 "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
    6 "These words, which I am
    commanding you today, shall be on your heart.

Mark 12:29
    Jesus answered, "The foremost is, ' HEAR, O ISRAEL! THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD;

John 17
    21 that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me.
    22 ""The glory which You have given Me I have given to them,
    that they may be one, just as We are one;

Ephesians 4:5
    one Lord, one faith, one baptism,

1 Corinthians 8:6
    yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.

Galatians 3:20
    Now a mediator is not for one party only; whereas God is only one.