1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Triune God

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by th1bill, Jan 1, 2011.

?

What is God?

Poll closed Jan 15, 2011.
  1. One

12.5%
  2. Three gods

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. One God manifested in three distinct persons

87.5%
  1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Freeatlast...

Thats...the...whole...point...of...my response to Martin!

As christians we understand that the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit are the 3 distinct persons who ARE the one God...yet its not 3 Gods.

That is a bit beyond our understanding, yet we accept it because it is what the scriptures teach.

So a lost person, or another believer, comes along and they show interest, and they ask questions.
    When Gods triune nature comes up, we witness to them as best we can, given our limitations.

These examples like the "water/ice/steam/ one, and the "egg/yoke/shell" one are good and profitable ways to give a reasonable answer..in picture form..to help them to understand.

...at least until some "trinitarian heretic hunter" comes along accusing these dear ones of being a "sabballeinist heritic" of some sort. :eek:

And they do that IN SPITE OF the fact that they themselves ADMIT that the doctrine of the trinity is a mystery!!

In other words, its a mystery...except that I have it all figured out, and you are wrong. :laugh:

Its just pitiful.

Its very seldom that I "get all revved up"...but something like this will usually do the trick :wavey:

Sorry!

AiC

#41 Alive in Christ, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  2. walkbyfaith

walkbyfaith New Member

Is God a person? Is the Holy Spirit a person? No, of the 3 only Jesus was a flesh and blood person.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

God is a person.
    Jesus is a person.
    The Holy Spirit is a person.

They are all referred to in scripture as "He".

Three persons, one God.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't see marriage as a valid way to understand the Trinity. Marriage is always the picture of Jesus and the church, or in the OT, God and Israel.

5. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Can a person be defined as a spirit? In John 2:24 Jesus clearly says that God is a Spirit

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Just asking?

6. Alive in Christ

Only Jesus walked the earth as a human being.

But Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and the Father are all "persons."

7. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

Do you agree that Jesus was the word of God?

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

When scripture deals with any of the three it uses personal pronouns so yes all three are persons.

9. charles_creech78

Look at what you just said!!!! A person must Worship God in spirit and in truth How can a person worship God in spirit and in truth if they have no spirit or be defined a spirit? For God spirit bare witness with our spirit that we are the sons of God. Think about it! How do you worship God?

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Your statement is simply incorrect. it would be correct if you say you as a Christian believes that all three are distinct persons, but not all Christians believe that. One more thing. Just because you believe that does not make it so. There is no scripture making that statement so it is simply your opinion.

11. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

I stand corrected

12. Alive in Christ

Freeatlast...

You are entitled to your opinion.

I am aware of that.

Well, of course not. My conviction isnt something I dreamed up. It comes from my understanding of the scriptures.

And thats only YOUR opinion.

I believe the scriptures DO make clear that what I am advocating is indeed true.

Just curious...Would you by any chance be a Oneness Pentecostal?

AiC

#52 Alive in Christ, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you take this to it's logical conclusion, then you'll be saying just what I said. Christ prayed concerning the church, And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one, John 17:22. So, it is husband and wife standing together in a covenant relationship as one flesh that is made in the image of God.

14. Alive in Christ

freeatlast...

It is in the scriptures, as Amy pointed out earlier, that ALL THREE members of the Godhead are referred to as HE.

The Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit are all referred to as He.

They are, all 3 of them, persons.

AiC

15. charles_creech78

No they are ONE!

16. Alive in Christ

Yes. These 3 persons ARE the one God.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes. And this is very hard for a mere human to comprehend, if not impossible.

18. walkbyfaith

walkbyfaith New Member

I dont know where some of you get this stuff. The fact that they are referred to as "He" dont make them a person. I have a dog who is a he, but that dont make him a person.

The Scripture clearly defines god as a Spirit. How can you argue against Scripture?

Joh 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
    Joh 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Those are Jesus' words. Some other verses:

Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Act 8:39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

2Co 3:18 And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

Can anyone show me a scripture that says God is a person, other than the vague "He" thing?

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What you are saying is at best unorthodox and at the worst heretical.

A person has a will, intellect and emotions, is self aware. These are not qualities of animals.

God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit have all these qualities.

20. walkbyfaith

walkbyfaith New Member

Asking for Scriptural evidence of what you claim to be truth is not unorthodox or heretical. I see you failed to post any Scripture to back up your opinion.

The dog thing was just an example. But since you bring it up, my dog does have a will.....he is one hard headed Beagle. He has emotions and intellect too, and I'm pretty sure he is aware of himself. Of course, he does not have any of these things to the degrees that we do. Just as we do not have them to the degree that He does.