1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Unconscionable Claims of Michael J. Fox

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Pardon? What are you calling a red herring tactic? What is too vague and for what? :confused:

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Good thing the Lord numbered the hairs on our heads so He can put yours back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

So, you are saying that we should outlaw in vitro fertilization, if you believe that. What should be done with all those frozen embryos that are a result of this process?

BiR

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who says someone won't use it wrongly?

Scare tactic? Justifiably so.

An unethical or ambitious scientist could use this law as cover to illegally clone a human.

It's evidently badly written and takes away the right to clone in the large print, but gives it back in the small print.

5. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I disagree completely!

If these unused cells can be used in research to help cure diseases, I'm all for it.

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

It comes down to a matter of arguing over the lesser of two evils, in essence.

Humankind exists for purpose - ultimately God's good purpose, yes, but purpose nonetheless. Thus from a philosophical, if not strictly theological, standpoint, I would argue for the use of embroyos which are slated to be discarded.

Just to clarify: there is nothing illegal about embroyonic stem cell research. Thee is nothing illegal about using embroyos from fertility clinics, or harvested from live donors, in conducting stem cell research. The debate is whether or not to provide Federal funding for the embroyonic stem cell research, and nothing more.

And about the subject of cloning: I fail to understand why this is such a point of terror for Christians. Even if human beings are cloned, is God unable to provide cloned humans with souls? Has science finally hit upon the one thing God cannot do?

7. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

"Just to clarify: there is nothing illegal about embroyonic stem cell research"

Just a thought, that we (as a nation) are quickly becoming the Pharisees of Jesus time. If it is legal and we do it then we are indeed righteous individuals. When Christ said that our righteousness must exceed the righteousness of the Pharisees is it not possible that he was expressing that our morals are to come from the heart and the spirit of the bible rather than through adherence of the law.

Just because something is legal does not mean that it is right.

There will come a time when they will kill you thinking that they do God and humanity a good service but as long as it is legal I suppose it will be alright. :rolleyes:

Thjplgvp

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to assume you are being facetious.

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Amendment 2 stipulates that Federal guidelines must be followed. Federal law forbids reproductive cloning.

Ends justifies the means for you, eh carpro?

In his basement? How would this law be used as a cover?

There is no "right" to reproductive cloning and you know it, small print or large. It's illegal in the US which includes Missouri.

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

God will judge people that I like . . . He will judge people that I do not like.

But, He will judge everyone. Me, you, and the teenage girl down the street that is seduced by the glitz of the modern world and then seeks an abortion that destroys her life and then she takes her own.

When the those in the image of God murder - God is clear - eliminate the cancer from among us.

May He judge us kindly . . . instead of He judging us harshly.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you cite the applicable federal statute, please?

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I'm busy - I'll let you look it up :)

13. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I guess as long as it's you throwing the switch, you can decide who God judges and does not judge.

14. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Assume this is what I hear being said.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have looked with no success.

Could it be it does not exist and you are mistaken?

16. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I was being facetious (as you probably guessed).

Of course, it's possible - it sure wouldn't be the first time...

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Michael J. Fox did not even bother to read the Missouri initiative before doing his commercials. He still hasn't.

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/story?id=2613377&page=2

Stephanopoulos: In the ad now running in Missouri, Jim Caviezel speaks in Aramaic. It means, "You betray me with a kiss." And his position, his point, is that actually even though down in Missouri they say the initiative is against cloning, it's actually going to allow human cloning.

Fox: Well, I don't think that's true. You know, I campaigned for Claire McCaskill. And so I have to qualify it by saying I'm not qualified to speak on the page-to-page content of the initiative. Although, I am quite sure that I'll agree with it in spirit, I don't know, I— On full disclosure, I haven't read it...

18. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Carpro

Great thread - even if they do not respond for the Truth - they have read it.

Wayne