1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The undiscernibg Glenn Beck

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I just read this from Russell Moore:

http://www.russellmoore.com/2010/08/29/god-the-gospel-and-glenn-beck/

My favorite quote:

Amen and amen!

#21 Ruiz, Aug 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2010
  2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is the scariest sentence in this whole thread.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Moore's blog:

Once in a while I can still be proud to be a Baptist ...

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Dr. Moore is but one of the good men with a biblical worldview instructing future pastors and missionaries at Southern Seminary. What a blessing to have studied under those men!

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do You Portend to Know the Heart of Professed Believers?

Unless I'm mistaking, your statement is a form of gossip. I don't know her heart, but, until she does something to tell me otherwise, I'll believe she is a Christian. :thumbs:

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I loved that video. Glenn Beck is just plain off his rocker.

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    double post

9. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I had never heard of Dr. Moore until a week or so ago on this board. But I agree with him on what he was saying.

This says so much:
    "It’s sad to see so many Christians confusing Mormon politics or American nationalism with the gospel of Jesus Christ."

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've spoken in her church in the past. While not agreeing with some of the doctrine (hey, I'm a Reformed Baptist!) and quirks, they are 100% evangelical. They actively share the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I am not a "Beck" fan and since I live in Mormon Country and see the damage of that cult I would not agree with his theology. But pray that the light of the Gospel and internal working of the holy Spirit will open blind eyes and that he truly might be saved by God's grace. And pray Sarah's testimony will be clear and vibrant witness of her Lord.

(That said, Beck is not a "preacher" or even a good "spokesman" for religion of any sort. Any more than O'Reily is for Catholicism. He is a zealous conservative trying to awaken others to the creeping, er galloping liberalism that will destroy the nation. Nothing wrong with that.)

11. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

This straw man gets flogged so often that all the stuffing must have been pummeled out of it by now. It can hardly be propped without the use of bailing wire and lumber.

Where is the evidence that people are doing this? Certainly not on this board, although some read it into any pro-American comment. You might as well say that honouring our parents is substituting ancestor worship in place of the true Lord. Just nonsense.

12. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

No you misunderstood. The belief that any of these individuals' Christianity will either inform their politic or is a worthy platform for credibility belies a wholly uninformed view of reality in politics.

It is the same kind of view that propped up President Bush as a type of evangelistic statesman who would share the Gospel in the Oval Office.

I'm not so worried about the undiscerning Mr Beck but with sentences like the one you proposed above I am completely shocked by the undiscerning evangelical Christians in our midst.

I've been in rooms with leaders of the RNC and DNC and other parties who have tried to use their religious rhetoric to leverage God's people to a political cause while laughing at us behind our backs. The minute we think politics is a solution to anything that will last we deny the reality of our situation, minimize the truthfulness of sin, and fall prey to wolves we've allowed within our flocks. Too often our shepherds are the ones opening the gates for the wolves.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

I listen to Glenn Beck on occasion, and I have never heard him say anything that is unscriptural. Unless someone had told me he was a Mormon, I would have believed he is a true born again Christian from his actual statements I have heard. He speaks of having our sins forgiven by trusting in Christ. I have never heard him speak Mormon doctrine, but I don't listen to him everyday. I get the impression that most of what he says comes from personal study of the scriptures, not the Mormon church.

I am aware of the false teachings of Mormonism, but I have never heard any of these false teachings from Glenn. I don't personally know exactly what he truly believes.

Has anyone here actually heard him promote false teaching? I would be interested in seeing that if you have documentation somewhere.

I don't listen to Glenn Beck to learn the Christian faith and doctrine to begin with. I consider him an entertainer and he does seem very patriotic.

14. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

So many folks take what Beck says as a Christian, which he isn't. Study the Mormons and you will see much. If I recall from school correctly their believe system is very near a political system, not as much so as Islam but on its way.

Joseph Smith and Brigham Young make a good read. Mormon history and business history make a good read too.
    Apostle Boyd K. Packer said:
    Now about church money, we never published the income figures...
    Its been a policy. a lot of organizations are like that. LA Times, 1983.
    The Mormon empire is a virtual theocracy.

I don't see a straw man.

I don't believe any are doing that but I don't know but last year I was reading how many folks are putting dehydrated foods up in storage today, so they will be able to make it ex amount years. Just as our Mormon friends do and saying Beck was doing advertisements for a company that was selling the foods.

I have never listen to Beck, so most of what I know about him is from reading about him in the papers or hearing something on the radio.

#34 Bob Alkire, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2010
  15. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Beck steps over the line when we he uses religious rhetoric to perfume up his political positions.

Beck attempts to teach the Church when he gets on air and tells people to avoid any pastor or ministry that uses words like "social justice" and compares them to communists.

16. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

I was actually not commenting on Beck at all, though I guess that wasn't clear. I've heard Beck maybe once due to the hours I work, so I can't really make any statements regarding his program. I do know that he drives lefties on DailyKos to distraction so it can't be all bad. But I can't imagine taking spiritual advice from an LDS.

The statement that "Christians are confusing American nationalism with the gospel of Jesus Christ" was the strawman, and that's what I responded to. I don't know of anyone who confuses the USA with the savior, but we hear all the time that Christians are doing so.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The problem is not with what Beck stands for in the political arena or even in the area of returning to right living. The problem is what he stands for in the religious one. We are commanded not to have any fellowship with those in darkness. Anyone who claims to be a Christian and links themselves with this man violates that command. This is one reason I feel Sarah Palin is nothing but a fraud using the claim of Christianity to gain some political advantage. My bet is that most people who are Christian do not know what the Mormons teach and believe. Here is a link that makes it simple to know. It takes about 6 minutes to watch but after one sees and hears what Mormons believe and teach it is clear that no Christian should be in fellowship with them or following their type of leadership.
    http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=jFZ1jVO3-OE&feature=related

18. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are YOU Now Judging Me?

You are digging, for yourself, a deeper pit.

Are you accusing me of being "undiscerning" because I trust that Sarah's love of the Lord has a direct or indirect impact on Beck?

I know you are not meaning to sound this way, so let's leave it at that...

Actually, Dr. Bob confirmed the same premise of hope that I have in Sarah having a Godly influence over Beck, who truly looks up to and respects Palin. My prayers will be for her influence to impact his heart and affect a change of spiritual direction.

Bless you my brother,:thumbs:

Pastor Paul :type:

19. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

So would it be OK to rub elbows politically with a Mormon and draw the line in siding with them in anyway theologically? Was the rally on Saturday more of a political or religious rally? I would say religious, and that to me is wrong for a Christian to ally them self with a person of a false religion. We don't have the same God.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

He compares EVERYBODY to communists and Nazis.

He is a silly gusher and the more effeminate our culture becomes the more appeal guys like Beck have.

Can you imagine someone like Beck having a following in the days of Gregory Peck and John Wayne?

I agree with some of what Beck says- I just don't like the way he says it.

His emotionalism bothers me more than his Mormonism.

BTW, I am not against emotion or passion- I just don't like girly gushing in a man.