1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The vague God - Is God Ambigious?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by christianyouth, Jan 26, 2007.

1. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Many people I know seem to be having a real hard time with the concept of faith. They do not understand how they can make themselves believe that Jesus is the Son of God, and then attain eternal life. The whole concept of faith baffles them, and it baffles me.

How could I convince myself that there is an invisible elf living in my attic, who flings piles of mud at my dog when shes trying to sleep? I could not believe in this invisible elf, named Bravis, enless I seen evidence that he was really up there. I would have to see elf droppings, hear him running around, see mud on my dog, and just various proofs that he existed, otherwise, I would have to conclude that the concept is ridiculous.

So, how can Peter command the Philippian jailer to believe? Can one force themselves to believe? That does not seem likely, and it doesn't seem intellectually honest.

What about Jesus, in certain cities he did more miracles then others, but if he really desired all men to be saved, why wouldn't he reveal himself to all?

Looking forward to some feedback,
    In Christ,
    Andy

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm.....you've got the wrong apostle.....and the wrong version of the story.

That was Paul. And he didn't command anyone to believe anything. The earthquake woke up the jailer and when the jailer saw the doors of the prison were open, he was going to commit suicide rather than face his superior officers.

Paul saw this and yelled out, "Wait! Don't do that! We're all here!" When the jailer saw that Paul had not tried to escape, he fell in front and Paul and said, "What must I do to be saved?!" He knew why Paul was in jail and had heard them singing hymns all night. He knew that this was God protecting Paul.

Paul led him to the Lord. Paul didn't force nor command anyone to believe anything.

Before I answer that, are you saying that it's miracles that make people believe?

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

No one makes themselves believe, it comes from God.

4. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

You have a very interesting imagination!

To address your question...

No one believes unless they are first directed by the Holy Spirit to understand their condition in the sight of God, then lead by the Holy Spirit to repent, then given a messure of faith by the Holy Spirit to believe.

The common thing is the Holy Spirit that bears witness with the spirit of the man being dealt with.

The evidence you are asking for is the witness of the Holy Spirit and the testimony of the truth of God's word...which, once again is revealed by the Holy Spirit!

Max

5. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That little extra detail right there is a little creepy. :)

6. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

What if you seen the elf droppings, but did not see the elf. Even if there was evidence pointing you toward the fact that an elf is in your attic, with-out seeing the elf you would have to have faith to believe that the droppings were actualy an elf and not another explanation for them.

My point it that there is alot of evidence for faith in Jesus. There are prophecies that were fulfilled. Miricals done. All evidence leads to the fact that Jesus is the Son of God. But to believe the evidence points to the fact that Jesus is who He says, and not make a more human rational conclution takes faith. And that faith is given to us by the Holy Spirit.

I just finished the book "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel. It is full of evidence both Biblical and historical. A good book if you are looking for the "various proofs that he existed".