1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The value of the BV forum

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Mexdeaf, May 19, 2006.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Scott,
    You are the master at personal attacks, name calling and inuendo, so one must laugh at any attempt by you to compare any group as following your pattern.

2. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

WHy not deal with Scott's post, rather than these blanket statements?

Do you have anything of substance with which to refute what he said?

If not, why say anything?

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very recently, all of you saw me ask a gentleman how he could believe a certain doctrine men have built up about a certain Bible version, KNOWING that doctrine has no Scriptural support whatsoever-and he did every spin move in the Pirrsburgh Steelers' play book insteada just honestly answering the question. I've found that lack of honesty showing itself in almost every advocate of that doctrine whenever I've spoken with them. To me, part of Christian life is being 100% honest, telling the TRUTH as far as I know it.

If I'm asked a question to which I don't know the answer, I admit it. For example, a gentleman asked me how many times the 1769 KJV edition had changed 'Holy Ghost' to 'Holy Spirit', and I didn't know, (and STILL don't) and answered "I don't know". But when I asked this same gent for evidence to justify his advocating a false doctrine, he went onto centrifuge mode, spinning fast as he could.

WHAT'S HAPPENED TO HONESTY? If he had no evidence why didn't he ADMIT it? Why didn't he simply say, "I like my Bible version better than any other" and be done with it? Why try , as a Christian, to defend a FALSE DOCTRINE about that version?

I know he and just about every other member here knows what God thinks of liars, and it seems to me that evasion, camouflage, spin, subject-changing, purposely ignoring, & deafening silence, are pushing the envelope, just short of outright lying. I don't believe JESUS is happy with such behavior. I wonder what they're ashamed of. I KNOW what they're trying to hide...they have NO EVIDENCE with which to support their doctrine; they don't wanna admit they've hitched onto a cloud without rain. Are they ashamed that they've been deceived?

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

In spite of being warned this thread contunes to wander from the topic of "The value of the BV forum"

The nexy off topic post will result in its closure

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I have actually learned some things about the different versions from reading this forum. It's also led me to do personal research and reading to learn more.

6. kubel

kubel New Member

Same here.

I just wish people could calm down a bit. I know it's a heated topic, but we should still present our views with love and respect.

7. DesiderioDomini

I disagree C4K. Isnt a major part of this forum's value is for others to learn about bible translation issues. Isnt the fact that false teachings exist, and the fact that the teachers of those false doctrines refuse to offer any evidence or answer simple questions honestly part of the value of this forum?

I for one feel this forum would be much better if stricter rules were made for making blanket claims without any evidence to support them! I feel that should be enforced on those who support any version.

Until such a day arrives where this forum takes HONESTY seriously, and ceases to tolerate dishonesty, its value will be much less than it could and should be.

8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The value of this forum is to discuss the various translations & versions, having a fairly large group of contributors. It's inevitable that arguments are gonna break out when discussing politics, sports, makes of motor vehicles, or matters of worship.

As for the KJVO issue, it's a hot item among all English-speaking Christians, but especially so among Baptists. I feel that if there were a specific forum for that subject, with any "flaming' prohibited, and that all other forums were STRICTLY regulated, prohibiting any mention whatsoever of KJVO, anti-KJVO, or any other MY version is best" controversies, we'd all be happier and better off.

But it's asking a little much of a group of Baptists for us to just stifle the KJVO issue. It's gonna pop up elsewhere; containing it is as trying to lock up Jello in a bird cage.

Perhaps the largest benefit of this forum is to introduce many people to the underlying texts that were used to make their Bibles.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As fewer and fewer English-speaking Baptists are involved in the "controversy" of KJVonly, it will become less of an issue.

Here, however, on the BB are a number of ifb who seem inordinately affected. So it WILL arise.

We just ask that folks who love and support a given translation will do so without disparaging others' translations that they love and support.

Big request. But doable.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Heresy has everything to do with the faith once delivered. </font>[/QUOTE]Heresy? I thought heresy had to do with the fundamentals of the faith, not with BV's. Is KJVO the same as Gnosticism? I don't think so. But set me straight if I am wrong.

11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.
    A proper understanding of the inspiration of the scriptures is a fundamental of the faith. In fact it is the basis for all the rest of the fundamentals.
    No.
    Neither do I, and I have never equated KJVOism with Gnosticism.
    That is what I have been trying to do!

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heresy is often equated with any false doctrine, as contrasted with Orthodoxy. And a key doctrine under attack is the Doctrine of Inspiration.

Historic orthodoxy states that God gave His Word (verbal, plenary inspiration) and holy men of old wrote as thus guided by the Spirit. Every word (as breathed by God in Greek/Hebrew) is perfect.

The attack comes when some try to then move this orthodox doctrine to encompass 1611 (or ANY year of ANY translation) and make the product of fallible men NOT thus guided by the Spirit and NOT given God-breathed actual words to pen have the same "double" inspiration.

Thus it attacks the foundational doctrine (first fundamental of the faith, first Baptist distinctive, et al).

13. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

The message I get from this forum is that it makes no difference which version you use. If that is true I submit that we are wasting our time discussing it.

Do away with the BV forum!

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AF ,you are mistaken . I don't know anyone here who would say any ole'(or new )version will do , that it doesn't make a difference what version you use . But personal preferences still come into play .

I don't see anyone endorsing the Message as the way to go or even the TEV , or Living Bible etc. They may be referenced , but are not considered reliable by the postings I have come across .

I think the discussions we have here are valuable .

15. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

Excuse me. I should have said "The message I get from this forum is that it makes no difference which valid english version you use. If that is true I submit that we are wasting our time discussing it."

My vote remains - ditch the BV forum.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes ,I am of the opinion that it makes no difference what VALID version one uses .

17. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

I say have a forum just for KJVO discussions and refutation, and kick anyone out who starts or carries on those kind of discussion in this forum. Then this forum can stick to discussing differences of readings and translation among valid Bible versions.

Other boards, like the EZBoard Bible Versions, do this. Why not we?

18. DesiderioDomini

What I dont understand is those who post here, yet want the forum closed.

Why hang around?

19. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Interesting question.

20. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I am also in the camp of not caring which valid version is used.

But I see value to this forum. For example -- earlier there was a discussion in one of the heated threads about alternate word uses in various versions -- fear, revere, respect. It may be minor, but it is an example of the kind of useful conversation that can occur on this forum.