1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Well and the Water: An Allegory

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by swaimj, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

And those sources excluded the ones then available that are known as the Alexandrian, or "corrupt" MSS too.:godisgood:

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Last warning folks. Closure without notice if we can't discuss the allegory.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear C4K, here is an excerpt from the allegory:

I thought we were addressing exactly the premise of the allegory (unless I am completely misunderstanding the allegory it concerns the "authorized" version the 1611 KJB versus the other wells (not authorized).

I showed a quote where the KJB translators supported the "water" from other "wells".

Perhaps it is not me of whom you are being critical, I'm sorry if that is the case.

Let me answer Salamander's questions and let me know if it is off-base in your estimation and delete it.

Everything Catholic is mostly wrong because their well (the Douay-Rheims/Vulgate) has been polluted.

Again in the allegory, impure things are found in their well such as the Apocrypha and certain translations of certain verses within their own fountain. Consider the following passage from the Douay:

Douay
    Matthew 3:1 And in those days cometh John the Baptist preaching in the desert of Judea.
    2 And saying: Do penance: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

The doctrine of doing penance IMO is poison in the well.

Here is a site which explains what Anglo-Catholic means:

http://www.chnetwork.org/trconv.htm

The original 1611 First edition of the “pure water” contained the Apocrypha.

Personally and according to the allegory, I support every well which is clean.

Here is where the allegory breaks down:
    A well is dug in the earth and small particles of soil in the water is the nature of an earthen well.

As long as the water is not diseased then it is clean.

There is only one pure source and it's not an earthen well:

KJV Psalm 119:89 LAMED. For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.​

HankD​

4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Ok, so the allegory is only an alleged misconception of the actual truh concerning the word of God and is completely another example of bias attempting to validate itsself through an imaginatory scheme.

The word of God is the pure well water, unaltered, yet one actually, not allegorically, could possibly pollute.

Additives, false examples of what appears to be pure well water, etc. are not pure well water.

This allegory is a futile attempt which incorporates man's reason, again, to negate the KJB as if it is not "pure well water".

This excerpt from the allegory is silly. Is it really that "every lover of water" is not truly a lover of water?:laugh:

Also, since the allegory suggests, correctly, there is one "Authorized Well", the indication of any "Pseudo-Authorities" is solely the interpretation of those biased to invent such psuedo-authoritarians in the same scheme mentioned above.

Of mention, it is always weariness what the purest of all well water inflicts upon those who attempt to introduce their concoctions derived from other wells as if they are too, pure.:godisgood:

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Where in the allegory is this specifically named?

6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I know it is the same scheme to cause others to think their arguement is valid to inteject the quote above, but to say that the word of God is allegorically all well water, is the same as the word of God misreperesents the truth, still.

The word of God never belonged to any king except the King of kings. To try and use the allegory also shows this idea: by referring to the Authorized Well as also being the "King's Well", the capitilaztion of the "K" would then mean it is the King of king's Well and those who dug other wells are getting water from another source other than God.:tongue3:

7. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Imaginatory? That's not a legitimate English word.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Gotta' be "a legitimate English word" 'cause Google hits on it ~ 5,230 times. :tonofbricks:

It's unimaginable (~3,710,000 'hits') that this could be imaginary (~18,900,000 'hits'). :thumbs:

Surely imaginatory couldn't be just a figment of someone's imagination (~67,600,000 'hits') could it? :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Gary Busey, "When you get lost in your imaginatory vagueness your foresight will become a nimble vagrant.":wavey:

Who is it that "legitimizes" a word?

Results 1 - 10 of about 5,650 for imaginatory. (0.18 seconds) And it's growing all the time!:laugh:

Maybe I should have said imaginatoryistic ? Or simply called it imaginatorianism ?

#29 Salamander, May 6, 2008
    Last edited: May 6, 2008
  10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it's not in the KJV , does it count as a legit word Sal ?

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:laugh: [FONT=verdana,sans-serif][/FONT][​IMG][FONT=verdana,sans-serif] [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]

Don't exactly know why, but for some reason this seemed an appropriate response, here.

Ed
    [/FONT]

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

OK, I have read both allegorical stories, as well as every post in the thread, up to the time I am typing this.

I get the point of both, I believe.

The first allegory breaks down, IMO, because of the assumption that it is "pure water". No problem, but how pure does pure have to be, in order to be considered pure? No one apparently ever 'tested' this water, either from the Authorized Well, or any of the others, in either story. One can only observe the results. They did not seem to significantly differ, from what I read. Likewise, we apparently have no way to test for absolute purity, in either case, for the water is proving "untestable", in that sense..

Plus, the first story is an allegory at best, so maybe we should not try and build too much technical data, on it.

The second story is, likewise, an allegory. So maybe, we should not try and build too much data on it, either.

Plus, where did the water originate that made its way into the aquifier? Why, guess what? It too, originated from the precipitation that fell onto the snow capped mountains, at a much higher elevation atop the snow capped mountains melted, and as it melted, much ran into the aquifier, apparently.

All of it appears to be life-sustaining water. :praying:

Let's all drink! :thumbs:

Ed

#32 EdSutton, May 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2008
  13. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

:godisgood: :thumbs:

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Just what kind of question is that? Are you trying to say there is no Bible because the word "Bible" isn't found in the KJB?

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Of course you don't know why.

16. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I think maybe you forgot what the Bible says about the fountains of the deep.

17. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I'll take the tag at the end of your post PERSONAL!:applause:

18. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Yes, but Gary Busey is a simpl... Oh! Now I see the resemblance.

(just a joke) :laugh:

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I forgot nothing about "the fountains of the ocean" or the "sources of the watery depths". But they are not particularly relevant to the allegory, as I read them, in the first place.

In the second place, I'd strongly suggest they had to do with water in the ocean, not on a high plain or desert, for I've never heard anyone who suggested "the deep", or "the great deep" as possibly referring to anything else, except for Lk. 8:31 and Rom. 10:17 where considering the context of bringing Christ up friom the dead, makes this KJV rendering seem to be a poor one, and here "the deep" from "την αβυσσον" is better rendered as "the abyss", as most of the other standard versions do, and where even the KJV usually renders "αβυσσος" as "bottomless pit", in most other instances.

In the third place, these "fountains of the deep" as well as the "windows of heaven" were both stopped or closed at the end of the flood, as I read it, according to Gen. 8:2. I don't see anywhere that says either have ever opened up again, in that manner, and in fact, God said he would not destroy the earth again, in that manner. (Gen. 9:11-17) The "windows of heaven" are only again spoken of as "to be opened" to give the blessings to us for faithfulness in Mal. 3:10. Here, Gen. 8:2:
    Ed

#39 EdSutton, May 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  20. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

And it is meant to be personal. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.