1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The wicked shall be a ransom for the righteous

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

What does this mean?

Proverbs 21:18
    The wicked shall be a ransom for the righteous, and the transgressor for the upright.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a general rule, I think, (not an absolute command of God) God will cause the circumstances of the wicked and the righteous to be reversed when the righteous are (wrongly) in trouble and/or the wicked go unpunished.

peace to you:praying:

3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

This possibly speaks to the idea (I've read it somewhere) that it was of necessity that some be condemned and forever punished as an everlasting rememberance to the redeemed of the greatness of God's mercy toward them in view of His hatred of sin.

In other words, as sinners are cast into the lake of fire, we that are saved will understand fully "Were it not for the grace of God, there go I!"

But, since the passage is from Proverbs, I might be inclined to think it speaks to something more practical.

4. skypair

skypair Active Member

Jarthur -- I believe it speaks of Jesus becoming "wicked" and "transgressor" on the cross for the "righteous" and "upright" who would believe. It shows Jesus taking our place.

It seems "cryptic" because God still hadn't revealed to Israel how He would take away their sins.

skypair