1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The will of God in the salvation of men: Matt:11:27

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by canadyjd, Jul 4, 2009.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's because you're not part of the team.:smilewinkgrin:

Jesus spoke the words, Matthew recorded the words under inspiration of Holy Spirit, the church preserved the words, by the power of Holy Spirit, canadyjd repeated the words on the BB, and some people rejected the words because the words do not fit with what they want to believe, so they make up their own words to replace the words of Jesus......

.......canadyjd points out that Jesus disagrees with them, which just states the obvious.

That doesn't make me a spokesperson for Jesus, (as if Jesus were speaking to me audibly) that just means I believe what I read in scripture rather than what I hear from men.

peace to you:praying:

#41 canadyjd, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2009
  2. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    My intent is to discuss a passage of scripture, hearing what others have to say, and answering questions that arise.

If you think you "know it's intent" to be anything other than what I have stated, you are mistaken.
    Please show me from scripture where God has given "all men via the Holy Spirit" enough light to believe?
    That's not the point of the question.

Jesus said if those cities had seen miracles, they would have repented.

Why did God not send someone to those cities to do miracles so they would repent?

3. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    He says the "wise and intellegent".

Do you think the "wise and intellegent" are referring to cats and dogs? Horses and donkeys? Monkeys and lions? Or is He referring to people?

Of course He is referring to people.:rolleyes:
    Of course He is reflecting on O.T. accounts of these cities. And He reveals new truth that was not yet known about those cities. If those cities had seen the kind of miracles performed in the cities of Jesus' day, they would have repented.

You still refuse to answer the question... Why didn't God send someone to those cities to perform miracles so they would repent?
    Jesus doesn't say that if He had come to Sodom or the other cities to perform the miracles they would have repented. He said that if those miracles had occurred in the cities, they would have repented.

God could have sent anyone to do the miracles.
    I have read your comments on the topic. They are contrary to scripture. They are contrary to the Words of Jesus in scripture.

4. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that doesn't change the fact that Jesus told them the reason they do not believe (either Him or the miracles) is because they are not His sheep.

Being one of His sheep, already known by name by Him and the Father, is a requirement to belief resulting in salvation. Otherwise, they remain in unbelief and under condemnation.

#44 canadyjd, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2009
  5. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

Yeah, now go back and read what I said about that.

Wow, what a profound observation. WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE?

Yeah, that's my point. How is it possible that they had the ability to repent?
    For the same reason he doesn't appear in any cities to do that. He doesn't do that. That ministry took place for only roughly 3 decades more than 2000 years ago.

So? God doesn't have to do that for me to be correct. I say he doesn't ever do that anymore. So?

Apparently you think that my theory depends upon God doing miracles in cities for some reason. I don't care whether he does or not. In fact, I say he does not do it any longer. So what?!

No they're not. You haven't even told me how they are contrary to Scripture. Apparently, you agree that they would have repented. That alone proves my theology correct, and the theology of those who oppose me wrong. You and I are sided against those who oppose me. You're my dream come true!

#45 BaptistBob, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
  6. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

I already addressed that. The fact that you didn't interact with what I said makes me suspect that I have scored a victory.

Right. They already believed God and did not follow another (10:8) prior to Christ's arrival. Of course, unless you believe that unbelievers who reject God are those who don't follow another, you must agree with me that those who do not follow another are those who follow God. That's what the "sheep" did prior to Christ, and when he arrived they knew him. Pretty simple when you don't skip over verses that disprove your theory, isn't it?

Touchdown!

#46 BaptistBob, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
  7. Winman

Winman Active Member

God determines how much space or latitude to give a person.

Rev 2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
    21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

Jezebel could have repented, and God gave her space to do so. The scriptures say that. But she refused.

Rev 2:22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
    23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

In verse 22 we see it is too late for Jezebel. She has had plenty of opportunity to repent and refused. But remarkably God is still offering the chance to repent to those who are commiting this spiritual adultery with her. So, they still have a chance at this point.

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You believe, if I understand you correctly, that God looked out upon the earth and saw some who considered themselves to be wise and intellegent and others who were humble like children. Because God doesn't like those who consider themselves to be wise and intellegent, He decided to withhold certain things about salvation from them. Because God likes those who are humble, He revealed things about salvation to them.

The problem with your belief is that it has people earning their salvation based on their humbleness.

That is why I have stated it is contrary to scripture and the point of the passage.

If I have misunderstood you, go ahead and explain how.
    That's my point, they didn't have the ability to repent unless God choose to reveal something about Himself to them. If God intervenes in their lives, they repent and are saved.

God chose not to reveal things to them so that they would repent, even though He could have.
    That is just avoiding the question. God clearly could have sent someone to do miracles if He wanted to. Based on what Jesus said, if God had chosen to, they would have repented. But God didn't send anyone. Why not?
    You stated that God doesn't hide things from people. Jesus said God the Father does hide things from people. That makes your comments contrary to the words of Jesus. If you can't see that, I can't help you.
    You are confusing the point of the passage. The point is that God reveals things concerning salvation to some and hides them from others.

That demonstrates the soveriegnty of God in the salvation of men.

9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are misunderstanding the analogy.

Sheep were kept in a common pen for the winter. Each sheep would recognize the voice of his owner when the owner came to claim him.

They weren't "believers" prior to Jesus calling them. v. 9 says "I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he shall be saved...." Notice the person isn't saved until he is saved through Christ, the "Door" to salvation.

And your theory doesn't take into account the Gentiles, who couldn't have been believers in God.

And you didn't address v.26, although you claim to have addressed it. Jesus told them the reason they didn't believe was because they weren't of His sheep. He had just chastised them for not believing Him or the works He had done.

That is when He says, "But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep."

Like you said, it's easy if you don't dismiss the verses that don't support your beliefs.
    The touchdown you thought you scored has been called back on penalties. Penalty #1: Misunderstanding of scripture. Penalty #2: Flagrantly ignoring scripture that disproves your theory. Penalty #3: Pretending to address a passage of scripture, when you, in fact, completely ignored it.

Ball on your own 20 yard line. Start all over and try to stay in bounds this time.:smilewinkgrin:

10. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

Sure they were. They didn't believe in Jesus, because Jesus hadn't arrived, but they did beleive the Father. Jesus said that the sheep did not follow another prior to his arrival. They believed God, so they rejected others, but they knew Christ when he came. Now Jesus is the Door to salvation - the very salvation all Jews were waiting for.

Why couldn't Gentiles have been believers in God? Have you read the NT?

However, Jesus isn't mantaining consistant imagery throughout this passage (e.g., sometimes he is a shepherd and sometimes a gate), so he could be speaking proleptically. If so, it supports my argument as well.

Yes, I did address this. I did so a number of times. Those who did not believe God did not believe Jesus.

True. They don't believe in them because they don't believe the Father. If they had already believed the Father, then seeing the miracles would have caused them to see Christ as sent by God.

However, if they will examine the miracles, they will see that they are what God was talking about. Then they will believe God, and belief in Christ will result.

Look at how Jesus explains the same thing earlier:

7:16 Jesus answered, "My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me. 17If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own.

Yeah, that's my point. How can those who aren't sheep believe? That would be absurd. Rejecting God and believing Christ???? How can that happen? Absurd.

Thanks for helping me prove my point. Sheep are believers. Believers are sheep. If they didn't believe Moses, they won't believe Christ. If they didn't believe the Father, they won't believe Christ.

8All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them.

Pretty simple when you don't skip over verses that disprove your theory, isn't it?

#50 BaptistBob, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
  11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...rather...canadyjd gives his interpretation of what Jesus says, and claims diving authority in proclaiming such. Between canadyjd and the Holy Spirit within...I'll take the Holy Spirit :)

12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The passage doesn't say the sheep believed the Father. It doesn't mention the Father at all.

At this point I see that our views of the way scripture is to be interpreted are so different, it is unlikely we will ever come to an agreement.

Therefore, thanks for the input and....

#52 canadyjd, Jul 13, 2009
  13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, let's see what the passage says.

Matt. 11:25 "At that time Jesus answered and said, 'I praise Thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that Thou didst hide these things from the wise and intellegent and reveal them to babes.'"

canadyjd's interpretation of this passage is that Jesus claims that God hides things from some people and reveals them to other people.

BaptistBob has directly rejected canadyjd's interpretation, saying that God doesn't hide things from people.

Now, webdog, what does indwelling Holy Spirit say to you about his passage?

Does God hide things from some people and reveal them to other people?

Or, does God not hide things from people?

I will wait patiently while you consult Holy Spirit to give you the answer, and I won't accuse you of claiming Divine authority if you agree with me that the words are not difficult do understand.

14. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

What I see is that you can't comment on 10:8. You ignore it and keep asking me to comment on other things. 10:8 is the key to understanding the relationship of the "sheep" to the Father, and also helps us understand why Christ keeps talking about the Father in this context.

So, if the "sheep" did not "follow another," who did they follow? I've asked you that question repeatedly, but you will not answer. I DO have an answer, and I have told you why.

15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, John 10:8 is not the key to understanding the passage.

To understand John 10, you need to understand that Jesus is speaking to the pharisees that were opposing Him because He healed, on a Sabbath, the man who had been born blind.(chp. 9).

To understand the significance of John 9, you need to understand the concept of the "work of God", which Jesus defined in chp. 6:29 "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent."

With this definition in mind, we see Jesus addressing the issue of the man born blind in chp.9:3-4 "Jesus answered, 'It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was in order that the works of God might be displayed in him. (4) We must work the works of Him who sent Me, as long as it is day; night is coming, when no man can work.'"

Though the miracles demonstrate Jesus is God, and are called works, "The" work of God is to bring belief (salvation) to those Jesus has been given by the Father (His sheep).

And so, the man born blind is a sheep and is healed, the controversy arises, he is kicked out to synagogue, and Jesus finds him (v35) "Jesus heard that they had put him out; and finding him, He said, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?" (v.36) He answered and said, 'And who is He, Lord, that I may believe in Him?'" (v.37) Jesus said to him, 'You have both seen Him, and He is the one who is talking with you,'" (v.38) And he said, 'Lord, I believe.' And he worshiped Him.

The result of the "works=miracle=healing the blindness" is the "The" work of God (belief in Him whom He sent) is accomplished. The man born blind says "Lord,I believe" and he worshiped Him. He became a believer. That was the very purpose of his being born blind, that Jesus would find him, heal him, and bring him to salvation.

Then Jesus makes a play on the concept of "blindness", saying He would cause some to see and others to become blind. He is clearly speaking in spiritual terms here (9:39-41).

Jesus then begins His discourse of the Good Shepherd in chp.10.

In the case of v.5 "And a stranger they simply will not follow...." and v.8 "All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them."....

.....in the context of the passage, the "sheep" that did not listen or follow the stranger, but listened to the voice of his master, is the man who had been born blind and later became a believer. The ones he would not follow were the pharisees.

When you read chp. 9, you will find the council attempted to coerce the man to denounce Jesus as a sinner (for healing on the Sabbath). The man would not listen to their voice. He would not follow them. He had heard the voice of his master, and he could not denounce Him.

The man born blind is the sheep that would not listen to another master or follow any other but Jesus. He is the one Jesus sought out to accomplish the work of God, which is salvation of the sheep.

With all that in mind, it is clear, then, when Jesus tells the pharisees that "you do not believe because you are not of My sheep", it means what it so plainly says.

Those pharisees were not one of the sheep and that is why they couldn't respond to the miracles, that is why they wouldn't follow His voice, that is why they did not believe.

They were not chosen by God to be one of His sheep.

#55 canadyjd, Jul 13, 2009
  16. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

You're right that the blind man demonstrates the priniciple (I was the first to mention this), but you still miss the point. "All" who "came before" Christ were rejected by the sheep. He isn't speaking of that day alone, but all the days that led up to that day. Jesus arrives at the gated community (pun intended), the watchman knows him and lets him in, and the sheep know who he is, and they've rejected all others who came before. He just arrived. They've been waiting!

In addition, you still haven't answered the question. The question you STILL have not answered is Who are they following prior to Christ? If the sheep did not follow another before he came, who do they follow if not Father God? And if they have been following Father God, then believers are sheep, and there are no unbelieving sheep.

Of course it means what it says. You don't believe it.

#56 BaptistBob, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2009
  17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your interpretation is wrong.
    This would depend on the context and what you mean, would it not?

18. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just because you say, doesn't make it true. Show me from the text how my interpretation is wrong, if you are able.

Here it is again:

Perhaps the words "Thou didst hide these things...." doesn't mean God actually hides things from people.

Perhaps it was opposite day. But that doesn't help your position either, since He also says the Father reveals things to others.

But then again, you never addressed the text, did you? You just say "your wrong", as if they proves everything when it doesn't prove anything.
    The context is the unrepentant cities. If God had sent someone to do miracles at Tyre, Sidon, and Sodom, they would have repented. Jesus said so. God didn't.

Then Jesus says that God the Father hides things from some and reveals it to others.

Thus, the will of God in the salvation of men.

19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you could show me where you mentioned this? I can't find it.
    I believe you are reading more into the text than is there, or is intended.

You are saying the "sheep" refer only to believing Jews. Those believing Jews wouldn't follow anyone else, ever, prior to salvation.

We know that is simply untrue. The disciples of John the Baptist followed John the Baptist. A couple followed Jesus after following John the Baptist. Matthew was a dispised tax collector, following Rome and seeking money before he followed Jesus. Nicodemas, and Joseph of Armimethea both were pharisees, followed the teachings of the pharisees before they followed Jesus. Paul followed the teachings of the pharisees, specifically the teachings of Gamiliel, before Jesus revealed Himself to him and he followed Jesus. Paul was a Jew, a pharisee, and a persecutor of Christians prior to following Jesus.

Your theory has no legs to stand on.

#59 canadyjd, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2009
  20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is true...and BaptistBob did a good enough job of doing so, that anything I would say would just be repeating the truths he laid out.
    Again, following this thread, I believe the text has been addressed sufficiently. You have rejected that...you will reject anything I would add.
    You believe God "hides things" from man prior to rejecting Truth (Romans 1)?