1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Wisdom of a Doctor

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by givengrace, Nov 20, 2008.

1. givengrace

givengrace New Member

My husband sent this to me in an E mail form. So if you like it feel free to copy and paste it into one to send out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of a Doctor

A worried woman went to her gynecologist and said:

'Doctor, I have a serious problem and desperately need your help! My baby is not even 1 yr. old and I'm pregnant again. I don't want kids so close together.'

So the doctor said: 'Ok, and what do you want me to do?'

She said: 'I want you to end my pregnancy, and I'm counting on your help with this.'

The doctor thought for a little, and after some silence he said to the lady: 'I think I have a better solution for your problem. It's less dangerous for you too.'

She smiled, thinking that the doctor was going to accept her request.

Then he continued: 'You see, in order for you not to have to take care of 2 babies at the same time, let's kill the one in your arms. This way, you could rest some before the other one is born. If we're going to kill one of them, it doesn't matter which one it is. There would be no risk for your body if you chose the one in your arms.

The lady was horrified and said: 'No doctor! How terrible! It's a crime to kill a child!
    'I agree', the doctor replied. 'But you seemed to be ok with it, so I thought maybe that was the best solution. The doctor smiled, realizing that he had made his point.
    He convinced the mom that there is no difference in killing a child that's already been born and one that's still in the womb. The crime is the same!

If you agree, please forward. Together we can help save precious lives!

"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee;
    and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee"
    (Jeremiah 1:5)

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reasonable and needful logic.

3. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Sadly, I believe some people's moral code is so skewed that they might consider the doctor's offer.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, those who support abortion will say this is a flawed story, because unlike the doctor, they do recognize a difference between the two children: one is unborn, and therefore is a parasite.

5. givengrace

givengrace New Member

Do Parasite's have a Heartbeat?

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Parasites "live off" their host; whether they have a heartbeat or not is irrelevant.

BTW: I'm anti-abortion. I find, however, that I must be able to argue from the side of my enemy in order to be able to defeat their arguments.

7. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am against abortions and training to be a doctor.

While I agree with the view that the doctor should encourage the woman to explore alternatives to abortion, I think the way presented in this story would probably accomplish the opposite. The condescending attitude of the doctor would likely cause the woman never to see him again and have her go to another doctor who would perform the abortion for her with no counseling towards alternatives.

A better approach would be to help the woman flush out what exactly it is about a 2nd child so close to the first one that concerns her. Help her to find ways to resolve those issues like help from her social network to ease the burden so that she would consider keeping the child. Or consider adoption if her concerns are about post-birth issues and not pregnancy issues. If she insists on abortion, I would explain my moral dilemma with it and refer her to another doctor.

#7 Gold Dragon, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
  8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I do see your point, I also think that too many times what someone needs is a proverbial 2X4 up side the head, like the proverbial stubborn mule, to get their attention; then you can talk sensibly to them.

Confronting evil, ignorance, stupidity, or just plain foolishness is not to be approached like telling a child that they need to cover their mouth when they sneeze.

You have to get a person out of the negative mindset before they are even willing to listen. Abruptness may just be the key for this step. Then sensible discussion can follow.

'Course one must be guided by the Holy Spirit regardless of the approach, or all efforts may well be for naught.