1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The wolf is at the door!

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Gina B, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

As a writer it amused me to have that saying become a literal one.

(ok so it was across the way, but close enough)

Does anyone else have something amusing that actually happened but is a common saying to describe a figurative situation or event?

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't remember one off the top of my head.But I dislike the overwhelming tendency of folks using the word "literally" for emphasis.It's clear that the literal case could not be.Just yesterday at church at our fellowship meal someone related to me that "They literally got in a fight about it."I replied :"Really,they came to blows?"She responded with :"No,you know I didn't mean that literally!" Hmm.

3. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

yeah, I can think back when I was a kid and something or another "hit the fan" Boy did I get the whut-fers from Mom and a whuppin from Dad. Thinking back I believe I had it coming that time. But it sure was funny at the time.

4. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if its the same thing. It might along the same lines though.

I've learned not to say "I don't think things could get any wrose." or "What else could possibly happen?" when everything is going bad. Everytime I say that, it seems that something else does go wrong or something else happens when I least expect it.