1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Word Of God In English ...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    128 : "Every possible nuance of meaning that resides in the words of the original must be carried over into the words of a translation."

That's an impossible task. Translation has been described as determing the correct sacrifice to make. "Every possible nuance" is not in the least realistic. A translator can aspire to transfer as much as lies within his power, but someting is bound to be lost in the transfer. A functional equivalent might get some nuances that a more formal one can't quite carry over -- and vice-versa.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    275 : "Jesus' resolve to go to Jerusalem to face his passion and execution is memorably captured in Luke's formulation,'His face was set toward Jerusalem' (ESV). The sense of resolve is lost in translation that tell us simply that Jesus 'was heading for Jerusalem' (NIV).

However, LR wasn't being honest here. The NIV and TNIV both have :"Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem." The sense of resolve is certainly present!

Mr. Ryken is scoring negative points with his faulty observations.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Could he be referring to Lk 9:53? "but the people there did not welcome him, because he was heading for Jerusalem." (NIV '84, NIV '10, TNIV)?

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He didn't specify,perhaps.But verse 51 in the NIV's should have satisfied him.

NASB :But they did not receive Him, because He was traveling toward Jerusalem.

ASV : And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he were going to Jerusalem.

GW : But the people didn't welcome him, because he was on his way to Jerusalem.

Weymouth : But the people there would not receive Him, because He was eviently going to Jerusalem.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    53 : The NRSV "is not the genuine heir to the RSV, being instead a dynamic equivalent translation... In terms of translation philosophy and literary excellence, the true heir to the RSV is the English Standard Version."

Surprise,surprise! But hey, if the NRSV is so radically different from the ESV --why does it match up with it so often? Perhaps LR envies the literary excellence and stylistic flair of the essentially literal NRSV! It outshines the ESV. There was more care and preparation evidenced in its text than the text of the hastily stitched-together ESV.

6. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

:applause:

...Bob

7. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

NIV 1984:
    As the time approached for him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem. And he sent messengers on ahead, who went into a Samaritan village to get things ready for him; but the people there did not welcome him, because he was heading for Jerusalem. When the disciples James and John saw this, they asked, “Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them?” But Jesus turned and rebuked them, and they went to another village. (Luke 9:51-56)

NRSV:
    When the days drew near for him to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem. And he sent messengers ahead of him. On their way they entered a village of the Samaritans to make ready for him; but they did not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem. When his disciples James and John saw it, they said, “Lord, do you want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them?” But he turned and rebuked them. Then they went on to another village. (Luke 9:51-56)

ESV:
    When the days drew near for him to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem. And he sent messengers ahead of him, who went and entered a village of the Samaritans, to make preparations for him. But the people did not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem. And when his disciples James and John saw it, they said, "Lord, do you want us to tell fire to come down from heaven and consume them?" But he turned and rebuked them. And they went on to another village. (Luke 9:51-56)

KJB:
    And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem,
    And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him.
    And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem.
    And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?
    But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.
    For the Son of man is not come to destroy mens lives, but to save them. And they went to another village. (Luke 9:51-56)

...Bob

#27 BobinKy, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010
  8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Personally, I'm not yet sold that the NRSV outshines the ESV (the two are just way too much like the old RSV). But you're right on the length of time spent on the two revisions. If I'm not mistaken, the NRSV took 7 or 8 years. The ESV took maybe 2-3, tops. Mounce defended this length of time saying that the heavy lifting was done with the NRSV and the email technology available to the ESV folks not available to the NRSV people accounted for the swiftness of the translation. He may have a point in that the HCSB didn't take long. But still, the ESV would be improved with a once-over, making a good translation better. Then, to borrow from Rick Mansfield's words, the ESV would grow on you even more :)

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    231 :Mr. Ryken speaks quite ironically when he relates :"I enjoy reading the NEB and REB for a quality that I relish ...namely the sheer quaintness of its expressions. But in terms of understanding what the biblical text really says,this is a great distraction that undermines the clarity of the translation..."

Well, I don't relish the ESV for the quaintness of its expressions. But the ESV does employ an abundance of them in the text. And it is indeed a great distraction which undermines the clarity of the translation.

Remember he had said on the very same page :"Clarity is closely tied to the evolution of the English language,which is changing at a more rapid rate in our day than ever before."

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wasn't aware of that Mounce quote. I thought the ESV was based on the 1971 RSV -- not the NRSV.

A "once-over" implies a rush job. The ESV team certainly needs to take their time in the next go-round.

If it starts to grow on me I'll have it excised. ;)

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Of course you would :smilewinkgrin:

12. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

What I have placed in red hi-lite is a concept I think should be explored further. If you don't mind, I want to start a new thread on this concept. I think I will call it -- Does Language Have The Ability To Express Faith?

...Bob

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    184 : "...it is appropriate for a Bible translation to have a slightly archaic feel to it in situations where there are good reasons to retain old fashioned or quaint language."

The above sentiment must have been his guiding literary principle in his retention of so much RSV-speak.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    165 : Psalm 16:6
    ESV : "...the lines have fallen for me in pleasant places."

NIV,TNIV,HSSB,NRSV,MLB (Marg) :"The boundary lines have fallen for me in places."

LR :"...increasing movement away from the original text."

In the NET notes Heb. :measuring lines have fallen for me in pleasant [places];yes,property [or 'inheritance]is beautiful for me.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    185 : "...the constant process of revision among existing translations,has brought a skepticism that any translation is worthy of trust."

Wow! He is not in favor of updates. He thinks translations should be left as they are. But LR's thinking is faulty. The ESV is a slight revision of the RSV,which was an update of the ASV,which was a revision of the ERV,which was a revsion of the KJV ---etc. etc.

All Bible translations need to be updated -- use more contemporary language, and take advantage of new discoveries and knowledge.

His skepticism is probably shared by only folks with a KJVO mentality.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    141 : He says that images and figures of speech should stand in their original form.

Is that so? The ESV revisers saw fit to adjust metaphors on a number of occasions.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    128 :"I can imagine dynamic equivalent translators saying that they do not think of themselves as tampering with the text."

You can imagine, can you,LR? You have the NIV/TNIV and NLT in your sights.

The kind of tampering that goes on is with heretical versions such as the NWT.

Leave your warped opinion about translators of dynamic translations out of the discussion,when it comes to charging them with tampering with the text. That kind of remark has no place in the discussion. It's shameful.

135: "I can imagine dynamic equivalent translators saying that they accept the doctrine of verbal and plenary inspiration."

There you go on flights of fancy again. Translators of dynamic equivalent translations do indeed believe in verbal and plenary inspiration.

This whole line of attack is disgraceful.The translators of the NIV/TNIV and NLT have written articles on the subject -- they are conservative Bible believing scholars.

You disgrace yourself with lowly tactics.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    214 : Here he speaks of modern ntranslations in the KJV tradition :NASB,RSV,NKJV,and ESV. He says :"They have used ordinary,standard English language and style..."

Huh?! There are sections in the NT where the ESV uses more current language -- but most of that translation uses anything but ordinary,standard English. The NASB is awkward at times but comes out a bit better than does the ESV. The RSV even claims not to use modern English in its preface. The NKJV uses clunky,archaic language that is just a little more improved than the KJV.

LR, for all his expertise in literature, gets failing marks in judging contemporary language in the above translations.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    195 : Here he takes dynamic translations to task.

"...a reader has no way of knowing where a translation committee's interpretation has entered the English text..."

Well the same applies to the ESV. There are no indications many times except for footnotes occasionally. A more litertal and a more dynamic rendering may lie side-by-side in the same passage.

What's good for the goose,is also good for the gander.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    14 :"The current hegemony flowed from two landmark translations based on dynamic equivalent principles. Thery were The Living Bible,a paraphrase published in 1971,and the New International Version (NIV),published in 1978."

Wow! So much misinformation! LR already acknowledged that the old Living Bible was a paraphrase. It is not in the category of dynamic equivalence. And the NIV is not in the category of dynamic equivalence either -- for different reasons. It's a mediating version --a bridge between the more formal and the more functionally equivalent. It is certainly not based on the principles of dynamic equivalence. The old 84 NIV is much closer to the NASB --then to the old Living Bible! LR is being careless in his writing.

16 : He says :"...there was no genuine alternative to the Living Bible and the NIV until the publication of the English Standard Version (ESV) in 2001."

He thinks ultra-highly of the ESV,doesn't he? No other options? How about the MLB,The REB, The NKJ,the NASB,the NRSV etc. L.Ryken is really in error here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.