1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Word of God who draws to Himself

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben Elohim, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

First things first:

Let's first understand the word "draw." This is a translation of the Greek word helkuo which means "to pull" or "to draw." Here are some uses of the verb "to draw" (helkuo) from the Greek translation of the Bible finished before the birth of Jesus.

* "Over many years you did draw them, and did warn them by your Spirit through your prophets; yet they would not give ear. Therefore you did give them into the hand of the peoples of the lands." (Nehemiah 9:30 LXX).

* "O that you would kiss me with the kisses of your mouth! For your love is better than wine, your anointing oils are fragrant, your name is oil poured out; therefore the maidens love you. Draw me after you, let us make haste. The king has brought me into his chambers. We will exult and rejoice in you; we will extol your love more than wine; rightly do they love you" (Song of Solomon LXX).

* "From long ago, the Lord appeared to me, "I have loved you with an eternal love, therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn you" (Jeremiah 31:3 LXX).

* "And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all to myself" (John 12:32).

* "Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's slave and cut off his right ear" (John 18:10).

* "He said to them, 'Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.' So they cast it, and now they were not able to draw it in, for the quantity of fish....So Simon Peter went aboard and drewhauled the net ashore" (John 21:6,11).

* "But when her owners saw that their hope of gain was gone, they seized Paul and Silas and drew them into the market place before the rulers" (Acts 16:19).

* "Then all the city was aroused, and the people ran together; they seized Paul and drew him out of the temple, and at once the gates were shut" (Acts 21:30).

* "But you have dishonored the poor man. Is it not the rich who oppress you, is it not they who draw you into court? (James 2:6).

It is patently plain that some would load this word with ideas that the word itself does not contain.

Let's look at this passage carefully:

No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day. It is written in the prophets, `AND THEY SHALL ALL BE TAUGHT OF GOD.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me.

Now how shall they be taughty by God the Father?

Jesus was the Word of God and he says in this gospel that his teaching was not his own but the Father's teaching.

My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me; if any man's will is to do his will, he shall know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority. He who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but he who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood. (7:16-18).

I [the Word] know him, for I [the Word] come from him, and he sent me [the Word]. (7:29).

Jesus said, "When you have lifted up the Son of man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing from myself but as my Father teaches me I speak. (8:28).

For I do not speak out of myself. The Father who sent me has himself given me commandment what to say and what to speak. (12:49).

Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak from myself but the Father who abides in me does his works. (14:10).

I have given them the words which you gave me, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from you and they have believed that you have sent me.(17:8).

[YAHWEH]: I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brethren, and I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him. (Deuteronomy 18:18)

Moses said, "The Lord God [YAHWEH] will raise up for you a prophet from your brethren as he raised me up. You shall listen to him in whatever he tells you. (Acts 7:22 RSV).

Everyone who LISTENS and LEARNS from the Father. Good was speaking to them through Jesus, the Word of God. They did not LISTEN and LEARN. They refused to listen to JESUS the WORD of God.

No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day. It is written in the prophets, `AND THEY SHALL ALL BE TAUGHT OF GOD.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me.

They had heard from the Father himself but would not listen and obey his Word. They had not learned from the Father. They refused to believe Jesus God's Word.

You do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent. 39 " You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; 40 and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life. 41 "I do not receive glory from men; 42 but I know you, that you do not have the love of God in yourselves. 43 "I have come in My Father's name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, you will receive him. 44 "How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God? 45 "Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father; the one who accuses you is Moses, in whom you have set your hope. 46 "For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me. 47 "But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?"

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! Less than 2 days on the board, and already nearly 50 posts?

You do have other interests in life don't you?

I have no problem with it though, just thought it was a bit unusual.

Is it possible that you are a member (or former member) just re-registering under a new name?

Whatever floats your boat.

No reply required, just an old man's curosity!