1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Young Man of Mark 14:51

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by PreachTony, Jan 29, 2015.

1. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Mark's Gospel records the events of the Garden and the arrest of Jesus slightly differently than the other gospel writers. He includes an episode that no other writer considers.

Starting in verse 51, after the disciples had fled from Jesus, we see a "certain young man" following after the arresting party and the Lord. He is described as wearing a "linen cloth" over his naked body. The soldiers try to apprehend the young man, but he basically spins free, out of the garment, and runs off naked.

Personally, for as many times as I've read through the gospel accounts of the arrest, I had never really deeply paid attention to this scripture until last night.

I've found commentaries that say the young man might have been the rich young man who Jesus instructed to sell all his goods. Others say that it was Lazarus, who Jesus raised from the dead, but Lazarus is never really described as a "young man." Then again, the priests had taken steps to capture and kill Lazarus, as well (John 12:10). Other commentaries say it was actually Mark himself.

I'm curious what you guys think. (Please keep it civil... :smilewinkgrin:)

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's what David Guzik says....

3. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers states this:

4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I believe it was Mark. Seemingly this event made a bigger impression on Mark than it did the other gospel writers because he is the only one who reported it. At the same time it would have been embarrassing to him, so he gave no name to the young man.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The use of the phrase "a certain ..." indicates the author views this character to play an important part of the narrative. Linen, rather than wool indicates the young man came from a wealthy family, so John Mark's family might have had linen wraps. The account draws attention to the fact that everyone departed Jesus, I believe too that the youth was John Mark, but that is presumption.

6. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It could be Mark. Mark could have written in such a way as to not identify himself by name. John used a similar technique when he identified himself "as the disciple whom Jesus loved".