1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Theodicy

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't get too sidetracked with the figures of speech. Adam was corrupted.

Yeast is just an example of how a little thing in one part affects the whole. Do not be deceived. Evil communications corrupt good manners. Keep an unrepentant individual in your fellowship, and your manners will be corrupted.

2. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Although you are not entirely thorough and consistent in it, I notice your continual modification of Skan's BB handle. This is petty behavior.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really. Skandelon is a title of Christ, the Petra Skandalon, the Rock of Offence, and I object to his usurpation of it. He won't tell me his real name, else I would use it.

4. humblethinker

Your information regarding 'Skandelon' provided nothing that I did not already know. His use of it as a moniker is in homage to and not a usurpation of. You have been informed of his intent as such.

While I think it's petty, Skan doesn't seem to take offense, so I'll just consider the source of the slight and move on.

5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Not true. There are many who deny the logical possibility of even God having contra-causual freewill. And we are a unique image bearer of God, so there is no "higher" level of appeal to mystery, only the willingness to accept certain concepts over others.

Why not accept the same principle when speaking of accountable moral choices of man for which we are held responsible? (response-able)

You clearly haven't read all the studies of psychology, philosophy, and all aspects of human behavior out there with endless theories explaining different aspect of man's will. And no, I'm not just talking about the non-Christian material, there is countless theories and speculations regarding these matters. It would appear to me that you are the one closing your eyes to these facts while pretending there are no mysteries left unsolved in this regard.

Even some Calvinists affirm this point. They say things like, "We have the power just not the willingness," which really affords the same arguments against it, but nevertheless it shows that they at least acknowledge this basic principle of culpability.

And you need to understand the context of the quote was Paul addressing disobedient Jews who were being judicially hardened or sealed in their already rebellious condition so as to allow for the ingrafting of the Gentiles. He was not talking about God hardening all people from birth due to the fall into a hopeless condition, while choosing to effectually save a select few.

See what? You completely turn what I've said on it's ear and put words in my mouth again?

When did I equate God's way with Adams? I simply said we are created in His image, as scripture says. Are you saying God isn't powerful enough to create a free moral creature? Are all God's creatures really just like the animals and act according to instinct?

Instinct = An innate, typically fixed pattern of behavior in animals in response to certain stimuli

How is that much different than the Calvinist's view of man's will?

6. Skandelon

You should see his reaction when someone introduces him to a guy named Emmanuel, or an Hispanic named Jesus. He goes NUTS! :laugh:

7. humblethinker

8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

In reality, it is just an immature way of attempting to yank your chain.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Psalms and Proverbs pretty much open a man up. You go ahead and read the psychologists.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You're done because you're whipped.

This thread is about theodicy. No where have I strayed from that OP.

Everyone can peruse this and see it for themselves.

So you're baloney about me being "off topic" is plainly false.

Your whole, and I mean ENTIRE, soteriological position rest FULLY upon your ability to back Calvinists up to the beginning of time and force them to explain the origin of evil without them indicting God as the direct cause for it.

I have explained it in CLASSICAL Christian terms- evil as privation.

And you are thoroughly stumped and too proud to admit it.

You want evil to come solely from the creature with no Remote Ultimate cause at all and you think this is necessary if God is to be holy. This is the only way you can justify this all important notion of yours called-libertarian free will. You thought that that position alone exonerates God from being the author of evil. That hope is the only reason this ridiculous notion of libertarian free will even exists.

Augustine's theodicy, which I have been employing, answers this silly notion and destroys your whole soteriological standpoint.

You are frustrated because you are beaten. That is where this threat to ignore me comes from.

And as for this absolute bull about you "trying to quote some [anonymous] Calvinistic posters" from some other mysterious board- this was a desperate attempt to get leverage.

It is PLAINLY desperate because NONE of them are authorities on any of these matters and you act as if they should have anything at all to add to this conversation.

That would be like me going to some Arminian board and pulling up some anonymous Arminians who argue that evil IS privation.

What POSSIBLE good could come of that.

It is silly at best.

You are whipped and you are frustrated and that's where this childish threat to ignore me comes from.

Calvinism represents the teachings of the Word of God.

You can no longer contend otherwise in this thread and against me- so you're done.

#111 Luke2427, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2011
  12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

deleted............

#112 Luke2427, Aug 26, 2011
  13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Exactly.

Skan doesn't see it yet, but you cannot account for the the origin of evil without calling it a deficiency- a privation.

Evil is what God is NOT.

NOT is privation. If I am NOT healthy I have a deficiency of health. NOT is privation or as Skandelon rightly put it a "deficiency".

Evil is the privation of the goodness of God.

Augustine, the greatest theological mind in history, argued this very thing. Evil as privation.

Evil is the absence of good.

Any INTENT that arises in a scenario where good is "deficient", as Skandelon himself recognizes, will be evil.

Endued fully with the goodness of God we cannot sin.

Sin is only possible when there is, as Skan put it, a DEFICIENCY of good.

This word "deficiency" that Skandelon employs proves that he cannot argue against the idea of evil as privation.

Aristotle noticed this fact even before Augustine. This should be no problem, for all truth is God's truth. Facts are facts and what God allows and enables man to discover is perfectly discoverable. Bad philosophy ought to be condemned but good philosophy is useful.

Here is part of an article I found that deals rightly in this quote with the Augustinian theodicy:

This accurately represents Augustine's theodicy (though it is too breif to encapsulate it). Man was created with free will (not libertarian free will mind you) and because there was a deficiency [as Skandelon put it] of good in them they were able with that free will to sin. Sin is the act that evil which is a deficiency of good causes. Ever since man has been in bondage to sin.

Evil exists.

Either God is not all powerful and cannot do anything about it though he would if he could...

OR...

God is all powerful and evil himself because he could stop it but allows it...

OR...

God is all powerful and perfectly good but good is not defined by human suffering or the lack thereof but rather by that which ultimately brings God the most glory.

The last statement is the biblical teaching.
    Suffering of sinners brings God glory (vindicates his holiness).
    Salvation of sinners brings God glory (magnifies his love).

Arminians believe the first statement. They state it this way "God RESTRICTS his omnipotence and Sovereignty by man's free will." This is philosophical madness. God cannot be all powerful and restrict his power at the same time. Restricted power is LIMITED power. Omnipotence is by definition the dead level OPPOSITE. It is UNLIMITED power.
    And God can be completely Sovereign over all things and events- the biggest and smallest of them and all of them in between- and restrict that sovereignty at the same time.

Neither can God do evil or tempt man to do evil.

So who authored evil?

Skandelon says man did and offers NO explanation as to how.

Some determinists argue that God did and if you don't like it- TOO BAD!

But the RIGHT answer is NOBODY.

Only things that are THINGS have authors.

Darkness does not have an author.

Nobody made it in a lab and God did not create it. Why? Because darkness is nothing but privation.

It is just a word we use to describe a void of light.

And so is evil.

EVIL HAS NO DIRECT AUTHOR BECAUSE EVIL IS NOTHING BUT PRIVATION OF GOOD.

We say of things that they are good or not good.

Evil is simply the latter.

#113 Luke2427, Aug 26, 2011
  14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The analogies are not my own but come from some of the greatest theological and philosophical minds that have ever lived and these analogies have been used for nearly two thousand years to express a Christian theodicy.

To say that my analogies which are actually the analogies of men of the caliber of Augustine muddy up anything in a discussion on theodicy is to be terribly mistaken.

Evil is privation.

15. Skandelon

For those following along I address Augustine's views HERE>>>

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scan, just answer the question. In what quality are those who reject Christ deficient?

17. Skandelon

Faith...humility....

They choose not to believe what has clearly been revealed. In pride, they "trade the truth in for a lie" and "they perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved."

I can anticipate your response. I expect you to ask where faith and humility come from...and I will tell you AGAIN they are given by God, but not through irresistible means; and you will once again tell me that issue is a "peripheral matter," and then dismiss it. :sleep:

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So a deficiency in the fruits of the Spirit results in one's rejection of the Holy Spirit? How does another receive Him? Are you saying that some have the fruits of the Spirit by nature so they can receive Him when He's offered?

19. humblethinker

love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control

Are you saying that an unregenerate mother cannot have any of these qualities?

20. Skandelon

A deficiency in the fruits of the Spirit? Where did you get that?

Faith comes through hearing. And humility is often the result of trail and error and the circumstances...i.e. eating from a pig trough can do wonders to one's pride.

No. I am saying God provides what is needed for men to respond in faith, but not by effectual/irresistible means.

What you need to realize is that the drive to explain a truly free choice in the manner you are (i.e. "what determined someone to choose him?") is really just a game of question begging because it assumes that a deterministic explaination is required. Ciocchi, who debated Feinberg, put it this way: "the choice between available options "is what free will is all about . . ., and it is finally mysterious, beyond full explanation, for full explanations presuppose the very determinism the libertarian rejects..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.