1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Theodosius, the Trinity and the Pope

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Ben Elohim, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do we know?

The fact that thousands, yea, millions have died for the preservation of the Word of God ought to tell us something--Satan has been actively trying to divide and confuse with spurious writings which purport to be The Word of God.

We are easily swayed by what is called "error of halo", which is giving credence to the writings of men on the same level as the writings of God.

The "infallibility" of scripture has been usurped by some who give "infallibility" to the papal office--ex officio of course--how does one know?

There is only one standard--The Word of God.

"Let God be found true, and every man a liar"

Selah,

Bro. James

2. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

And thankfully the Church, led by the Holy Spirit, has made the decisions in letters, councils, and decrees which have finally fixed the boundaries of the canon.
    (Selah...don't read my next comment until you're finished "selah"ing)

Scriptures are written by men, are they not? God didn't miraculuous inscribe His Word on golden tablets and let in drop out of the sky, leatherbound, with chapter and verse markings.

(Selah...I mean, really selah this time)

And the Word of God is ultimately Christ Himself.

Indeed

(Selah)

3. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scriptures written by men--

Is not what the scripture says. "The scripture came not in times past by the will of man, but holy men of God spake as they were moved by The Holy Spirit." That is an exclusive group--of which not every one with a "holy sounding" writing belongs.

The Pauline Letters to New Testament Churches are good examples of inspired writings which are aimed at exposing false teachings which plagued the early Churches--see I and II Corinthians. These reproofs, rebukes and exortations apply to us in A.D 2005.

Many of us could probably write "holy" sounding letters--even books. Does that make them from God? Check out Joseph Smith Jr. and his "revelation". There are millions of people who follow him.

Who was the first to espouse salvation by works? Some would say Cain. That teaching(salvation by works) is still prevailing in many "Christian" circles.

Selah,

Bro. James

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, but how do you KNOW what the Scriptures are? How do you know that the Gospel of John is canonical but the Gospel of Thomas is not?

Yours in Christ

Matt

5. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do I know?

The same way I know my name and birthdate. My mother told me. She had it written and witnessed on a certificate. If anyone produces a conflicting document, I will probably believe my mother--she was there. I also have written evidence of who my father is--my Mom is the only one who knows that for sure too.

Selah,

Bro. James

6. Doubting Thomas

So you believe in tradition then. [​IMG]

7. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tradition? No, this is about certified eyewitness accounts that are verifiable.

Contrary to popular opinion, scripture is not a mystical collection of fables, fantasy and fairytales. There is a cohesiveness and corroboration of eyewitnesses which is nothing less than divinely guided. Man did not write these things--on his own. God revealed certain things to certain people--everything harmonizes.

The only disharmony arises when Man tries to fit the Word of God into the paradigm of his own depravity. We scratch around on this planet, the moon, Mars etc., trying to find out where we came from--even though God tells us quite plainly. We think somehow we evolved--the churches too. That is faulty logic folks--right out of the pit.

What is traditional about believing the account of several eyewitnesses? I believe we went to the moon--I did not go there personally--I believe the accounts given by those who say they went there. Some people think the trips to the moon originated at MGM--Burbank, Ca.

Need to re-read this, but do not have time.

Selah,

Bro. James

8. Matt Black

Site Supporter

And how did your mother know what was in the Canon of Scripture and what wasn't? And her mother, and her mother, etc - you get the point of the question, I hope?

Yours in Christ

Matt

9. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I knew better than to use my Mom in an analogy of scripture canonicity. Sorry "Mum".

The point is: those who are eyewitnesses are more likely to know all the facts than someone who was not there having second-third hand information which may be fact and/or fiction.(Religious writers from the second century until today)

In a court of law if a witness' testimony can be faulted in one point, none of the testimony can be accepted. The same litmus test can be applied to the Word of God and the writings of men. Only the Word of God survives.

The "canonization" of scripture is a bit of a "smoke screen" on the part of those who have a problem with the infallibility of scripture--an attribute which is often applied to a select group of "vicars of Rome".

God gave his Word to His elect--the OT went to Israel, to keep and pass on--which they did. The NT was given to the New Testament Churches to keep and pass on--which they have done even unto today. The Word has been preserved by the power of God--not by the power of man. We now have the complete written revelation--Genesis to Revelation. This is really an abundance--too much for us to handle-- really. We have difficulty with Gen. 1:1, "In the beginning God..."; and Rev. 22:20, "He which tetifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus".

The preservation of The Word of God has taken place in spite of the ecclesiastical gyrations of Constantinople and Rome--also Nauvoo, Il.

Selah,

Bro James

10. Matt Black

Site Supporter

How? You still haven't answered my question

Yours in Christ

Matt

11. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Sanctify them in Thy Truth, Thy Word is Truth",
    Jesus to The Father on behalf of His sheep, circa A.D. 33.

Selah,

Bro. James

12. Matt Black

Site Supporter

What has this got to do with my question as to how you know what is Scripture and what isn't?

Yours in Christ

Matt

13. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do I know?

The same way I know that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of The Living God--God gave me the faith to believe--it was nothing that came from my depraved nature.

Some people are called out peacefully, others have to be knocked down and blinded to get their attention(Saul of Tarsus). In any case, it is God who does the calling, enabling, teaching and anything else related to Truth.

God did not just "post" His Word in the town square. He entrusted His revelation to His elect--His assembly. They still have that charge.

It is there, Bro. we are behooved to find out what He said--He meant every Word--whether we believe it or not.

Selah,

Bro. James

14. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Ah, so what constitutes Scripture is a matter for your own private subjective opinion, then. Thanks for clarifying that!

Yours in Christ

Matt

15. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Objection: leading the witness.

The Infallible Word of God, preserved by the Holy Spirit of God, in the "pillar and ground of the Truth, is not a "subjective" position.

Selah,

Bro. James

16. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Ah, but I didn't ask you how you interpret Scripture (although that's an interesting one too - eg: what is the "pillar and ground of the Truth"?) but how you know which writings are Scripture and which aren't . You have answered that question, "God gave me (italics mine) the faith to believe". How is that not subjective?

Yours in Christ

Matt

17. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Jesus reveal the Truth to His disciples at rabbinical school? Many disciples were fishermen--probably not even literate. You won't find the real Jesus in the "hallowed halls of academia"--nothing wrong is getting educated in Truth. See John 3:4 plus context.

There has not been one original manuscript of the New Testament found so far, yet millions have believed what the copies say--some would call that "subjective". Do not look for an "empirical" answer from me, brother--Jesus is completely contrary to the wisdom of men--so is the Word of God from whence He is revealed.

Selah,

Bro. James

18. Doubting Thomas

Matt,
    He's clearly avoiding answering the question.

19. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Agreed. I see little point in pursuing this fruitless dialogue of the deaf

Yours in Christ

Matt

20. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bless you. Thank-you, I was blessed by our encounter. Sorry, you are hurting, Matthew--been there, done that. Jesus brought me out of the miry clay.

Bro. James, the "deaf but not mute" disciple.