1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Theological Question Regarding Government

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by StefanM, Mar 6, 2008.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

So, if a man gets married, having a job that pays $15 an hour and then loses that job and if only able to find work paying $7 or $8 an hour, it would appear you think they should divorce. :laugh:

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Where some of us are concerned is the trade off: affordable health care for everyone (sure, big positive)...traded for:
    • Lower quality of service (see Walter Reed Hosptital (veterans), your local DMV office, FEMA, and other government "help programs.")
    • Medical professionals who are currently in business for themselves essentially become governmenet employees.
    • Government control can be exerted over every area of one's life, because....well, "they" pay for your healthcare. (See..ban on potato chips, trans fat ban, etc.)
    • I admit our system isn't working well...when a suit from an insurance company gets to determine what care is given.
      • However, this beats a suit from the US Government making that same decision.
    • I can't think of an industry (other than law enforcement & defense) in which a government monopoly does the job better than private industry. The telephone industry comes to mind. Lots of other examples come to mind. Why would healthcare suddenly be an exception?
    Does our system need fixing? Yep. But I liken a government healthcare proposal to the following:

I take a car in to the mechanic, with transmission trouble. We both agree--the transmission's needs work. So, as a solution, he replaces my transmission with another one...but also removes the engine and puts in two squirrels and a conveyer belt.

Sure, it's a change. And the novelty of it might even intrigue me for a while...but eventually, I'll discover that now, I've traded one major problem for an even more problematic one. Change is seldom worth doing, unless it is an improvement.

3. targus

targus New Member

No that is not what I said or believe.

In the case that you describe perhaps a second job would be helpful.

I work a job in the financial industry whereby I am paid for my production - not hourly. As a result I can work over 40 hours a week without the benefit of overtime. Rather than telling myself that it is unfair, I choose to bring work home and often work well into the night and weekends.

Rather than looking for someone else like the government to pay for my insurance - because my employer doesn't provide it - I have just decided to work harder.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pity that the masses of Obama worshipers (well, liberals of all stripes - D and R) don't grasp such a basic & obvious point!