1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

There are 3 very distinct levels of eternal life verses

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by evangelist-7, Aug 30, 2013.

1. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Level 1 -- Only Believe … example:
    “… whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:15)

Level 2 -- Deeper Details … example:
    “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
    And I give them eternal life“ (John 10:27-28)

Level 3 -- Warnings & Threats … example:
    “… if you want to enter into (eternal) life, keep the commandments.” (Matt 19:17)

Incredible … the progression of difficulty in gaining eternal life as seen in the 3 levels!

Here are my current favorite baker’s dozen of Level 3 passages
    and ALL of these warnings & threats, of course, apply to everyone!

Matt 19:16-17 (Mark 10:17, Luke 10:25) • “… what good thing shall I do that I may
    have eternal life? … if you want to enter into (eternal) life, keep the commandments.”

Mark 9:43-48 (Matt 5:29-30, Matt 18:8-9) • “… And if your eye causes you to sin,
    pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye,
    rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire”
    So is entering the kingdom of God the opposite of being cast into hell fire?

Mark 11:25-26 (Matt 6:14-15, Matt 18:21-35) • “… if you have anything against anyone,
    forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses.
    But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses.”

John 12:25 • “He who loves his life (of sin) will lose it (eternal life),
    and he who hates his life (of sin) in this world will keep it (his life) for eternal life.”
    Much longer versions of this teaching are in Mark 8:34-36, Matt 16:24-26, Luke 9:23-25.

Rom 5:21 • “grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ”
    Grace continues to reign in the one who practices righteousness …
    see 1 John 2:29, 1 John 3:7, Acts 10:35, and the next verse below.

Rom 6:16-23 • “Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey,
    you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether (slaves) of sin leading to (eternal) death,
    OR (slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness? … so now present your members
    as slaves of righteousness for holiness … For the wages of sin is (eternal) death …”

Rom 8:13-14 • “For if you live according to the flesh you will die (spiritually);
    but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live (spiritually).
    For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.”

Gal 6:7-8 • “Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will
    also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption (eternal death),
    but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. And let us not grow
    weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.”
    One reaps eternal death or everlasting life, depending on how he sows.

Col 1:22-23 • “… to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight
    — if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away
    from the hope of the gospel which you heard”
    Many passages say -- he who endures (with his faith) to the end (of his life) will be saved:
    Matt 10:22, Matt 24:13, Mark 13:13, Col 1:22-23, 1 Tim 4:16, Heb 3:6-15,10:35-39, Rev 2:10.

Heb 12:14-17 • “Pursue … holiness, without which no one will see the Lord:
    looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God”

James 1:12-15 • “Blessed is the man who endures temptation;
    for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life, which the Lord has
    promised to those who love Him … But each one is tempted when he is drawn away
    by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin;
    and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth (eternal) death.”
    So, receiving eternal death is opposite to receiving the crown of life (eternal life).

1 John 1:7-9 • “But if we walk in the light as He is in the light … the blood of Jesus Christ
    His Son cleanses us from all sin. … If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just
    to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
    We are unrighteous because we sin … but this can be cleansed by the blood of Jesus!

Rev 21:7-8 • “He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God
    and he shall be My son. But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers,
    sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the
    lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”
    Part of overcoming is to not have any habitual sins.
    “NO murderer has eternal life abiding in him.” (1 John 3:15) … and ditto for all sins!

If one wishes to make sense of the entire NT, one has to realize that “believe” means:
    to have faith, to trust, to follow, and to obey … and to continue with this until death!
    How you start a game is not nearly important as how you finish.

“For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.” (Romans 8:14)

THE KEY … Those who follow the Spirit will heed God’s warnings and threats!

2. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

[​IMG]I can’t seem to figure out whether to laugh or cry ... @ the lack of response!
    .........................And I also can't figure out how to do both @ the same time!

3. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Your position is so absurd it would be a waste of time and effort to even respond to it. However, you are correct about one thing and that is there are three different eternal life's taught in scripture because salvation is provided for the whole person who has a three-fold nature - spirit, soul and body.

This threefold being with a threefold salvation is found in three tenses (1) Past completed action -Aorist tense "saved"; (2) present tense progressive tense "being saved"; and (3) future tense "shall be saved".

It is also presented in three major theological divisions (1) regeneration; (2) progressive sanctification; (3) glorification

Each tense, each theological division applies to each aspect of human nature:
    (1) Regneration of the human spirit - Jn. 3:6; (2) Progressive salvation of the human soul/life - Mt. 10:39-40; 1 Cor. 3:12-15; (3) future tense salvaiton of the body - 1 Cor 15:51-57.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Bible teaches that God justifies sinners on the basis of the Cross/death of Christ, and that once justified, then we are into sauctification, while he wants us to be in the process of sauctification first, sinless perfection achieved, then justification!

Basically, same postion as held by catholics, SDA etc, as we need to merit gettting saved by our behaviour and works before God can save us!