1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured There is no condemnation to them in Christ Jesus !

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by savedbymercy, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You asked me this.

I then responded again and you stated this.

I then responded again and you said this.

I am trying to debate you but it appears to me you don't want an debate? Is this correct, sir?

#21 SovereignGrace, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2015
  2. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, let me ask you a question.

Were you born saved? Were God's sheep born saved?

3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

You have not done that! Tell me what I stated and how I stated it, the points I made from scriptures to come up with my conclusions ! You are ignoring that!

4. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a debate, I make counterpoints to your argument. You then counter my points made and we debate them in a Godly manner.

You stated that God's elect were never under condemnation and used Ro. 8:1 for your support.

I then used Ez. 34 and Ephesians 2:2 as counterpoints to your OP. Now it's your turn to show me how/if I have misapplied those verses of scripture.

Where have I erred in using Ez. 34 and Ephesians 2:2?

5. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

You have not proved that you understand my points ! Explain my argument the way I argued it! That's my whole point!

6. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

sovgr

And I argued why, which you failed to mention !

7. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a debate, it is not my job to prove your points, but to show you where I think you are wrong. You then counter with why I am wrong.

But I shall leave it there.

I will leave it to the readers to decide.

8. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I have thought about the love of God toward his elect many times and I am swept away with love for Him who could love a sinner like me. God does not change, if he loves me now then he has always loved me. Time means nothing to God whether in the present or past eternity God is still the same. In the mind of God, Christ was the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, Rev 13:8. In the mind of God the elect were in Christ before they were ever conceived, Psa 89:3-4 I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant. Thy seed will I establish for ever and build up thy throne to all generations. Selah. Also Psa 89:28-36. This is our vital union with the Three in One. There are many scriptures that prove we were in Christ at his death, burial and resurrection and we are setting together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus. Eph 2:5-6.

9. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

We tried to warn you, bud. SBM has his own little world and the only way we're allowed in is if we repeat his points and argue what he wrote the same way he argued it. He doesn't want debate. He just wants to write his own theological books on this board.

10. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

Brother SovereignGrace,

The doctrine of Eternal Vital Union does not teach the elect were never lost. In Adam, even the elect were children of wrath even as others. They were corrupted in sin, sank down in depravity and death and ruin, in the first Adam; from which they are redeemed, washed, cleansed and made pure by the blood and righteousness of the second Adam (Christ). But their life in Christ Jesus, which is hid with him in God before the world began, was never corrupted, for the scriptures affirm that it is incorruptible.

Now as to if the elect existed in seed form before the world began in Christ, Paul makes this abundantly clear by stating "...according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began (2 Timothy 1:9b)

God bless,

Brother Joe

11. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

bj

Right, and I never said they were, he just went off on a tagent !

Yes, but they were never condemned to eternal punishment, because of that secret life they had hid in Christ !

Thats why Rom 8:1 is and was true of them, their condemnation they incurred, the eternal death penalty of it, remember the word katakrima means:

I.damnatory sentence, condemnation

"the sentence pronounced, the condemnation" with a suggestion of the punishment following;

That was charged to Christ, not them !

12. BrotherJoseph

Brother SavedByMercy,

Yes, I agree with you, the elect in Christ's seed were never subject to eternal condemnation as scripture teaches that this seed is and always has been incorruptible. "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible," (1 Peter 1:23A)

13. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

You don't have to prove my points, i did that, you have evaded them! I explained why I believe from scriptures that the Elect were not ever condemned and you didn't review that back !So you evaded it! As long as you evade my points made you are not debating what points I made!

14. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Do you believe that the Elect came under Gods condemnation personally in Adam ? Rom 5:18

18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Was that condemnation charged to them by God ?

15. BrotherJoseph

Hi Brother Savedbymercy,

The word "condemnation" in Romans 5:18 is the Greek word "katakrima" and according to Strong's Concordance the definition means "penalty" http://biblehub.com/greek/2631.htm

The penalty that came to the elect as a result of Adam's fall is death of their flesh bodies and is mentioned earlier in the chapter. "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:" (Romans 5:12).

Adam's fall also made all humans born into this world to be born as sinners. "For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners" (Romans 5:19a). The penalty for sin is eternal condemnation, for the elect this was placed upon Christ at the atonement, thus they will not suffer this condemnation like the nonelect will after death. "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." (2 Corinthians 5:21). Further, Romans 8:1 that you have already cited assures us, "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." The condemnation mentioned in this particular verse, unlike the condemnation in Romans 5:18, must mean eternal damnation as we know all the elect do suffer the condemnation of a physical death as a result of Adam's fall, but never suffer the condemnation of eternal damnation, nor were they at any time under this sentence as they have always been "in Christ". "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God" (1 John 3:9)

As Peter said, this seed is "not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible" (1 Peter 1:23). If this seed were subject to eternal condemnation at any time, it could not have been said by Peter it is an "incorruptible seed".

God bless,

Brother Joe

16. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

You said some good things but here is where I disagree, #1 The condemnation in both Rom 8:1 and Rom 5:18 are the same, they are the very same greek word and they both entail eternal punishment, but for the Elect Christ died their Eternal punishment!

17. BrotherJoseph

Brother SavedbyMercy,

Yes, I agree they are the same Greek words for condemnation in both chapters, but the condemnation in Romans 5:18 is defined earlier by Paul as physical death earlier in the same chapter in Romans 5:12. "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:" (Romans 5:12), thus the condemnation in Romans 8:1 that will not come upon those who are "in Christ Jesus" must mean eternal damnation as we know even the elect suffers the condemnation of a physical death as a result of Adam's fall. If the condemnation in Romans 5:18 meant eternal damnation as you claim, then you must conclude that at one time even the elect were subject to eternal damnation because the verse says, "Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation" (Romans 5:18). Do you believe that at one time those "in Christ" were subject to eternal damnation? That is not possible.

God bless,

Brother Joe

18. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The Elects eternal condemnation of Rom 5:18 was charged to Christ ! Do you believe that Christ death for sins includes eternal death that the Elect deserved? Yes or No then explain!

19. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Now physical death for the Elect is not a condemnation of any sort, it is not a punishment for sins, it is actually because of Christ a benefit! Paul says that for the Elect to die is gain Phil 1:21 !

The Elect thief on the Cross at death entered into Paradise with Christ!

20. BrotherJoseph

Yes Brother, Christ paid the penalty of eternal damnation that the elect deserved because they were sinners by nature. Also, because he is the Lamb slain before the foundation of the world and took this penalty, the penalty never was or shall be imposed upon the elect. I think we can agree on this.

Brother Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.