1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured There Is Nothing We Can Do About it

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, May 14, 2014.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ITL - there is a lot of truth in your statement

FTW- I do agree with your basic concept, there are some differences.
    When I was much more involved in politics, including running for office- I only had one Master - the Lord Jesus Christ. If there was a conflict - politics took the back seat. When I was a candidate, I ran on the Conservative Party Line. The CP was organized due to the liberalism of Gov Nelson Rockefeller. If you look at the Party platform you will see we stand for high moral issues.
    Now, keep in mind that there are individuals who may not totally agree or uphold those standards.

Let me give you a good example. A good friend of mine has run for the State Senate on the Conservative Line. She and her husband were members of an IFB church. Well, about 10 years ago, Don went home to be with the Lord. His widow stayed active with the Party. Well, yesterday, I found out that she resigned her membership in her local IBF church at the request/demand of her church. You see she is now living with her finance - a man she may or may not marry. I have lost respect for her. If she was to run again, It is very likely I would NOT vote for her.

Yes, I believe we should be involved with a political party, especially at the local level - as that is where we can make the most impact. But at no time will I allow my standards to be lowered.

One more example - I was asked to give the invocation and benediction at a Conservative Party event. Just to be clear, I mentioned that I do not "read" a prayer and that I do pray in the name of Jesus Christ. The County Chairman had no problem with that. If he did, he would have been looking for someone else.

And FTW - one other thing - "loving my neighbor" does not necessarily mean giving them everything they want. It also means helping them to help themselves.

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

I did, here as well as several other posts on that thread ... you didn't agree there, either. Now you've got someone else saying the same thing. Maybe you'd like to listen?

#22 thisnumbersdisconnected, May 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
  3. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely. I prefer not to talk about politics at all these days because it is so polarizing. If you support either one of the parties you automatically estrange yourself from 50% of the people you're talking to. The only reason I speak out so much against the Republican party is because I sincerely believe that the alliance between them, and the church has significantly diminished the appeal of the church to the world.