1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

There's plenty of oil for everybody.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

THERE ARE MORE MISUNDERSTANDINGS about the oil market than perhaps any other. In America, drivers are fuming and politicians are demanding explanations because gasoline has hit about $3.50 per gallon. That's less than half the price being paid by motorists in most industrialized countries. High to us is low to them. Then there are the oil refiners. Relative to the $120 price of crude, $3.50 for gasoline is so cheap that their margins have virtually disappeared. So "high" in Cambridge, Massachusetts and Oxford, Mississippi is "low" in similarly named cities in the UK, and "high" for motorists is "low" for refiners. It depends where you live, and at which point in the supply chain you find yourself.
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/015/043fhyiv.asp

2. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

The globe in my office squeaks. Proof that I need more 'world oil'.

Rim shot please.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am curious, not arguing, if the profit margins are so thin how is it that oil companies are reporting record profits?

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The money is being made upstream at the wellhead, not downstream at the pump. The earnings reports that will soon be coming out will show this.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For instance, crabtownboy, the company that I work for announced this afternoon that 1st quarter 2008 profits were $409.0 million compared to 1st quarter 2007 profits of 110.6 million.

Of the $409.0 million in profits, $428.0 million was made in exploration and production and only $10.2 million was made in refining and marketing. Then there were net costs of corporate functions of $29.2 million.

You can read the entire report at:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080430/20080430006465.html?.v=1

6. billwald

billwald New Member

The difference is that the European cities were built when land and cars were expensive. Most American cities (suburbs) were built when land and cars were cheap.

Before WW1 most American non-farm workers commuted by foot or public transportation. Wasn't till after WW2 that the artificial need for a car was invented.

Third, the POE price of oil is close to the same world wide. The difference in local cost is mostly taxes.

7. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

We are sitting on top of 5 trillion barrels of oil. Many oil fields are shut down , many resources lay undeveloped. We don't need to look for this oil we have already found it, enough to be the world supplier for the next 400 years. We could sell ourselves cheap oil and undercut Arab oil by 20 dollars a barrel and drive thier war making money machine right down the drain. Something is definitely wrong here. When are we going to wake up?:BangHead:

8. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

http://www.rense.com/general63/refil.htm

I read this article, or one very similar 4 or 5 years ago, and then later a book titled Black Gold, Stranglehold, by Jerome Corsi, and Craig Smith. In them they offer scientific evidence that the earth is constantly "producing" oil, and that the notion that these deposits are the result of dinosaurs is mythology. The oil fields around and west of Bakersfield, CA have produced something like 20 times the estimated volume originally speculated, and they've re-estimated several times. I don't believe we are running out at all, except politically.

Anyway it's a good read..

9. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

My neighbor works for an oil refinery here in Kansas and he also said that we have more oil in Alaska than all of the Middle East and enough oil just here under us to supply us for centuries.

I asked why not use our own oil and he said that the oil in Alaska and here will need a lot of refining and will be expensive, whereas the oil in Arabia is more pure and needs hardly no refining at all.

Don't know how true this is, but that's what I was told...

InXC
    -