1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

These are possibly the 5 best sentences you'll ever read

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by mandym, Jul 14, 2011.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by
    legislating the wealth out of prosperity.

2. What one person receives without working for,
    another person must work for without receiving.

3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work, because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I don't know if they are the best or not, but I've been taught all of them from a child and I still believe them.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by
    legislating the wealth out of prosperity.

Lying with statistics.

2. What one person receives without working for,
    another person must work for without receiving.

Bible says, "The rain falls on the just and the unjust."

3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

AGREE!

4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

A koan?

5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work, because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Against people living on SS and pensions?

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO!!!
    those on SS and pensions have worked for 40 years and have earned.

a current problem is govt workers who may only need 20 years to be vested in the system. In addition there are several loopholes.

Many in govt will retire after 20, then get a different govt job - and will be recieving 2 pay checks.
    I contend there should be no double dipping execpt for military, policemen and firemen
    Last Nov one of our county higest elected officials won re-election.
    He retired on Dec 31 (thats 6 weeks later) He is now recieving 80 grand a year on retirement, in addition to the 120 grand, as he is still on the job. Yes, he retired - but now drawing regular pay and retirement.
    A congressman is vested after ony 5 years of service!! (he may not draw till he is 55 or 60, but 5 years - that is uncalled for.

5. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Salty, my company's 401(k) vests after three years. I don't think it's the vesting period that's the issue, but rather the amount of defined benefits you get with a pension as opposed to a 401(k). As a side note, I put as much money as my employer will match into my 401(k) and then put more money into my IRA. I want to not have to rely on Social Security if I retire.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

>Many in govt will retire after 20, then get a different govt job - and will be recieving 2 pay checks.

Why is this morally different from getting a pension from Ford and then taking a job with GM?

>I contend there should be no double dipping execpt for military, policemen and firemen

Please explain your exemption for military, police, and fire.

You know that Reagan (I think was the one) who stole 60% of the SS benefits from police and fire personnel who also worked outside the SS system?