1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Things about God and scripture I just don't know

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread I got to thinking about things scripture does not make clear of give full details about.

For example:

I do not know why demons act the way they do around people even today or specifically what they want. We know that Satan has his agenda but not much more.

I do not know the mechanics of salvation. I know that we preach the gospel and some people receive it and some do not.

I am ok with not knowing these things scripture does not make clear.

Post about the things you see in scripture that you do not know because scripture is unclear.

*Note - Do not attack another position because you think you do know. Keep it to what you do not know.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not understand with completeness how Jesus IS God and is God's Son. And how Jesus IS God and yet He prayed to God in the Garden. I can't explain it with my own words to my own satisfaction.

But, I'm good with it. And I don't lose any sleep over it. And I trust it.

I'm sure there are others who have incomplete understandings of things too.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I no not why God's wondrous grace
    To me He hath made known,
    Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
    Redeemed me for His own.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't understand how satan could have let pride get the best of him when he was in a sinless environment.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know how an omnipresent, omniscient God is self described as not knowing something, searching, seeking, etc.... basically interacting with finite men within the confines of time.

6. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I cannot explain why the Israelites killed everything in sight at God's command in the early going, but in the New Testament, Jesus pointed out, "For God so loved the world..."

It's difficult to understand an eternal God with my finite mind, so I trust Him.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

If Adam had a belly button...

When Jesus is coming again...

How He could ever love me...

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can God always have existed?

How can he be three seperate beings, yet still be Just One God?

How can he always have known all things?

how did Giod become human exactly?

Why did BOTh satan and Adam freely choose to disobey/rebell against god, no reason too?

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Why are we here NOW??

If God has always existed, why did he wait trillions upon trillions of years to make the world now? Why didn't he make us all in the distant past?

10. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Appreciate Your Candidness

....like you, I have to admit that there is a great many things I do not know, and just because I have a BA in Religion, or I'm an ordained preacher with the title, "Reverend!" that does not mean I have ALL the answers.

I do think I understand the supernatural warfare going on around us, and why demons do what they do, however! They, felt that their leader was worth leaving the comfort and safety of heaven, thousands of years ago, and it is quite clear that they are committed and dedicated to taking as many of God's fallen children to hell with them. Misery loves company, and I see them following a mission, similar to that given in Matthew 28:16-20, to go and make followers of evil.

Jesus explained best, the work of the devil and his minions/cohorts in John 10:10 - "The thief [Satan and his followers] come only to steal (steal the peace of knowing, loving and following God) and kill (the opportunity to find Gods Grace by causing them to REJECT God's plan of salvation and pardon from sin) and destroy (as Jesus said in Matthew 7:13-14, the road to "Destruction'" is wide and there will be many more on that road than the lesser traveled Narrow Path to heaven); I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

Like Satan, his minions/cohorts/demons do not have the omnipresent powers of God nor the omnipotent abilities; they make to do with what they have, and work late into the night [metaphorically speaking] to bring as many with them as they can possibly influence. And this does not mean that all that have been influenced by Satan, and his armies are pure evil. Many of these folks are "Well meaning; good intentioned" folks which have bought the lie of atheism, false religions, cults, etc.

Now, that is where my knowledge of Satan's (well) hidden agenda fades. I can assume that he knows his life on earth will one-day end, and regardless of the large number of humans, he gets to reject God in his reign on earth, like with the Borg [in Start Trek], "Resistance is futile!" and in the end, throngs of fallen angels and those humans that bought the lie to reject God at all costs, will still burn in the lake of fire!

I can only assume he is trying to make a point and be able to say, in the end while he burns in hell, that he could take a large portion of Gods the most precious creation - humans- along with him, by getting them to deny Jesus and His Father for no matter what the reasons. It seems to be an ego trip, and like I said, misery loves company!

It is also possible that over the thousands of years of fighting against God, that Satan has become somewhat delusional, maybe he and his demons think that there is power in numbers, and that the numbers will balance the power struggle between him and God, and that with all these created beings now stuck with a future of burning in hell, they will make one final assault against God to take over the heavens a dislodge God and his Angels and the family of believers from the eternity God promised!

Nevertheless, that is the problem with a person who has fallen captive of delusions. In the end, they will see their delusion crash and burn!

Still, there is no doubt in my mind that we are involved in a supernatural battle while we walk this earth. Which is why so many verses in Paul's writings address this war, and the tools need to deflect the fiery arrows of the enemy and be victorious in the end?!

Rev....this is why I stand by the Biblical World View of the Bible and its message. I choose to believe it simply because God and His Word said it! I don't know how a fish could swollow a man and spit him up on a beach a few days later? I don't know how one old man and his family could have built such a fantastic boat and gathered and cared for all those animals, let alone believe it would raing after all those many years!

I don't know what will happen when I die, other than the promise that I'll be with Him!. How that works and what happens, as well as what we'll do with eternity on our hands, still has a ring of mystery to it. But, if God said it! it will be done!

I don't understand how God can heal someone and raise them from their death bed while hundreds or thousands of others who believe as much as, or maybe even more then the one who was healed, and still die?

I don't know if the rapure wil come before, in the middle of or after the tribulation, but I know it's coming and I need to be ready!

I don't know Greek or Hebrew, BUT, I have seen those who know it, and speak and use it fluently to interpret the Word, gradually fall away from the simplicity of the Word and their once found faith!

Like you said, there is not much you understand on some things, but, like you, I think that is acceptable so long as we never forget that no matter what, God is still God, and what He said about the important things like salvation, and heaven will not change one iota!

#10 righteousdude2, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  11. Gib

Gib Active Member

The observable universe is about 46 billion light years in radius. The Universe is commonly defined as the totality of existence, including planets, stars, galaxies, the contents of intergalactic space, and all matter and energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe

Why did God make the universe so big and complex?

12. Thermodynamics

He didn't, time was created along with space and matter at the moment of creation. Prior to that there was no time, no before or after, God just was.

13. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Deuteronomy 29:29 The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever :type:

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Outside the Bible, the two biggest mysteries of human life are:

Is there life elsewhere in the Universe

Is there life after death

What would I like to fully understand in Scripture? How God's sovereignty and man's free will interface with each other. If that happened, about half the posters here would be at a loss as to what to post.

I would like to know what Jesus did in the eighteen years not recorded.

I would like to know how God made the three hour darkness while Jesus was on the cross.

Finally, and most of all, I would like to know if St. Patrick ate Lucky Charms for breakfast.

#14 saturneptune, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013