1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

This could only make sense to a Democrat

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by targus, Dec 7, 2009.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

It is not similar to Wal-Mart!

Walmart is a "private company." They cannot come into my house at the point of a gun and force me to support their efforts.

The government can.

Try again.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is making a couple points. You keep parroting demcom talking points almost verbatim but you seem to lack any real knowledge of what they are actually doing. Fortunately the majority of American people are not so ignorant.

You keep repeating the lie that no one will be dorced to give up their insurance now. That has been debunked. And it now appears you know that and parrot the demcom lies anyway.

#42 Revmitchell, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I missed the part of history where Obama turned the US into Nazi Germany. I'd be trying to flee the country if I were you. Canada is not too far and we offer free health care if you don't mind our income tax brackets. Of course you only get one choice of insurance company so no guns are needed. In fact all guns are highly regulated. I'm sure you'll love it in Canada. :D

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which only makes sense to a liberal

5. targus

targus New Member

I guess that you are unaware that many Canadians come to the U.S. for healthcare because the wait in Canada is just too long or the medical personnell or equipment are just not there.

Once the U.S. becomes like Canada they will not be able to come here - because we will have the same shortcomings - and it will become obvious that Canada's system works only as well as it does because of U.S. assistance in the form of providing a relief valve.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

*sigh*

I was trying to avoid having to type everything out, point-by-point, but you missed it, so here goes:

When the government forces us to subsidize an industry in which they are directly competing against private industry, they do so via taxes. Taxes are not optional. If we don't pay them, they can send enforcement officials to confiscate our property, and even imprison us. They are justified in doing so by force, if neccessary.

Now...I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't pay our taxes (I have to put this in here, so you won't jump to conclusions & accuse me of such).

But...because of the scenario described above, maybe--just maybe--you understand.

And no thank you...I'd rather be in the US. I like it here. Besides...if I want to know about Canada's system, I just need to stay here a couple more years, and barring the miraculous, we'll have a Canadian health system here. (only worse, because dumber people will be in charge of it)

Now...does it make more sense to you, or do I need to go into even more detailed explanation?

7. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

So now I'm a liberal who hates America, a parrot, ignorant, and a liar.

I'll clarify this just for you- No one will be forced by the government to change their insurance plans. What you connies don't get is that your employer could change your healthcare as it is.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

As to your first comment...I would not say that of you. As I said earlier, I do think you're making a big error in what is sound fiscal policy...and you're underestimating the anti-freedom component of this legislation.

Your second statement is indicative of just how problematic this legislation is. Technically, you might be correct, in that the Imperial Federal government doesn't firsthand force change on us...but (especially in the house bill) for all intents and purposes, that's just what they do...by forcing us to buy coverage, and then running the competitors into the ground. (And in the house proposal, as you remember, there's the rule that "if anything in your plan changes, you must go the Obamacare route.O

That's the problem with the bunch in Washington. If you finely parse the words exactly as they want you to...they're "not lying." But their intentions, and their solutions are as untruthful as they come. Calling it a "half-truth" gives it way too much credit.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Employers may but that has nothing to do with government run healthcare.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've made my point.

You're drowning in Kool Aide.

11. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Jim Jones used Flavor-Aid, not Kool-Aid. Anyway, I've got a job interview in a little bit and a final exam later, so I'll come and talk about health care later.

12. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I guess my attempt at humour didn't work so well. I was just saying that Canada has exactly what you don't want to happen in the US because of the things you stated above.

You guys just hear about the horror stories of single-payer health care from politically motivated sources. My first hand experience with the Canadian and Australian public systems acknowledge that while there are some problems that are different from the problems experienced by the US system, there are also many great advantages to the public system that you do not hear about.

My interest in Obama's health care reform stems from the fact I may be practicing in that system very soon. I don't care whether America decides to go with Obama's system or not. That is a decision for americans to make. But I do care that it is accurately represented on these boards because I think the truth is important to state.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I sincerely hope you actually learn something about it in the meantime.

Obama parrots are a dime a dozen.

Other than your acting like one of Jones' lemmings, what is your fascination with him? He was probably gone before you were born.

#53 carpro, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  14. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I guess this is a topic for a different thread.

But writing this sentence made me ask the question, why is it so hard for folks to disagree without misrepresenting the person or ideas that they are disagreeing with?

This happens in arguments with my wife, political debates, theological debates, etc.

Anyway, I guess it takes a lot of discipline to disagree respectfully and most of the time we just don't have that, even the best of us. Creating strawmen is what we do naturally.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

Haven't you learned anything??

Your wife is always right.

:eek: :D

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually Paul, I did give a source. You may have to Google it if you are really interested.

As for the Orwell quote, that was for the benefit of others as well as yourself as this is a public debate forum.

Actually I was quite a fan of Orwell (Coming up for Air, Down and Out in Paris and London, Shooting an Elephant, etc) in my college days.

I also realize that both sides of the aisle are guilty of "pervaricating", remember "Read my lips, no new taxes"?

As for my last statement it was an attempt at humor.

After the passage of the health care bill there will so little left for medicare this is the only advice my doctor could give me that he/I could afford: "take 2 aspirin".

Then "call me from the hospice".

"If you are still alive"

I hope the job interview is successful (assuming God's will of course).

HankD

#56 HankD, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009