1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

This is going to sound crazy .. (Re: Fast Food)

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by CoJoJax, Feb 10, 2009.

1. CoJoJax

CoJoJax New Member

Is it possible to be addicted to fast food?

I know that sounds stupid.

But I feel like I'm going to a fast food joint to eat something almost 2-3 times a day. 2-3 times a day!

I'm 21-years-old and I'm actually in pretty good shape .. but I do feel like if I keep going down this track, that'll fade away fast.

I'll even plan to bring food from home or something to work .. sometimes I forget and the times I bring it, I still feel the need to go get something to eat. I might go to Chik-Fil-A in the morning for breakfast before work, go to Wendys at lunch, and then after work feel a little hungry and go to McDonalds or something of that nature. It's almost like I can't help it! Am I crazy or what?

Is fast food addiction real???

This crazyness has just recently hit me and I can't believe how much money I spend on this garbage. Not to mention how unhealthy I'm sure it is.

Anybody heard of anything like this? I gotta stop eating this stuff and stop the madness!!! :tonofbricks:

#1 CoJoJax, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Addiction? Maybe.

Trained to prefer it? Yes.

I directed a day care for a number of years and I found that the best ate meals short of spaghetti was the meals where we served chicken nuggets or hamburgers with french fries. Go figure. When we spent time and made "home cooked"...did they like this as much? NO. Many were children of parents in a busy "eat fast food" society. They liked what they knew.

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

You are not crazy! Anything can become an addiction.

Fast food is really a common addiction. You don't want to fix something at home, fast food is quick and (usually) tastes good. It's convenient. Of course, people get addicted to it.

You might try a trip to the grocery store and buy some fruit, lunchmeat, etc. and start packing your lunch. If you can cut out the fast food for lunch, you've taken a step towards breaking your addiction. :)

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Blackbird will respond with a scene from Star Trek

Captain Kirk(while shakeing his First Officer by the shoulders):

"Spock!!! Spock!!!! Are you out of your Vulcan mind???!!"

:laugh: :laugh:

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Let me parse this pretty finely.

In no way am I suggesting that anyone other than the consumer is responsible for their choices.

However, some studies have shown that a very high-fat, high-refined flour & sugar diet, does release certain chemicals in the brain that cause us to have more of a craving for said food.

In short, I would say that it is possible for us to "train our tastes" to the point that we like fast food to the exclusion of healthy food, and we make the choice far too often.

(Repeating, though: we're still responsible for our choices).

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

There is a tremendous amount of fat in fast food, and it will build up in your body until you end up with high cholesterol and the risk of a heart attack or stroke. Eat it at you own risk.

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

There is a lawyer out there who tried to work the addiction angle of this.

I believe it's true to a point. Your body gets used to the rush of sugars and carbs, wants more of it, and you're not gonna find a faster fix than fast food!

So I think it is sort of an addiction. Your body is amazing and works with what you give it until you crash it.

But that works the opposite way. Start giving your body healthier stuff, and you'll start craving healthier stuff.

So go ahead and break it back in easy if you don't think you can go cold turkey all at once. HA HA HA!

For example, take water with you, and instead of drinking the soda (which you still can order) just have sips of the soda, but make the main drink water. Eventually get rid of the soda. Bodies love water, so the more you drink, the more of it your body will tell you it wants.

Do the same with the fries. Take some carrot or celery sticks and have some of those, ordering smaller fries. Then replace them all with the carrots.

Now you'll be down to carrot sticks, water, and a burger.

Then you sit there and think about that burger. Think about e-coli. It comes from feces. Why did they have to cook your burger so well? To get rid of the danger of you getting sick from e-coli.
    Why was that a danger in the first place if e-coli in beef comes from the cow's feces, not the meat? Think about it.
    If that's not enough, do you know how many insect and rodent parts/hairs are allowed to be in the commercially processed bun that is holding the burger that has had the feces in it cooked until safe to eat? If it has cheese, do you know the allowable amount of pus, blood, and hormones allowed in milk?

Mmmmm....yummy! Go

Home made food is much more appetizing. And girls love it when a guy can cook! Start taking an interest in the classier side of eating. Find simple recipes that look good, and take pride in what you prepare. Think about how much more appetizing it is to have pure foods, as close to the form God made them in for you.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I don't know about any 'food addiction' per se, but I'm most definitely allergic to those who wants to legislate what they think I should or should not eat, based on their own desires and ideas. :(

Ed

9. CoJoJax

CoJoJax New Member

Wow .. I got a lot more replies to this than I thought, haha.

I'm 21 and during my last appt./bloodtesting/whatever I had high bad cholesterol and low good cholesterol.

Needless to say, that's pretty sad and you would think after that information I got about a month ago that I'd change my eating habits. Well, I did for like a day or two .. and then right back to the usual. Unbelievable!

Anyway .. I'm probably going to have to settle for the method mentioned in the topic of a slow transition. The quick "get-rid-of-it-all" approach didn't work out that well. I feel kind of pathetic for having to create self-control over something so stupid!

How can something like fast food be so frustrating to overcome??? FAST FOOD people, FAST FOOD!

Could be worse I suppose!

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Yep, it could definitely be worse!

But don't feel too bad. Everyone has their weaknesses. If it was cocaine or hitting strangers over the head with pink stuff rabbits then you might want to seek more professional help.

As is, I think you'll be fine and you can do this. :thumbs: It's also nice to see someone just go ahead and ask for advice on help with something. No matter how small something may seem, it can have a big impact on your life, and it's always good to seek help and support from the resources you have available.

You are wise, young one! :smilewinkgrin:

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

My wife and I were in a fast food establishment some time ago------I had a "hankerin'" for a ice cream cone-----so we were at the counter doing the orderin'

There was a worker in the back by the grill-----he had a big box of hamberger meat and was grabbin' the patties out of the box and onto the grill--------by and by he fumbles around and drops one of the patties on the floor

I watched him(but he didn't see me watchin') to see what he would do with that patty layin' on the floor

He let it lay there until he was finished putting the others on the grill

When he finished with the others----he reaches down and picks up the other patty that had been on the floor and he tosses it in the garbage can-------I kid you not----he tossed it in the garbage can nearby

He had a pair of those kitchen latex gloves on---well---when he picked the patty off the floor and tosses it in the can----he then proceeded to take off the gloves and tosses them in the can also

He MUST'VE been watchin' me out of the corner of his eye---MUST'VE thought I would have "squelled" on him or somethin' like that!!! 'cause I believe if he hadn't seen me lookin' at him----he'd have tossed that patty on the grill along with the rest of um-----------BUT-----like Gomer Pyle---I wouldn't have been able to prove that he would or would't have if I hadn't been there watchin'

:saint: :saint:

12. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was flipping channels late one night & stumbled onto one of those infomercials. There was a guy (Kevin Turedeau) selling a "Weight Loss Cure" book. If I'm not mistaken, I think that he alleges that fast food companies put chemicals into the food to make them addictive. At first I thought the guy is just making that up to sell his book. To a degree, it sounds far fetched, but the more I thought about it, the more I began to wonder if he's right about that.

During that program he was talking about things the the FDA has been sweeping under the carpet. The federal government has been known to keep things a secret. It makes me wonder if that's true. You can't help but wonder.

13. CoJoJax

CoJoJax New Member

Thanks for all the information.

Good news .. I went to Publix yesterday and got a delicious Sante Fe style salad for lunch.

The transition begins!!!