1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

This is how much time obesity cuts off your life

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Crabtownboy, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The more overweight you are, the more likely you are to die.

Put another way: Being overweight or obese is associated with a higher risk of dying prematurely than being a healthier weight — and the risk increases with additional pounds, according to a new international study led by researchers at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and the University of Cambridge in the U.K. Researchers joined forces in 2013 to establish the Global BMI (Body Mass Index) Mortality Collaboration, which included more than 500 investigators from over 300 global institutions.

Looking at specific causes of death, the study found that, for each five-unit increase in BMI (from, say, 30 to 35) — body mass index is measured by a formula that divides your body weight your height — the corresponding increases in risk were 49% for cardiovascular mortality, 38% for respiratory disease mortality and 19% for cancer mortality. That means these people are 49%, 38% and 19% more likely to die earlier than a person who has a healthy body weight.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-is-how-much-time-obesity-cuts-off-your-life-2016-07-15

2. Smyth

Smyth Active Member

Obesity is a reflection of the sins of gluttony and sloth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except for certain health conditions such as; such as underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism), Cushing's syndrome, and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That or we are excited about meeting Jesus!

( disclaimer - I am not qualified in any medical field)

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now on a more serious note:
    So should we consider overweight and/or obesity as sinful?
    Many churches would not allow drunks, relationships outside of marriage, open dishonesty, and ect to be a leader in our churches. (not to mention divorce)
    Therefore, should we have stricter standards for pastors and leaders when it comes to our weight?

The standards are:
    18.5 - 24.....Healthy bmi
    25.0-29......overweight
    30+.............Obese

Here is an excellent article I found on this

Should a pastor be preaching on gluttony and sloth.as being a sin?

What should our churches be doing to help members maintain a healthy weight?

NOTE: I realize there are a few medical reasons for overweight - as Crabby pointed out in post # 3.
    But for for most of us the cause is over eating and lack of exercise.

Open for discussion

Disclaimer: I have a BMI of 41.9 --- I need to loose 82 pounds to get down to "just" Overweight.
    So dont consider that I am pointing a finger at you - I am pointing 3 fingers back to myself.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obesity is a product of our modern society.
    Our appetites are overly satiated with high calorie delights that we tease with sugary beverages and snacks.
    We sit at a desk for 8 to 10 hours a day, walk 200 feet to our car and drive home then sit in front of our computers and type and view for another few hours before going to bed.

God sure has blessed us!!!

Rob

• Agree Agree x 1