This Is Ignorant

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Martin, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin
    Expand Collapse

This story is pure ignorance.

I don' know why Bush referred to the Pope as "yes, sir" instead of "His Holiness", neither do I care. I would not refer to any human being as "His Holiness" or "Father" (in a religious manner). The Pope has no Biblical right to ask people to refer to him as "His holiness" (Matt 23:6-12). While Bush's comment may have been a goof, from a theological perspective I am glad he did it. The Pope is not "His Holiness" because the Pope is not sinless. He is a fallen, sinful human being just like everyone else. The Bible says that all men have sinned and fall short of God's glory (Rom 3:23). The Pope is not "His Holiness".

Don't get me wrong. I would not disrespect someone just to disrespect them. However if I ever did meet the Pope "yes, sir" is about the best he would get from me.

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_2127232,00.html

2. mcdirector

mcdirector
    Expand Collapse

An occassional gasp can be a good thing ;)

3. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed
    Expand Collapse

Well, at least he didn't say, "How ya doin, Brother Benny?"

4. Melanie

Melanie
    Expand Collapse

or worse.....the German Shepherd....what did the Pope called the Bushed one I wonder........

5. Chessic

Chessic
    Expand Collapse

I'm happy to read that story, short though it is. I think far too many non-Catholics allow Catholics to get away with (imo) blasphemous titles like "Holy Father." I don't refer to a priest as "Father," (Matt 23:9) but, if it's a formal occasion, I would call one "Sir." If I ever met the pope, I would definitely use "Sir" just because of his position as a world leader, raised up, like all world leaders, good and bad, by God. I may be too sensitive about titles, though; for example, not everyone is as bothered by the fawning and foot-kissing (to use a more polite term) in the dedication of the KJV as I am. It throws their whole motivation into question for me.

6. Chessic

Chessic
    Expand Collapse

"Dub-ya" of course.

7. MrJim

MrJim
    Expand Collapse

Did he kiss the ring?