1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"This is my body"

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, May 2, 2007.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What did Christ mean with saying, "This, is my body"?

Will participants in this thread kindly use large print for the sake of those like me with poor eye-sight? Thanks!

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I cannot tell you how helpful, revealing and fruitful, I have found the Baptist Board discussions to the subjects of interest to me personally.

The now closed topic of the 'impossibility of Holy Communion' has not yet brought certain questions an answer. This is one. I hope you residents are going to help me find a better understanding.

3. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

What do you think Christ meant when He took bread and said...take eat, this IS my body...?
    -

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

Can the bread then, be taught anything? (Eph1:4:12)

How are WE, the Body of Christ but don't eat ourselves? (1Cor12:27)

As for Lk22:19. A perfectly legitimate translation (and literal at that), would be:
    "Then taking a loaf having given thanks, He broke (it) then gave to them saying: This the body of mine is for you being given; unto my memory do (eat) ye!"
    The reference clearly is not to the bread as the body of Christ; but to the body of Christ Himself being broken for the disciples; eating the bread, they should remeber that!

5. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Just what exactly is your point here?

The word remembrance that you and others seem to get hung up on doesn’t just mean to remember an event. The Jews of Jesus’ time would’ve used the term in context to mean: to make a reality present, just as the Jews did every Passover.

-

6. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

The bread and the wine represent the body and blood of Christ. They are not the body and blood of Christ. We participate in the observance in remembrance of His sacrifice - to make the reality of His sacrifice real to us, spiritually. It touches us, spiritually. It is bread and wine that enter the stomach, not flesh and blood. No "Pope" can decree otherwise. The Gospel stands as written. It does not require the addition of tradition in the form of "revelations" or decrees.

7. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I will have to give thought to your question, but I wanted to point out a feature you may not be aware of on this board.

At the top right hand corner right below your name and the status of yuor Private messages, there is:

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

Clicking those will increase all the fonts of the Board so everyone won't have to use large fonts for you to read the messages.

I hope this helps!

Jamie

8. billwald

billwald New Member

The NT writers were using Greek logic. "Is" made perfect sense to them. There are several senses to something's being. I forget the exact sequence.

9. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are quite correct while GE and I were Comp Blinded.
    This must be addressed to GE and to others who have difficulity with the visibility.

10. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Gerhard,

bmerr here. I think reason demands Jesus was speaking figuratively, as when He referred to Herod as a "fox" (Luke 13:32). Otherwise we are forced to believe that Rome had a quadruped ruling over one of its' provinces... I don't think so, either.

In Christ,

bmerr

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Originally Posted by Gerhard Ebersoehn
    Can the bread then, be taught anything? (Eph1:4:12)
    How are WE, the Body of Christ but don't eat ourselves? (1Cor12:27)

Just what exactly is your point here?

GE:

You say Christ's Body is the bread; Paul says here the Church (Believers) is Christ's Body. By your logic then the Church eats itself when it eats the bread.

You should ask yourself rather what you mean with the bread being Christ's Body.

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Originally Posted by Gerhard Ebersoehn
    As for Lk22:19. A perfectly legitimate translation (and literal at that), would be:
    "Then taking a loaf having given thanks, He broke (it) then gave to them saying: This the body of mine is for you being given; unto my memory do (eat) ye!"
    The reference clearly is not to the bread as the body of Christ; but to the body of Christ Himself being broken for the disciples; eating the bread, they should remeber that!

Agnus Dei:

The word remembrance that you and others seem to get hung up on doesn’t just mean to remember an event. The Jews of Jesus’ time would’ve used the term in context to mean: to make a reality present, just as the Jews did every Passover.

GE:

The word 'remember' is a word Jesus put there with obvious reason. In this post I take this word not so seriously though. The words I take seriously rather are, "THIS IS ...". Jesus refers to Himself the Bread of life to be broken for those His own, gives them of the loaf of bread, and says, "Eat ... in remembrance of ME ..."

I cannot say it clearer.

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

How true!
    My Confession of Faith reads, ".... as BY FAITH partaking ...." So did Calvin describe it.

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Have tried to but as you can see, failed. I'll try again next time. I'm so stupid with this machine!