1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

This is what I was talking about.

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Pastor Larry, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daisy

Daisy New Member

It is when you sentence for homicide.

That's what makes it criminal neglect. It is negligently putting people in harm's way, not intentionally. If he intended to harm people then it would be intentional; as it is, he didn't care whether he harmed them or not - criminal endangerment (and homicide because he did in fact cause a death).

Wilful, criminal endangerment & neglect - but not intentional murder.

What gets me is the paltry sentences handed out to those who intend to murder someone but don't pull it off successfully. I think the sentence for attempted murder should equal that for murder.

Yes.

#21 Daisy, Oct 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2006
  2. billwald

billwald New Member

Skilling committed the unforgiveable sin - interfered with an orderly flow of assets from our working class to Swiss bank accounts.

3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

It would be just, but impractical. The prisons would be jammed. Many more people attempt to kill others than actually succeed. Unless there happens to be a gun handy, most of us aren't very good at it. This is one of the primary reasons most people should lock up guns. By the time one has gotten a weapon out of the gun safe and loaded it, most people have come to realize that homicide would not be a good idea.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I suppose that depends on what you mean by "intellectual." Intellectually, we understand that the OT Law was for people who lived in OT Israel. It was not for people who live in any other country. So while there is much to learn from the OT Law, judicial punishment from the Law is not and should not be mandated for anyone else. As the Bible makes clear, we are not under that Law.

Because the examples I had were not from the same state. THe outcome would hardly be different. All states have such inequities. If I took time, I am sure I could find examples in other states, but the point would be the same.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I disagree.
    Something is intentional when you willfully put them in danger. Intending to kill is not the measure we should use. Failure to intentionally keep them safe is intentionally putting them in harm’s way. I think part of the problem is that we make the kind of distinctions that you are making that ultimately devalue life. I don’t think you intend that, but I don’t know how you get around it.

I disagree. To be guilty of murder, I think you should actually have to murder someone. If you only intend to murder them, and don’t succeed, you should be charged and punished accordingly. But I see your point, and wouldn’t quibble greatly with it.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Doesn't the actus reus of DWI and the subsequent homicide imply intent due to the willful act that led to the impairment which was causative of the crime?

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning

As this thread is on its third page, I am issueing the Six Hour Warning.

No Earlier Than 6p Eastern, one of the moderators will clode this thread.

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

In conviction, yes, but not in sentencing because I still think that someone who intended to kill should be sentenced more harshly than one who did not.

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Soto was not negligently criminal, but recklessly - which is worse on the scale of mens rea.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

Drunk driving is our national sport.

11. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Third page?

Anybody around here got an abacus?

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Ten posts per "page". 1-10 is the first page, 11-20 is the second page & 21-30 is the third page. The first post on the third page, #21, still puts us "on" the third page.

It confused me at first because I have my preferences set to 20 posts a page, so I had to use my fingers...

13. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Oh.

I stand corrected.

My preferences are set to forty per page, and I did it so long ago, I forgot that it wasn't the same for everybody.

:flower:

14. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thread closed

As it is past 6p, Eastern, this thread is closed.

FYI, my settings count this thread at four pages. This is the 34th post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.