1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

This is where the RCC is headed

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Earth Wind and Fire, May 12, 2014.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My ministry is primarially to Catholics ...mostly Americans but also gravitating to Latins (that's another story). I'm finding 2 types....those who are very hedonistic cafeteria style and liberal emergent style (looking for meaning) . The orthodox R C is just about dead.

Attached is a video of a RC priest named Richard Rohr. This is a long video so I'm not expecting anyone to watch the whole thing but it will give you some window into current methology.

Note that allot of the mainline Protestant and Baptist churches are targeting them in order to increase numbers...with some success...but the ones who are still really Catholics in their DNA don't find contentment with the churches they transfer to and generally drop out after a while. Is there anything in Rohrs content you think I can use (incorporate into) my ministry...or is it a non issue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaMVKnpsDA8

#1 Earth Wind and Fire, May 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rohr wrote a small book called "Why Be Catholic" that one of the people I'm talking to recommended ....in it there is a section "What is the Shadow Side of Catholicism" that I'm told is good to understand. Like unscriptural Catholicism & that the Word is less authoritative than the teachings from the pope, bishop, pastor. Anyway, Id like to see his (Rohr's ) spin on this. There is so much to prepare for when ministering to Catholics. Also toying with visiting a Greek catholic church to see how they do things as I have many Ukrainians living right by me.... would be interesting to see how they perceive things.

3. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Having been a cradle Mick, an lapsed Mick, and a returned Mick...I have not viewed the video because I suspect there would be much I agree with.

The RCC has been in stormy seas since its inception, but it is STILL here. A lot of the theological debate on this board and others about what is wrong with the RCC is very tired chewed over cud....I mean being around for 2000 years this has been critiqued forever by very clever, devout people.....and yet it is still HERE.

Since Vatican 2 and the novelties therein ....has seen an amazing amount of stuff that would make our forbears go up in smoke....but the RCC still limps along.

After being determined to find my own salvation (read damnation there) I returned to the RCC because I was able to attend what is the core of Catholicism....the Mass...and more specifically the Tridentine Mass in all of its glory. The Latin is the language of the RCC ...it is universal and as a so called dead language....the words do not corrupt by usage. It always amuses me when I hear non Catholics say that Catholics do not know the bible....as it is the reason the Mass exists. The commmon part of the Mass is based on scripture, every day there is a reading from the Old Testament (epistle) and the New (gospel) and the last prayer is from John 1: 1-14.

The RCC will limp on until the last day when the Head of the Church comes in glory. Christ sees what we poor wretches cannot see and all will be fulfilled as He has WILLED. Amen.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never been "Mick" but I am surrounded by them. Being Irish doesn't necessarily guarantee Catholism no more than does being Polish or Italian.

But lets face it, Catholics have not done a very good job of teaching the Bible to the laity ....something they are now trying to correct. Hvopefully after 2000 years they have grown up enough to understand that need. With that said, I have great respect for Francis and I believe that to be the heart of true Catholism ....indeed true Christianity. Francis captures the heart of Christ in the sermon on the mount...of that I am convinced. I believe that the folks ive talked to who are former Roman Catholics know this (I include myself in this analysis). He was more relational, more hands on, more humble.....and I serious don't see that being emulated by Christianity today. Richard Rohr points out that even the order of the fransiscans don't practice it to the degree Francis did.

So my journey inward continues...

5. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sadly, you are quite right Earth, Wind and Fire, in that the Franciscans would certainly alarm St. Francis if he stood in their midst today, but that can be said about most of the orders.....like Pope Francis is a Jesuit....St Ignatius of Loyola would weep I suspect at what the Society of Jesus does today. Mind you anyone who holds to the original charters and teachings find themselves persecuted.

I find it is best to pray....:godisgood:

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James 1:2-4

2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

.....and our Lord's words in SOTM!

Matthew 5:11 KJV

Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

#6 Earth Wind and Fire, May 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2014
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    except that The Church of rome is NOT the church of Jesus here on earth, as its apostate church, and how can you say as a Christian that you get the full glory of the Mass, when that act blasphemes the death of Jesus for sins, and that if the mass is the high point for Rome and NOT the Cross. doesn't that say something to you?

8. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ah sorry I don't understand what you are trying to say...I shall bow out of the debate at this point as it is at risk of degenerating into a mud slinging match. I treasure my membership on the BB, but being drawn into defense of the RCC does tend to terminate membership.:tonofbricks:

Being a "Mick" in Australia was just being a Catholic rather than being of Irish ancestry....although there sure were a lot of Irish political prisoners sent by dear old bigoted England.

:godisgood:

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AHHHHH.....The luny Limey, yea they ruled the waves.:smilewinkgrin: race of mongrel krauts who literally crushed anybody who wasn't them. Now there is a pattern to follow.....Not!

#9 Earth Wind and Fire, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
  10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just was asking how you can the 'full experience" when attending a Mass, when that ritual denies the Cross of Christ as all suffiency for our sins?