1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured This isn't what I was hoping for. Not what I thought it would be.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Bob in St. Louis, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

This post will slightly derail the thread, but I just can't resist. I have to make a big deal out of Ann's correct use of the language. She said:
    I see this said wrong so often, it stands out when it's used correctly. It is not different than, it's different from.

Ann, you've made my day, Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now back to our discussion.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hey, I guess I learned something in 17 years of homeschooling! :wavey:

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

:thumbsup: :applause:

Wish I'd said that.

Now, what did I do with that like button? Oh, there it is ...

[​IMG]

4. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

The apostles argued among themselves, so we are evidence that nothing has changed since then. We are as human as they were.

5. Bob in St. Louis

Bob in St. Louis New Member

Well now. That's an interesting point of view.
    That's a good point.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Your first impression is very understandable. It would be one thing if everyone was a layman like me, it might be more acceptable. However, there are very many on this board who either say they are or actually are pastors and other Christian leaders. If most talked to their congregation the way they post on this board, they would be given the proverbial boot right out the front door of the church. It is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

[​IMG]

7. Bob in St. Louis

Exactly, that was my thought process to a 'T'. :thumbsup:

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Well Bob in St. Louis, as opposed to the other Bob, look how long some of us have been here! (and some joined before and rejoined)
    Sometimes you might be seeing a conversation that's evolved over ten plus years between a group of people, which will include a lot more personal things than one would expect when they think about a typical online message board that includes so many people.
    A lot have kinda just moved past that polite first stage after so long. It's more like a big family gathering now, complete with a crazy uncle who recently joined and seems to think he's been here all along and is offering much advice to many and talking to people who aren't there, which is quite amusing!
    There are SO many personalities here. There is an equal opportunity for everyone to be offended. Please stick around.
    Oh yeah, and there's an equal opportunity to be blessed too. It depends on whether one chooses to look for the blessing or not. It's easier to find the icky stuff, naturally. After all, these are human beings posting. Except me. I'm a watermelon.

9. Bob in St. Louis

Gina, thank you very much for posting!

Yea...I guess I understand that, to a certain extent. I've been a member of a couple forums for several years and have formed relationships with some of the members. To the extend where I'll go out on a financial "limb" to help a brother out based on his word that he'll reciprocate. Sometimes I'll go to the extent of sending something they are in need of without asking for anything in return, something that may even be near and dear to me. But even so, I still can't understand some of the posts here. There's just so much anger it seems. On the forums I belong to, there are people that don't agree with the other person, but they always put the 'smiley' out there that it's understood that "we're agreeing to continuing to disagree", and it's more-or-less all in good fun.

But like I said, I came here looking for something different that my "norm", and guess what....I found it!.

So...I'll hang around and check the place out. Thank you all for your kind works, and warm welcomes. It truly does mean a lot.

Bob

10. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I can say is...

....."welcome!" :smilewinkgrin:

As for the arguing, mean spirit you have noticed, it seems to be one of the traits of this board! I still don't like it, but, over all, there are darn good folks here, ones that I have developed a friendship with outside of the board! That says something!

I pray your stay be long and properous, fellowship wiase, as well as learning how others see things. In fact, the way others speak to one another will certainly help you in your skills with others in the future!

I have learned how to respond to others on other forums, in a tactful, or wiseacre way, depending on how they need to be responded to! And I learned this from those on this board and how they interact with each other! So the negative on this board has made me more skillful with others, even if it is to "Put there silly ideas down!" :thumbs:

11. Bob in St. Louis

Thank you 'Dude', for the kind words. Message received Sir. :wavey:

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pardon for derailing this thread. Ann,you used the singular they. I approve. It is a commonly used way of speaking and I think it should be commonly used in more formal writing. The 2011 NIV uses it.

13. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Bob in St. Louis.
    I've been through St. Louis only once in my life. In and out in one afternoon.

I couldn't help but respond to your posting of July 2013. "This isn't what I was hoping for. Not what I thought it would be.

I have to admit that I read it and couldn't help but appreciate your candid comments. Good for you!

To quote some of your comments...

To be quite honest, and probably a bit too blunt, I've heard more bickering and seen more confrontation here than I have on all of my other forums*combined. I am truly saddened by this.

Truth be told, I've seen more stress, arguing, bickering, and borderline name-calling here than anywhere else.

This place isn't what I was hoping for at all. There is no peace it seems.

I would like to say that you folks should be ashamed of yourselves with the posts I've read in my short time here, but my comment won't carry any weight since I'm "nobody" here.

My dad used to say, "Some people would.., uh..., uh..., "gripe" if they were getting hung with a new rope." :thumbs:

Anyway, and to satisfy my "source critics"..., let me refer them back to the very first posting on this thread. (Sarcasm intended)

I came to know the Lord back in 1972. Until three years ago the bulk of what I learned from the various pastor's my wife and I sat under, to include our children, consisted mainly of our need to get saved. Each service was totally consumed with the need to get saved! You gotta get saved; you have to come to the altar; you have to surrender your life to Christ; you need to get saved; if you don't get saved your going to hell; you are of your father the devil if you don't get saved. You gotta get saved; You gotta get saved; You gotta get saved..., over and over and over ad nauseam.

In one church we attended there was an associate pastor well into his 60's that had suffered a medical problem after being a pastor for almost 40 years.

A very in-depth individual regarding God's Word. I remember once he offered an opportunity to study the book of Ezekiel. I was ecstatic! Three evenings were set aside for these two hour classes. This man was so thorough that after three days he hadn't gotten past verse 3 of Chapter 1. Talk about being completely engrossed in his study. It was amazing to sit under this man to listen and learn.

...course, there were several in the congregation that became violently opposed to this man, Lindsey. (Much like folks on this Forum Board)

Their opposition was so bad that after about six months some of his most out-spoken critics started to die. Yep, they sure did! We lost five of 'em the result of simple accidents. One of the critics missed the second rung coming down a six foot step ladder causing him to suffer back pain for the rest of his life. Amazing! After the Pastor had retired the congregation voted to kick Lindsey out and so they did. What a shame.

Baptist are often their own worst enemy.

I know of a local pastor that told once of being involved in a (well known and honorable) Missionary Effort. How the Lord had opened the door for him after he couldn't find another church to pastor. He is very knowledgeable of the Word but uttered the following;

"After a few years of working for this (Missionary Effort) "I" decided that "I" wanted to pastor a church. So, "I" resigned and found a church."

For the next 20 years he pastored right at 11 churches to finally end up in the one we attended. It wasn't long before we left. It wasn't that he wasn't a nice guy but something was lacking. Fifteen more years later he's now fighting esophagus cancer. For sure, any of us can come down with cancer but perhaps..., well, it's very possible this man fell victim to the "I" syndrome.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

After having come to know the Lord in 1972, the Lord blessed us with a pastor that reminds me of Lindsey of so many years ago. In-depth for sure! He takes the time to explain. He causes one to think. He makes you see deep into the Word. He's a God-Send. ...and this only three years ago. Thirty seven years after that day back in 1972! Praise God!

Hopefully I'll outlive him as he's 55 and I'm 68 but for the first time since 1972 I'm learning something other that I gotta get saved.

It's tough out there brother! My suggestion is that you just keep looking; keep reading; keep seeking; keep listening; stay the course; the Lord will satisfy your spiritual understanding and excite you with knowledge in His time. He will put a man in your path that's just for you. ...and remember, sometimes we Baptist are our own worst enemies.

Consider Romans 10:14

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?"

Preacher defined as..., "to herald (as a public crier), especially, divine truth (the gospel): - preach, proclaim, publish."

Source: my personal copy of Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible (29th Printing, 1970, word number 2784, page 42.

...one of the first books I purchased after coming to know the Lord.

"Jesus said..., follow me.

Follow Him brother and hang in there!!!

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    christians also though have to realise that this is a 'discussion board", so others will have their own understandings and positions to bring on board, and also that there are time will get 'heated", especially if somone makes stange or untrue statements concerning doctrines and practices of theology!

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I like this board for a couple of reasons.

One, if we all agreed on everything, there'd be no need to post anything, and it would shut down.

It keeps my mind working and thinking. Makes me think. Makes me study. Makes me keep my Bible handy.

Baptist Board closely resembles a billboard I saw many years ago coming into a little Western Kentucky town.

Welcome to Clinton, Kentucky. Home of 1,500 happy people and one old grouch.

I think we have at least two old grouches here.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You sure ot was not a duck , and sign read lets all agree here to get 'happy/Happy/happy!"

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

This is a DEBATE site, Bob.

This is a place where we test our ideas in the fires of debate and see if they are true or not. The hotter, more scrutinizing the fires the better because we are likely to come out from them purified and strengthened.

A fiery steel making factory is not a place for pic-nics.

This is not just a forum. It is something better. It is a DEBATE forum.

It is not a place to be petted and find constant affirmation.

It is a place to burn the dross off of our our ideas so that they can come forth as gold.

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yea, but this is not our congregation.

Nobody talks to everybody the same way they talk to everybody else.

There is an appropriate way to talk to your Mother.

You don't have to talk to your son that way, though (e. g. when he cusses his mother, do you see?).

I am able to share a level of intimacy in conversation with my wife and closest friends that I ought NOT share with all of my church members.

The Bible says, "The fool utters all his mind..."

It is not good thinking to expect a pastor to talk to everybody the exact same way he is supposed to talk to his congregation.

Sometimes we dawn the mantle of a prophet and other times we dress in the garb of a comforter.

We don't wear a suit to work in the septic tank and we don't wear a bathing suit to a funeral.

It is not right thinking that a pastor is handicapped from being able to take up different roles and speak to people appropriately as those roles call for.

19. Bob in St. Louis

Thank you all for taking the time to post.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    thank you for sharing with us your concerns and thoughts!