1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

This Verse Has Been Thrown Around A Lot:

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Oct 23, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

I'll defer to Alex. Apparently I am getting too far into the "hidden wisdom of God" for some (re: justification-sanctification).

skypair

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

This is where you err. God does not "draw" believers -- believers have already "come" else they wouldn't be believers. Your theology would say He draws the "elect" but they aren't actualized as "elect" until they believe.

Now do you see how God can "draw" all men? All men are NOT believers.

skypair

#43 skypair, Oct 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2007
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God the Father draws His elect ones to Christ . The Father gives them to His Son . None of them are lost , it's an impossibility ( Jn.6:39 ) .
    The elect are not actualized as elect when they believe . They have always been elect ( before the foundation of the world Eph.1:4;2 Thess.2;13;2 Tim.1:9 ) . Yet it is in the realm of time that the Lord gives them faith and repentance .
    The Lord draws all kinds and classes of people to Himself , but He certainly does not draw every person head-for-head . Drawing is always to saving union with the Lord .

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

:laugh: :laugh: That was a good one!

6. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

Or it's exactly what Alex said:

7. Isaiah40:28

Glad you responded with that bolded part.

8. Isaiah40:28

I may not have time to fully respond to this post, Alex.
    But I must say, I'm really disappointed that you too fall into the rhetoric all too common with the non-Calvinists.
    To say, that Calvinists are "programmed" to see certain things or that we "hunt around for proof texts to fit into our theological grid" is so unjust.
    Those kind of generalizations are unhelpful in any discussion.

9. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

While unhelpful in discovering the text itself, I find such pointed comments necessary from time to time when, particularly if I feel it is true and a trend significantly manifested. However, since it was already made here I find the point made and no need to belabor it so, with your pardon and my recognition of your valid protest, may we move forward in the discussion? I am traveling this weekend so my responses won't be timely.
    Q

#49 Alex Quackenbush, Oct 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2007