1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

those pesky pop-up ads

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Ps104_33, Aug 19, 2002.

1. InHim2002

InHim2002 New Member

hmm - it will be interesting to see what happens I think.

I was not aware of this - no one at my compnay has ever paid for IE or an upgrade to it - I just had a look at the microsoft web site and couldn't find any info on this - the only bit I saw was:

and this

so i am confused - i can't find any info on charging for IE at all on their site - could you point me in the right direction?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I had this big, long dissertation on how MS actually does charge, but I fumble-fingered and lost it.

Suffice to say, whenever you buy a copy of Windows operating system, or a computer with a Windows operating system on it, the price for Internet Explorer is "built in."

Like paying for rearview mirrors on a car. You won't actually see them listed on the price list, but try buying a vehicle without them.

"But I can download IE for free!" you might respond. Why, yes, yes you can; you can even uninstall it, and use a completely different browser.

But try downloading a copy of IE for Linux. So far, I have been unable to find a version of IE for Linux, and would much appreciate a link if anyone knows of one.

If IE were completely and truly free, you should be able to find a copy compatible with all the free operating systems, too.
    ------------------------------
    And MS does, indeed, "stick it" to the corporations. For instance, the military currently pays for a certain version, and tries to get the "premier" versions of MS operating system and office software. without the "premier" agreement, we have to budget for upgrading the software each year. MS charges extra for the "premier" programs, which helps them offset the cost of not actually charging us for a completely new version.

It's all business sense, and they've pretty much got the corner on the market, because no matter what we might think of Mr. Gates, he was the smartest business man on the block.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On anothere note: Anyone know why www.pogo.com won't work on Mozilla? It seems to start the games, and then just goes into a constant holding pattern.

My wife won't let me use Mozilla if I can't get her Pogo games to work with it....