1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Those short, choppy "AH"s

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by robycop3, Apr 25, 2005.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How often have you heard a preacher go, "For God so loved the world-AH-that He gave His only begotten Son-AH-that whosoever believes in Him-AH-should not perish-AH-but have everlasting life-AH"?

Many who do this are clearly exaggerating on purpose. Rather than an unknown TONGUE, this seems to be an unknown TRACHEA. I've noticed that many such a preacher takes five minutes to quote John 3:16 or a verse of similar length. While most of'em are sincere men of God, they surely are diluting their messages. I believe they could get a lot more BIBLE-READING done if they would spend less time grunting. Yesterday, I counted 55 grunts in 8 minutes on a local SB preacher's sermon during a radio broadcast of his service.(Oh yeah...I also heard Mr. Amen in the background say his handle 23 times!)

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Dear robycop3-AH!!

What did you say-AH???

Can you repeat what you just said-AH---again-AH!!??

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Your Buddy-AH,

Blackbird-AH!!!

3. Gib

Gib Active Member

I've heard-ah few preachers speak-ah this way-ah. What's worse, is when-ah someone does that-ah when-ah they sing-ah. Can I get an Amen-ah!

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If I was so fat that I had to breathe between words and not sentences then I would sound that way too.

That is one of the reasons why good exercise is so important.

In some of those churches the theatrics are important. They think those who put on such a show are really persuasive.

I can't recall any of the pastors of large churches sounding like that.

With ahs and amens it adds a lot of time to the sermon.

5. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I'm annoyed just by reading your post about it. I don't think I could ever sit through that!

6. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I am uncomfortable with these fellers who accent there every other word with -ah also. Not all of them are "heavy weights" either.
    In my experience, it seems those preachers I have heard who do this are mostly from the south.
    Is the air that bad down there?

And what's up with "amen" all the time? Don't they know it means "so be it"?
    Try inserting THAT into every statement you make.(so be it)?
    (guilty as charged :( even on this board I will "Amen" someone's comments. It has changed meaning somewhere to mean "right on brother!)

So can I get a "so be it ah-right-ah on brother-ah?"

In HIS service;
    Jim

7. BillyMac

BillyMac New Member

If you are reduced to counting the AHs and the Amens, the message being preached is far from your mind or interest. Hopefully you didn't waste any time removing yourself from such a service or changing the radio station or TV channel.

Mostly, I've noticed this kind of habitual utterances to be a way of communicating to a certain class of people. There have been times that I have noticed here in the south that some people would follow every few statements with the word "UH-HUH" as if to say "YES THAT'S WHAT I SAID", UH-HUH, and it is quite annoying. UH-HUH.

I think it is but an addicting verbal habit. So if you are not apt to communicate this way and it becomes so annoying that the AHs and the Amens are all that you are aware of in your hearing, maybe it is time to seek an audience with a higher method of speaking. UH-HUH!

8. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

While not having any theological problem with this practice I find it extremely annoying and distracting. When I hear a preacher doing this I turn him or her off.

Bro Tony

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Especially women!

10. superdave

superdave New Member

If you have to ask for the amen, you dint earn it

can I get an amen-ah

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of the air ministries I listen to is at work in WV. (I don't think WV is really considered South cuz they seceded from Va,with a little help from Gen. Mc Clellan & Co, after Va seceded from the Union.)

I work inside a metal "shack" within a metal bldg. so my reception is limited to one Christian station(WEMM-FM, Huntington, WV) so I have no choice if I wanna listen to Christian radio at work.

Seems as if the preachers go thru the announcements all right, but about 3 minutes into the sermon, they get all torqued up & start grunting, while Mr. Amen begins to chime in.

I try to listen to as many different preachers as possible, both for learning and to know the enemy. When I hear a phony, I record his sermon for later dissection to my brethren. (I record the GOOD, CHRIST-HONORING ones also!)

Yeah, I turn off the grunters too, if they aint saying anything. A friend of mine makes a good point...that his mind aint on the MESSAGE if he's purposely grunting!

12. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

[​IMG] Seems like sometime in the past I heard it said that this particular preaching "technique" is called "Tennessee Hacking" and that it is actually TAUGHT as a preaching technique in some Church of God and/or Assembly of God Bible schools.I can't verify that as a fact but I do agree it is quite annoying at the least.Oh well...I guess if they can teach ya "tongues" they could teach ya that too.Whats PARTICULARLY ANNOYING is when you hear some Independant Baptist or Southern Baptist preacher who SHOULD KNOW BETTER doing that stuff.I can't believe they could possibly think it makes them sound more "spiritual".You think they thought that was some "unction" from on high....or something.Go figure. :eek:

Greg Sr. [​IMG] :rolleyes:

13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanx for the info, Mr.Perry! I've often wondered where that stuff came from, besides the preacher forgetting to take his allergy med Sunday morn.

Anyone else have any more info on how that annoying habit got started?

"Tennessee Hacking" = diluted message

14. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps an attitude like the apostle's would be better - "What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did that preacher have to come up for air that often?

16. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Good Point RL and so true...the message IS far more important than the "delivery"...however...it remains true that any "learned" method of delivery that can be negative or distracting should be carefully thought out and evaluated so as not to distract the hearers.I guess us "city folk" in the crowd just need something a bit more refined.I personally do try to follow the intent of any message I hear regardless of the style of delivery used...be it quiet,boisterous,or backwards......as LONG as it is BIBLE.It's the preachers of FALSE DOCTRINE I'm trying to discern and AVOID.God Bless You!

Greg Sr.

17. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Comment: Mesmerization manifests itself in many mannerisms of the tongue--e.g. hellfire and brimstone at 120 db--also the rest of the body--pulpit theatrics. That which is flesh is flesh.

"Preach the Word; reprove, rebuke, exhort--with all longsuffering and doctrine".

Selah(pause and prayerfully consider)

Bro. James

18. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

I also agree with Apostle Paul. [​IMG]

19. BroTom64

BroTom64 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Former evangelist Mike Warnke talked about being taught the "Huhs" and the "Chicken Walk" at Bible College on his album (Accually I had the 8-track) Mike Warnke Alive.

Quoted from my memory:
    "We were taught the Huhs. After every foer or five word you said Huh to show you were spiritual. "Well Bless god, HUH, We're Here Tonight, HUH, To Talk About The Love Of God, HUH.' After every fifth or sixth HUH you would jump back from the pulpit and shake to show that you had the Spirit of God on you."

Mike's next statement sums up my fealing about all of this:
    "If God gets you to doing that, fine. But, if you have to practice it, you don't have it. I had to practice it because I definitely did not have it."

I don't have it either.
    Tom

20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't sound spiritual to me...Sounds more like an ASTHMA ATTACK that needs medicated...