1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Those who concede errors in the Scriptures n order to remove conflict with science

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

2. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Apples vs Oranges

Brother...I don't (personally) think this matter has anything to do with respect or disrespect for any of these individuals that have been named on either side of this issue....but rather, I think it is a fundamental issue of either agreeing or disagreeing as to the issue of truth regarding our origins from a strictly Biblical standpoint. I see no disrespect intended.....and yes...Merry Christmas to all as well!:thumbsup:

Bro.Greg

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A non literal understanding of Genesis effects the gospel.

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I agree. If God did not create man why would He redeem man? Of course if the creation story is false then Adam and Eve did not exist, there was no fall, there is no redemption, and man of all creatures is most miserable because he has believed a lie.

5. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Absolutely!!

Rev...You are ABSOLUTELY correct...a non-literal understanding of Genesis makes the Gospel of none effect!! God forbid!!

Bro.Greg

6. quantumfaith

Rev, I still share the Gospel. I teach classes in my church. (Starting Point) Have had the honor to baptize several new believers. I do not feel compromised in any way. The "Good News" is and always will be the good news that redemption has been provided. Perhaps, for you, the fact that everyone sees the creation narrative in exactly the same way is important, for me, not so much, so long as one clearly recognizes that it was God who created.

7. quantumfaith

This is precisely the kind of quip totally uncalled for.... No one here has in anyway said that God did not create mankind. But I guess you find great satisfaction in constructing a "strawman" and then feel obliged and content to tear it down.

No more from me. Merry Christmas.

8. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 1:2-31 was six periods of evening's and morning's of twenty four hours each called days.

Yes Adam was created on the sixth of these days.

In 2:7 we are told what was created was a living soul and 2:17 we are told that God told this living soul that in the day he ate of a particular tree (sinned) dying he would surely die. Not if you eat but in the day that thou eat.

However some time before this living soul sinned and actually before this living soul was created, and in all probability before it was said let there be light, God had determined the lamb that would be without spot or blemish, his human Son, a living soul, begotten of him through a virgin woman, who would never commit a sin, would shed his precious blood and die the death that would be appointed to the yet to be created living soul, Adam.

Why?

Could it possibility be because of something that could have taken place before it was said let there be light? Why would the lamb be as a flesh and blood living soul subject to death? What was God going to do by creating a flesh and blood living soul in his image?

Would it not be the following?

Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

When did the children become partakers of flesh and blood?
    Why did the lamb, the Son of God partake of the same?
    When was it determined he would partake of the same before or after Adam was created?

Did the devil have this power? In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth, and the earth was without form, and void; and darkness upon the face of the deep.

Did God created the earth without form and void or because of the devil and death it had become that way?

What was the plan of God?

I would appreaciate each of your thoughts concerning this.

BTW I do not hold to evolution of man (living souls) or animals. I do not believe anything was evolving while the earth was without form and void.
    I believe it had become a dead planet.

#108 percho, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2012
  9. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Agreed. In fact I made the same argument in a class when I was in college and the prof was quite rude in here objection to the idea.

If you can't take God at His word on page 1 you can't take Him at His word on any page.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just finished up Ben Stein's Expelled again on Neflix. Anyone thinking Darwinism and Theism are compatible either know neither of them, or they're simply winking with the eye.

But it dawned on me this time through the piece, Wisdom crieth without. She uttereth her voice in the streets. One does not need to go to the microscope or telescope to undo Darwinism (though it won't stand up to the scrutiny of either tool)—just look at the fruits of Darwinism here and abroad.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF Adam and Eve were not real people, if the fall is somehow cast as a Myth or allegory, than the concept of the grace of God in the Cross is pretty much nullified and made void, for what need a saviour if the fall was not actual/real time event?

basic problem is that many try to have science as the source that is trustworthy and force the bible thu that lense, opposie is true, as NO truth in the Bible will by contridicted by ANY scientific fact so called if the science evidence has been properily interpretated!

#111 Yeshua1, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2012
  12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Think about what the elements were when Genesis was written. Knowing that would easily explain the communication to the people of God in terms of what they understood and in the usage of words they understood. Give it a few more years and this century will look archaic and full of poor science.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet the words of God will remain the same.

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes and that means the words must be interpreted in light of their historical context.

15. OldRegular

When was Genesis written and what were the elements when Genesis was written?

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Probably not any more than earth, wind, and fire. Certainly not Lawrencium.

17. OldRegular

When God created he created all the energy and mass that exists. That is consistent with the First Law of Thermodynamics!

However all this is irrelevant to what Scripture tells us about creation!

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One question:

Did Christ rise from the dead? I mean truly. In history, was a man killed, and then raised back to life, seen of the Apostles and others, ascended and send the Spirit?

Did this really happen?

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Holy freaking cow. What about water? Gold? Silver?

How long do any of the man-made elements in the periodic chart exist at any one time?

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Science is repeatable. I cannot think of one time when Jesus' resurrection was ever proven scientifically. The Bible is not a scientific document.

Science and history are different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.