1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

those who voted Obama...they are taking businesses!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by rbell, May 20, 2009.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In 1970 the U.S. government hired illegals to cut the disease out of trees in the pacific northwest. I wonder who was president then? Haven't the crooks just changed their name?

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

There is another side to this, without government intervention Chrysler would have probably been liquidated in bankruptcy which means ALL the employees would have lost their jobs and this guy would be in the exact same position. IOW, he was going to be in this position with or without government intervention.

Because the government intervened stories like this are limited to a portion of the dealers. I think it's unfortunate George's dealership was one that didn't survive the cut, but the flip side is many other jobs were saved.

Question.... Has the Obama administration given one dime to the auto industry? Not GMAC the finance company, the car makers?

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Just curious, was specific part of the constitution is the powers been over reached?

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The conservatives did support Bush. They gave him loads of money to run. They encouraged him to send manufacturing jobs to other countries and to lower the import duty just like thye have so many other presidents so they could make more money. Now we are dealing with China in an effort to lower the national debt. It takes nothing to move merchandise from one country to anoither and sell it. Not one manufacturer had to pay anything in this country for labor. India has a tutoring system in place where children from the U.S. can call on the phone and get help with their studies. Why have universities and schools when you can have online education and tutors to help them for much less than we can pay an American teacher? Isn't everything the U.S does about capitalism?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No excessive wages, taxes, and forced unionization did that. Americans are free and free to conduct business anywhere in the world they want. If you do not like businesses going overseas then see to it it is worth their while to do business in the States. Otherwise start your own manufacturing plant. But what is not an option is redistributing the wealth and keeping businesses in the states. Sorry facts are facts. And I do not blame them.

#25 Revmitchell, May 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2009
  6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess conservatives don't live up to their supposed reputation for being patriotic after all if conservatives don't think that businesses should put their homeland above money.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do conservatives give compared to what libbies give to those in need? I rest my case.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which has nothing to do with your post and my response to it.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Conservatives did support Bush at first, then when he showed his true colors, most turned a blind eye to him. To answer your last question, this country is not all about capitalism. It is about the Constitution. It is about pursuing life, liberty and happiness without government interference, and setting our own destiny. Frankly, the rest of your posts about other countries, who cares. We are Americans, and have plenty of problems to solve right here, but as usual, most do not realize the solution does not in electing one of the two major parties, it resides in our individual pride.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You got me there. It is the closest conservative I could come up with after Reagan. If it were possible for John F Kennedy to have run against Bush the Second, who would have been to the right? Give it some thought. Or Harry Truman against Bush the Second?

11. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You and I know you will not get an accurate answer. Too many people believe in Capitalism almost as much as in the Gospel. It's all about money, and every failure is blamed on the U.S. worker. Now if we could outsource our pastor's to China or India, you would get a completely different response.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    With the continued advances in communication that may be coming. :smilewinkgrin:

13. targus

targus New Member

You sound like Biden. He tried to equate paying higher taxes to being patriotic.

How exactly is paying someone more than a task is worth patriotic just because that the worker is an American?

America is about liberty - not being held hostage to union demands for wages above the value of the work done.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) You don't understand that employing an American instead of someone in another country is patriotic?

2) Laying aside your blind hatred for unions, union workers make up only about 12% of the work force in the United States.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The import duties used to be high now they almost do not exist. The U.S. government has helped them to leave by making it easy to import goods.
    Sometime take a look at how workers in other countries are treated and then tell us you could easily support such sweat shops and mistreatment. If I had treated my employees like that in the business I had I would have been put in jail. That is the reason why we implemented laws against those kind of things. Just do a google search on Bhopal and ask yourself if you would be willing to subject yourself to that kind of care by a company. Don't kid yourself companies are in business for a profit and some do not acre at all anyone except themselves. If you would send you kids to work each day instead of school, things would be cheaper in the U.S. Perhaps you do not know why we have child labor laws, compulsory education, and OSHA. If someone in another country get hurt the family takes care of that person and they might lose everything they own. That does not happen in America and that sort of practice ended about 1970.

The students from China will tell you that the goods from their country are very high here. Chinese good sold in China sell for much less than Chinese goods sold in the U.S. I wonder why?

So are you suggesting that a portion of every dollar end up overseas? If 40% of every item is profit then that amount returns to the company located in another country to line the pockets of the capitalists who make use of American benefits and pay little taxes. Would any other country allows its work to be scaterred abroad and workers lose jobs. The last few years the insurance companies in America have made record profits. Medical doctors at one time complained about Medicare rates and now they are much better than what insurance pays. While at the same time the average American has much more stuff. We are the largest consumer of goods in the world. When I was in Europe I asked people what they spent for food and I was told the same amount we spend here. Yet the price for food was about 80% more.

Why not carry capitalism into the church and start pastorless churches? It is being done today in America now. Why have any local churches when we can tune in the TV and have great preaching. Paying a pastor (especially for a small church) is very expensive. By doing that the money can be given to a much larger ministry. Imagine what could be done with the money if a church did not pay a pastor and perhaps the people would work more to reach others rather than waiting on a pastor.

Why not send at least 50% of the money given on a Sunday to other parts of the world instead of using it here in the local church. That is what the American consumer does each time it buys an item from another country where there is little duty.

I can remember when an item from Japan could be bought from Mexico cheaper than it coiuld be bought from Japan.

We could do the same think with education. We could have all of our education done through online education from teachers in other countries. Why even pay to do research in America? Just charge Americans high prices and use their dollars to benefit a company located in another country. Why employ Americans at all? Just use their dollars for private gain.

16. targus

targus New Member

No matter how high the wage demand by the American?

Why don't you go to your employer and tell him that it would be patriotic for him to double your wages and see what he says.

"Blind hatred"? Your hyperbole is nothing short of silly.

I mention unions because those are the jobs that seem to be most frequently outsourced off shore - because those are the jobs that are most frequently paid more than they are worth.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Americans did that for years. Recently it has become more about economics and capitalism than the constitution. It has become more about price and greed than serving others especially our own household first.

Americans in the past did set their own destiny. They paid little taxes and most children did not graduate from high school. Some never graduated from the eighth grade. They had no cars and dirt roads. When someone in their family was hurt the family paid and sometimes lost everything they owned. I remember when I was a kid I had gotten to know some kids who rode the same bus to school I did. I asked them about them moving to their home. Then one morning I saw why. Their dad had his legs blown off in a dynamite blast while working for a company. The family lost their home and had to move just to pay the bills. Today that would not happen due to insurance. Which America do we want?

For 35 years I had a company that employed Americans and I lived well. I was a part of the community and had a good reputation. In the past few years I started seeing a trend. Years ago I was asked to build a home or building and then the people asked about what it would cost. I knew the people wanted me to do the work and it was a matter of doing what they wanted within the budget they had. Recently, their children would ask for a price to determine if they could get what they wanted for a cheaper price. They did not understand value and quality. If they had a problem with someone they hired, guess who they came to even if they had asked me for a price? Eventually my clients were the rich and when that happened my life became much better. I no longer built anything for the average person. The rich wanted the work I could do and never asked for a price.

18. targus

targus New Member

You are aware that everytime you buy something made outside of the US that you are responsible for the employment of someone other than an American are you not?

Do you buy only 100% American made products?

Your car, appliances, electronics, clothes, food, etc?

If not, why would you hold others to a higer standard than you hold yourself?

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The U.S. is happier to pay welfare than employ someone. Years ago I had a blind roommate. after graduating from college with honors he became employed as a part of a grant to help people in his case. For many years he worked in the aerospace industry until the grant was cut. Today he gets $1000 per month for doing absolutely nothing. Imagine the reduction in income he instantly saw. Imagine sitting aorund doing nothing because nobosy will hire a blind person.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So? It wouldn't matter anyway American businesses are going where is is least expensive to to business.

Rare and not relevant. Very few if any American businesses do business this way today.

Who cares?

I have not suggested anything of the such.