1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thoughts from Mike Cosper

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 12strings, Jun 20, 2013.

1. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I was blessed to be able to attend the THINK: WORSHIP conference this week at Southern Seminary in Louisville. One of the speakers was Mike Cosper, from Sojourn Community Church in Louisville. Here's my brief notes from his talk:

3 False goals of Worship Leading:
    1. Emotional Intimacy - "I just want you to feel like god is hugging you."
    2. Spiritual Cheerleaders - Get everybody amped and excited.
    3. Put on a Spectacle that people will want to come back and see what happens next week.

The reason we do these things is because we think that's how people change, and we think that's what brings people back, but these false goals are driven by our culture of consumerism and instant gratification, and aiming for them tempts us to focus on pleasing the individual.

THE ALTERNATIVE: Use every available means (music, prayer, scripture, sermon, Lord's supper) to expose your people to a story bigger than themselves: THE GOSPEL. Help them see the God who delivers...it's a story that is better than all the other things that people pour themselves into hoping to be delivered and saved from their troubles...

Music does not usher people into the presence of God. Worship leaders don't do it either. Christ does it.

Make sure even Christians understand both the offense and the assurance of the Gospel.