1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thoughts on the Doctor of Divinity

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by rustynail, Mar 2, 2005.

1. rustynail

rustynail New Member

Any thoughts regarding the Doctor of Divinity degree? I've always been confused by this degree, mainly because I've heard so many opinions about it. Is this an honorary degree only or is there such thing as an earned Doctor of Divinity in the U.S.? How would this compare with the Doctor of Ministry or the Doctor of Theology? What about the spelling of the degree initials? I've seen both D.D. and D.Div. Does this matter? Please help me to clarify some of these questions.
    Rusty

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

Hey Rusty,

My understanding is that the D.D. is an honorary degree, at least in the U.S. I've seen some unaccredited institutions offer it as an "earned" degree, but that makes no sense to me. If you did earn a D.D., most folks who know anything about degrees would assume it was honorary. BTW, one holder of a D.D. says that it stands for "Didn't Do" it. [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Bill

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rustynail,

Broadus has "hit the rusty nail on the head!" The D. D. use to be an earned degree back some time in our history, here as well as England.

I have an evagelist friend who has one and he refers to it as "Donated Dignity!" That is about what it is worth.

sdg!

rd

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A DD (not ADD, although . . ) is now only honorary and usually given to a speaker at commencement/baccalaureate as well as "worthy" others. No one "earns" one.

Until the early 60's it was usually given to a person who COULD have earned a doctorate had they finished work or stayed in school. Instead they went out into some area of ministry and did a great contribution to the church. I know some men who were 55-75 years old who had PROVEN this and I rejoiced at their honoring.

Sadly, it soon began to be a "bone" thrown to big supporters of schools, pastors who sent lots of students, or [worse] pastors who "pay back" each other - you give ME an honorary degree, I'll give YOU one.

If a man did college, seminary, grad and ThD work, he would be about 28-30 years old. I have seen men that were 30 get an "honorary" doctorate for their great contribution to christianity. Makes me want to hurl.

Pillsbury BBC, where I taught, stopped the practice of giving ANY DD. It would be a blessing to see the same in these little mickey-mouse schools that are proliferating honorary degrees to every Dr. Tom, Dr. Dick and Dr. Harry.

And no, Dr. Bob is NOT an honorary degree. Who would give ME one??

5. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Interesting....I used to subscribe to The Sword of the Lord. I am not a part of the Independent Baptist crowd, but I was curious about what was going on among them. About every other issue 2-4 pages were dedicated to church advertisements. Most had pics of their pastor. More often than not, he was "Dr. So-and-So." Some of them appeared to be mighty young to have earned doctorates. Hmmmmm...